Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:47 AM

376 posts, read 1,058,696 times

Advertisements

Asheville is a lovely city. I don't live there, so I can't offer any insider tips, but I have visited the city and it is probably the most charming city in NC of that size that I've seen in a decade of living in this state. I've considered moving to Colorado, and have thought about Boulder. You live in Denver. What do you think of Boulder?

Old 06-14-2022, 06:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,436,841 times
Someone once told me that Greenville is Asheville if Asheville took a bath. Always stuck with me.

I use to love Asheville, had several friends that went to UNCA so was up there a lot in the 90's when we'd go hangout but the last couple of times (only a few times in the last 5 years or so) I've not had great times and it's just felt like it's degrading.

On the flip side I've loved Greenville but really only spent time in downtown but always felt safe, clean and people are very friendly. I'd give GVL a significant edge in restaurants and bars as well as walkability of the downtown. Asheville does has some great history though which would give them the edge there.

I've been to Denver a couple of times and could see how someone would have a hard time with either city esp if they prefer a metro/urban feel. Neither of those places have that same Denver vibe.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:33 PM

112 posts, read 167,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Asheville is a lovely city. I don't live there, so I can't offer any insider tips, but I have visited the city and it is probably the most charming city in NC of that size that I've seen in a decade of living in this state. I've considered moving to Colorado, and have thought about Boulder. You live in Denver. What do you think of Boulder?
Boulder is cool, but it's been expensive since I moved west in 2007 so it was never really on my radar. I'd consider a move there to be closer to some outdoors options, but to me a difference between the front range of Colorado and the mountains of NC is that here, you have to look west for your mountain recreation whereas in Asheville and other parts of NC that I saw, you have 360 degrees of outdoors options to choose from.

At this point my wife and I are ready for a change from the arid climate and places we've already explored. If I had no experience with either Boulder or Asheville and cost was not an issue, it would be a tough choice as I feel both have so much to offer.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:20 PM

34,851 posts, read 30,941,798 times
While neither area has an arid climate at all, Asheville has milder summers, is a bit less humid, and is closer to more temperate rainforest types of areas in Transylvania County and maybe parts of Henderson County.

Asheville does get heat (through Thursday is supposed to be above 90, as well as some parts of next week, but that is fairly rare), but Greenville gets far more of it, and for far longer.

Asheville has better summers, Greenville better winters, IMO.

I prefer Greenville's downtown. Greenville has a nice arena in Bon Secours and a little hockey team (the Swamp Rabbits). Asheville's Harrah's area downtown isn't used as well IMO. Asheville has a better music scene. Greenville has better big box shopping, Asheville has better boutiques/small businesses. Asheville has a miles better alcohol scene. Greenville is cheaper with newer housing stock.

There's a big difference there. I like both.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:36 PM

6,558 posts, read 4,193,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Someone once told me that Greenville is Asheville if Asheville took a bath. Always stuck with me.

I use to love Asheville, had several friends that went to UNCA so was up there a lot in the 90's when we'd go hangout but the last couple of times (only a few times in the last 5 years or so) I've not had great times and it's just felt like it's degrading.

On the flip side I've loved Greenville but really only spent time in downtown but always felt safe, clean and people are very friendly. I'd give GVL a significant edge in restaurants and bars as well as walkability of the downtown. Asheville does has some great history though which would give them the edge there.

I've been to Denver a couple of times and could see how someone would have a hard time with either city esp if they prefer a metro/urban feel. Neither of those places have that same Denver vibe.
I guess you haven’t been to the west side of Greenville if you think ‘Greenville is Asheville if Asheville took a bath’. This part of Greenville is seedy and rundown.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I guess you haven’t been to the west side of Greenville if you think ‘Greenville is Asheville if Asheville took a bath’. This part of Greenville is seedy and rundown.

Every city has areas that are seedy and rundown. Most people researching to move to a city on City Data aren't moving to those areas. The person who originally said this was referring to the people, less hippy in Greenville, which I don't think anyone would argue.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Every city has areas that are seedy and rundown. Most people researching to move to a city on City Data aren't moving to those areas. The person who originally said this was referring to the people, less hippy in Greenville, which I don't think anyone would argue.
The implication is that hippy-type people don’t take baths and are not clean. I find this statement offensive and not true.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:49 PM

405 posts, read 312,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundele View Post
Boulder is cool, but it's been expensive since I moved west in 2007 so it was never really on my radar. I'd consider a move there to be closer to some outdoors options, but to me a difference between the front range of Colorado and the mountains of NC is that here, you have to look west for your mountain recreation whereas in Asheville and other parts of NC that I saw, you have 360 degrees of outdoors options to choose from.

At this point my wife and I are ready for a change from the arid climate and places we've already explored. If I had no experience with either Boulder or Asheville and cost was not an issue, it would be a tough choice as I feel both have so much to offer.
Boulder is awesome. And expensive.

Regarding Asheville versus Greenville, SC there is no comparison. Asheville wins hands down. In every way in my opinion. However, it is tiny compared to Denver, and a bit isolated in my opinion. Great to visit Asheville – Waynesville, but couldn’t live there year round.

My business partner and his wife (from Denver) are thinking about moving to Charleston, SC. It’s the only city in South Carolina that I like and it is very international. They love it too.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:46 AM

Has Asheville figured out their aggressive homeless population and subsequent rampant crime problem yet? That's why I stopped going there and by the looks at the data on this site and others, it's only gotten worse. Well worse than the national average and significantly worse than Greenville as well.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Has Asheville figured out their aggressive homeless population and subsequent rampant crime problem yet? That's why I stopped going there and by the looks at the data on this site and others, it's only gotten worse. Well worse than the national average and significantly worse than Greenville as well.

Actually, Asheville has a number of initiatives that has addressed the homeless issue. You can read about these by doing a Google search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina