U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,048,568 times

Advertisements

mam pam, I just read your profile and ... was suprised. You seem to dislike liberals a lot and even considering asheville shows, that you havn't done your homework very well.....
but at least you did it BEFORE you moved to WNC.
For sure there is more than humidity, you have to worry about

texas might be a good fit. and not too humid, too

Last edited by queenofbavaria; 02-24-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 AM

651 posts, read 505,750 times
Mama Pam said: "That being said, just when do the buds start to develop on the trees there in Asheville? Also, my husband claims that the humidity is so severe that it is difficult to even breathe."

I have daffodils and crocuses popping up in my garden. Unfortunately they are in the process of being covered by the snow at the moment. Our spring starts late February and lasts until early June. I lived 23 years in Chicago where spring lasted 5 days. I love the climate in the mountains! You can actually enjoy the seasons. As for humidity, in the mountains it is not bad. I didn't use the airconditioning in my house once last summer. When you get out of the mountains the humidity gets bad. In the mountains, no so much. That said, our air quality is suffering due to Tennessee industry. Not really the best place if you have respiratory problems.

Mama Pam said: "I hear a lot about how liberal Asheville is. We lived in Bozeman, Montana for a year and it was getting pretty liberal there. That was during the presidential campaign so maybe most of those folks have waken up (how's that hope and change workin' for ya...??). I just found that they seemed so angry all of the time and kind of dirty...grungy...threwing their garbage out of their vehicles (how's that for eco-mindedness??)"

This is why the locals don't like Yankees. There are plenty of good, Christian AND non-Christian, hard working people around here and they love their mountains and want to keep them clean. If you are the type of person who rents a condo in downtown Asheville then complains of the noise from the drum circle on Friday night or how the roads downtown are often closed for festivals - don't bother moving here. This is a very open-minded region. People who quote S. Palin in earnest are definitely in the minority. Yes, we have homeless and people who walk around looking like they are homeless. Doesn't every town of a decent size?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 AM

214 posts, read 443,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post

This is why the locals don't like Yankees. There are plenty of good, Christian AND non-Christian, hard working people around here and they love their mountains and want to keep them clean. If you are the type of person who rents a condo in downtown Asheville then complains of the noise from the drum circle on Friday night or how the roads downtown are often closed for festivals - don't bother moving here. This is a very open-minded region. People who quote S. Palin in earnest are definitely in the minority. Yes, we have homeless and people who walk around looking like they are homeless. Doesn't every town of a decent size?
Ummm, I could be considered a Yankee since I grew up in Connecticut - a bastion of Yankees and I am environmentally friendly, love noise circles, festivals etc. I think you are lumping everyone together no differently than MamaPam. I am also not judgemental about people from different backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, or political leanings. One of my best friends is a Sarah Palin supporter, Christian and we just agree to disagree on things. Why don't people just realize that not everyone has to fit into a specific mold? I know lots of Yankees just like myself!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm also a Yankee - from northern Illinois. I've lived here over 18 years. However, just like the locals I do get tired of people moving to the mountains and then complaining about everything here. In my profession, I hear A LOT of trash talk about our area from people wishing to move here. It's not very endearing. It sounded like Mama Pam was off to a bad start already.
BTW - I love the diversity of this area. It's what makes it so interesting. Some of our friends are in to crystals and some vortex thing. We just roll our eyes but listen respectfully. Truth is, you never know. There was a gay pride rally the day we got married. Loved it! Our best friends are about as far to the right as we are to the left. We hash out politics then get a good laugh over a glass of wine. I am not lumping everyone together. What I was reading was someone who does not appreciate diversity which our mountains have in abundance.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 PM

356 posts, read 297,513 times
Mama pam, If you move here I know that you will be treated with respect from the Liberals. Can you say the same? From reading your post perhaps not. Maybe Texas or Alaska would be a better fit.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm actually wondering if Mamapam was trolling...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I'm also a Yankee - from northern Illinois. I've lived here over 18 years. However, just like the locals I do get tired of people moving to the mountains and then complaining about everything here.
On the Yankee part - I was thinking but wait he can't be a Yankee if he's from Illinois but actually according to Webster's Dictionary - a good portion of us would be considered Yankees

Main Entry: 1Yan·kee
Pronunciation: \ˈyaŋ-kē\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1758

1 a : a native or inhabitant of New England b : a native or inhabitant of the northern United States
2 : a native or inhabitant of the United States

On the part about people moving and complaining - I've found that in so many places we've lived. I think people are so influenced by other people saying how much they love a place and that "you know you'll love it there" that they don't really make sure they'll love it. And how often do vacationers decide they must move to a place solely based on a vacation which many of us know simply is not the way to evaluate a place. It's really impossible to know if you'll like a place until you've lived there for awhile. Sorry to hear so many people complain - I heard that all the time in Argentina as well

Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM

"On the Yankee part - I was thinking but wait he can't be a Yankee if he's from Illinois but actually according to Webster's Dictionary - a good portion of us would be considered Yankees"

That's something else i have learned living here. If you are not from here, then the locals consider you a Yankee. If you complain and try to change things, then you are a damn Yankee. They really don't care if you are from Maine, Illinois, Florida or Texas. It's becoming a term used to describe anyone not from this area. I had several lessons in this when I moved here from various co-workers.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM

1,976 posts, read 1,946,330 times
I don't think the woman who posted on here is even reading these boards anymore, but for the sake of people who might read this thread, I would like to give my two cents. This is a liberal-minded town, big-time. Asheville itself is very liberal, very forward-thinking, very different from a lot of places. People are big on eco-consciousness, recycling, compost, buying local, etc. Those are things that I think anyone could appreciate. Still, it is politically very liberal as well. I see thousands of Obama stickers around here, and very rarely do I see anything supporting republicans. If that bothers you, this is not the place for you.

HOWEVER, the surrounding areas are very different from Asheville in some ways. For instance, go to any town in Madison County and you will find people to be much more conservative politically. However, it seems to be part of WNC mountain culture to buy local, be eco-friendly, etc. We live in a beautiful place, and we want it to stay that way. Generally, southern Appalachian thinking is based on "common sense"; people are very logical about things and most are not blindly loyal to their ideals. People tend to take things for what they are and make their decisions accordingly. Rhetoric is not going to win over too many people in WNC, although I personally feel that Obama used his rhetoric to win the favor of Asheville, and it worked for him. The thing is, a lot of the people here (in town) who supported him in the election still support him.

So, to make a long story short, this is not a place for hard-core, Glenn Beck conservatives. I have no problem with those type of people, as one of my parents is that way, but I think that if that is how you feel, you would be alienated by the liberal attitude here. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to visit and find out for yourself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-22-2010 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 31,523 times
I'd like to jump on this bandwagon. My fiance and I are spending our honeymoon in Sept in Asheville and are seriously considering it as a place to move with our young son. He is 2 and 1/2, so I would like to be near a good day care/school district as we will both be working. What areas should I avoid and/or try to get in to? We are all big foodies and ultimately plan to open our own little shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina