Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM

57 posts, read 261,850 times

Advertisements

If you had to pick one place to have dinner on a double date with good friends, where in Asheville would you go? Not looking for fancy, but a great Asheville experience with great food. It is our first time visiting ...Pubs work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 AM

49 posts, read 178,157 times
I hear the Lobster Trap downtown is pretty much a can't-miss. For a more 'uniquely Asheville' type of experience, try the Mellow Mushroom downtown.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 AM

thanks! i've actually been to the mellow mushroom in savannah, ga - very cool place!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,234 times
Check out earlier thread: "Asheville Restaurants: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". You can see a lot of opinions about good and less-than-good spots.

Good luck - there are so many good choices!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
I like the Tupelo Honey Cafe in downtown Asheville, just a block west from where Haywood Street empties out into the little park.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM

tupelo honey a good dinner spot too? i've heard a lot about their brunch...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM

16 posts, read 56,223 times
Mellow Mushroom in Asheville is AWFUL. TERRIBLE service, has been for years. If you don't mind waiting 2 hours for a pizza then this is the place to go. And the Asheville Mellow Mushroom is vastly different than any other Mellow Mushroom I've ever seen.

Three GREAT restaurants in Asheville that are fairly cheap and they give you huge portions. The first is Asaka which is in Biltmore. The second is Apollo Flame which is located just south of Biltmore or on Airport Rd. There is also a place called Bilagio's which is the same thing as Apollo Flame and is located in Woodfin. Frazier's is a great restaurant and is located on Merrimon Ave just past Beaver Lake.

These are the best places to eat in Asheville IMO.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,914 times
Mellow Mushroom service is definitely slow, but it's also one of the only restaurants downtown with great outdoor seating. The pizza is a little over-priced, but it is also really, really good. There's something to be said for not getting pushed through a restaurant in 45 minutes so they can serve more people. You could sit all evening at Mellow Mushroom and no one would care.

I would say if you have time to kick back and want to sit outside and catch up with old friends over a pitcher of beer, you could do a lot worse than Mellow Mushroom.

My vote for best restaurant in Asheville is Mela, on Lexington Avenue. GREAT Indian food, especially if you aren't afraid of spice. Great lunch buffet, great dinners, pretty inexpensive for the quality of food and atmosphere.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I don't know what the best restaurant is in Asheville, but I have a question on restaurants in the area. A friend of mine recently moved to Asheville from out of state, and she said they smoke in the restaurants. It didn't appeal to her and sure as hell would not appeal to me. I find it strange that Asheville of all places in the state would allow smoking in this day and age. Even Tennessee is now non smoking. Is there no non smoking restaurants in the area besides fast food?

Last edited by Jimrob1; 05-13-2008 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: incorrect spelling

Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM

49 posts, read 178,157 times
I'm amazed at the apparent brainwash done by Apollo Flame Bistro. Yes, it has a nice family atmosphere. Yes, prices are extremely reasonable. Yes, the portions are huge. Their marketing is also excellent as they have "Best in WNC" signs all over town.

But the food is flat out awful. Now it's possible I've just had bad luck, but I've been to 25+ Greek restaurants in my life (love Greek food) and Apollo Flame is definitely the worst in regards to food quality. The first time I went with my wife, I ordered a gyro platter, which was pretty disgusting. The "gyro" meat was steak-ums style tasteless mystery meat, and the almost crunchy pita tasted at least a few days old. My wife ordered the pizza, which she didn't care for either.

Nevertheless, we wanted to give this place another try with all the "positive press" around town. So we did. Big mistake. This time, I ordered the lasagna. Hard to screw that up, right? It came out piping hot (good so far!) but when I dug in, I realized it was two thin layers of tasteless pasta stuffed with a ridiculous amount of tomato sauce, presumably to make the portion seem larger. Right as I was about to go for another big bite of tomato sauce, a black blob caught my eye. Not sure what it was, I picked it up with my fork and found myself staring at a gigantic dead fly smothered in tomato sauce. It was so big it looked like it died from gorging itself in AF kitchen. I have to say that the server was very apologetic when I brought it to her attention, and offered us a free dessert. However, needless to say we won't be going back. All I have to say on Apollo Flame is do not believe the hype. It's nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina