Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:12 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times

Advertisements

I agree that with gas prices the way they are and up here they tend to be a bit higher, you need to be close to ASU. You may check Craigs List for people renting their homes or apts. I put my apartment on Craigs List and it was rented within 24 hours. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 PM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
Default Commuting to Boone

Leaves, Where do you live? Have you ever commuted from Mountain City in the winter? It's 22 very long miles from "downtown" Mountain City to Boone. I was in Doe Valley (just west of Mtn City) commuting to Deep Gap (8 miles east of Boone), 40 miles and 50 minutes, total. In December 2005 I had my first major black ice wreck at Buttermilk Rd. on 421. Totaled my truck but we walked away. Buttermilk Rd is just over the state line in Tennessee. Not great in the winter.

Also, when I lived in Vilas, commuting to Boone was a real hassle because of the traffic. I used Tater Hill/Howards Creek Rd a lot. Fifty percent of the residents in Johnson Co. TN (Mtn City) work in Boone. From 7 to 8:30 am traffic is bumper to bumper all the way from Zionville to the 105 bypass. If there's a wreck at Linville Creek Rd (happens a LOT) you'll sit there for hours! To add to that misery, widening work is scheduled to begin on that stretch in July 2009. For those reasons, I don't think west is the way to go.

I would go out towards Todd (to the north, used to live there too!) or possibly as far as Foscoe to the south, or even east towards Blowing Rock. There is an awful lot of housing available, but the key word is "affordable." There are at least 2 in the $500 range in the Mountain Times classifieds right now. Most are in the $700 to $1500 range. Check it out: The Mountain Times - Classifieds

Oh, and Wilkes is another long gas sucking haul up the mountain, 30 miles to campus, also where there are no jobs. Tyson just closed another plant and there are 300+ more people all looking for jobs in Wilkes County . . . Good luck with that!

Blessings!
Tracey

Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM

20 posts, read 50,831 times
Default Johnson City to far from Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair5.7 View Post
I may be attending ASU this fall to complete my Masters. I am trying to find a place that has affordable housing, low crime, decent employment opportunities, decent shopping, and an excellent school system for my 12 year-old daughter. I'm looking at Boone, Hickory/Lenoir, West Jefferson, Wilkesboro, and Johnson City,TN as communities that offer a reasonable commute to ASU. I have driven through these areas as a tourist once before, but I know I am only seeing one side of the equation. I do not possess the intimate knowledge that you receive after having lived somewhere. If someone can fill help fill in the gaps and make some recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it. This is a big move for my family and I and I want to try and get it right. Thanks in advance for your response.
I would advise aganst Johnson City. That is quiet a hike to Boone. Mountain City, Tn is about as far away as I would go. The good thing about MC is Tennessee has no state income tax.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Tennessee Taxes

Tennessee has no Income Tax, but the sales tax rate in Johnson County (Mountain City) is 8.5%. It was 9% when I lived there. They added .5 cents to cover a bond referendum. Many people travel to Boone or Virginia to shop.

The state gas tax is 20 cents, on top of the Federal gas tax of 18.4 cents.

Property taxes in Johnson County are as follows (assigned to appraised value):

Residential Property - 25%
Farm Property - 25%
Commercial & Industrial - 40%
Public utility Property - 55%
Business Personal Property - 30%

Oh, then theres a vehicle tax now, or so I've heard. I could be wrong about that one.

No, there's no income tax . . .

Tracey

Old 06-07-2008, 08:15 AM

63 posts, read 356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Residential Property - 25%
Farm Property - 25%
Commercial & Industrial - 40%
Public utility Property - 55%
Business Personal Property - 30%
So, a Johnson County homeowner with a $100,000 house pays $25,000/year in property tax? That can't be right.

This page (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/LR.asp?W=07 - broken link) shows a base mill rate ($ tax/$100 valuation) of $2.03, which would calculate to a tax bill of $2,030 on a $100,000 property. That's a good bit higher than in NC, but not quite as bad as the above would be.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 AM

You are correct, I didn't know what I was looking at! I was looking at the assessment rates, not the tax rates. That's what I get for being in a hurry. One good thing about it . . . we learn from our mistakes!

Here is the Tennessee site that explains (almost) everything!

Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments (http://www.comptroller.state.tn.us/pa/pahtfytb.htm - broken link)

And here are the Johnson County Property Tax rates and reappraisal schedule:

Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - County Assessment Summary (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/CountyAssessmentSummary.asp?c=46 - broken link)

Blessings,
Tracey

Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,501 times
Anywhere in Watauga County would be your best bet. As others have said, gas prices and mountain roads will offset the higher rent prices. If you stay out of Boone city limits, the whole area is generally very safe. Many really good areas in Boone as well, however, I'd be careful as to where in Boone the property is. As many others have said, mountaintimes.com is the best resource.
As far as the snow, and winter roads go, don't panic.... I live in the Matney area which gets snow when no one else does, I had to use 4 wheel slide three times this year. The roads are not as bad as some people say, and its very seldom (once in the last two years) they will actually stop you from going where you want or need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina