Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 10,323 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is such a great resource and I have already enjoyed reading many of the posts to help narrow down the field, but would love some direct insights from anyone who cares to chime in.

How do Boone & Brevard compare to Black Mountain (size, vibe, stores, restaurants, beauty etc. - I've put some more bullets below about what I'm hoping to find). I'm using Black Mountain as a baseline because I've been there and, while amidst beautiful scenery which I loved, found it a little too quaint for my tastes (quilt shops, antiques etc.). I did appreciate the lack of box stores though! I also visited Waynesville (didn't quite hit the mark), West Asheville (fun but a bit too surbubia/busy/traffic - loved the brew pub there), Asheville (so much fun! but i'm not a city girl). Just like many others, I'm looking for the impossible - a small Asheville!

I particularly love:
- Vibrant, walkable downtown
- Fun pubs/bars
- Non-chain restaurants
- Coffee shops
- Lively farmer's markets that attracts locals (good way to meet folks)
- Natural food store/co-op
- Friendly people

My plan would be to live within, roughly, a 5 mile radius of a small town on a few acres (for expansive gardening, chickens, dogs, and possibly a horse/cow/sheep or 2).

Perhaps worth noting in case helpful - I also visited Staunton, VA & Floyd, VA. Staunton was great - good sized town. Floyd was fabulous (such a pretty area) but a bit too small and isolated.

I'll be relocating from New Hampshire.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 12:29 PM

289 posts, read 489,288 times
I would add Hendersonville to your list. Nice walkable downtown and plenty of unique restaurants, but also has a good bit outside the town center. Close to Asheville, but benefits of smaller town.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:53 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonmom View Post
I would add Hendersonville to your list. Nice walkable downtown and plenty of unique restaurants, but also has a good bit outside the town center. Close to Asheville, but benefits of smaller town.
You beat me to it. As I read her post, I thought this is Hendersonville. As to your question, Boone is dissimilar to both Black Mountain and Brevard in that it is a college town with colder temperatures in the winter and much more snow. (Black Mountain is close to Montreal College, but it is very small). I personally prefer Brevard to Black Mountain, but there are others who feel the opposite way. Brevard is really cute, quaint, and close to outdoor activities. It has all you’re looking for. BUT, I would also take a close look at Hendersonville, specifically from downtown and toward the south and southwest sides. Hendersonville has everything you’re looking for as well, and because of its size, has a lot more, plus is conveniently located close to Asheville and not far from Greenville, SC. Not sure if this makes a difference - Hendersonville, Brevard, and Black Mountain have a relatively large retiree population. Boone has a different and younger feel because of the university.

Last edited by Lizap; 01-22-2023 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2023, 01:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Boone checks every single one of your wants. It is a college town home to Appalachian State University, the largest college in the WNC mountain region with about 20,000 students. It's got a great funky downtown with plenty of non-chain eateries, but there are chains there too. There are some bog box stores (Walmart, Lowe's), but plenty of cool unique shops. It's pretty vibrant.

If a college town is not what you are looking for the smaller nearby towns of Blowing Rock or Banner Elk might appeal. They attract lots of tourists and are popular with retirees as are Hendersonville and Brevard.

Old 01-22-2023, 02:59 PM

Thank you poppydog, Lizap & claytonmom - very helpful. While I'm 51 years old, I definitely need some young energy around me (not all, but at least some). A "funky downtown" environment (over quilts and antiques) definitely appeals. It sounds like Boone might be a good fit if it has a good dose of older folks to balance things out. I seem to jibe best with organic farmer/dirt under fingernails/appreciators of good live music kinds of people of all ages.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLover71 View Post
Thank you poppydog, Lizap & claytonmom - very helpful. While I'm 51 years old, I definitely need some young energy around me (not all, but at least some). A "funky downtown" environment (over quilts and antiques) definitely appeals. It sounds like Boone might be a good fit if it has a good dose of older folks to balance things out. I seem to jibe best with organic farmer/dirt under fingernails/appreciators of good live music kinds of people of all ages.
We like the quirkiness of Asheville. Keep in mind both Black Mountain and Hendersonville are located close to Asheville. Most of the small towns in WNC have an artsy feel with Appalacian flavor.

Old 01-22-2023, 05:51 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
If you like Boone, but prefer to live in a community with a more mature population, then Blowing Rock would be a good fit. You have quick access to Boone and all it has to offer, but you can retreat to a nice quant downtown street with small shops and an older population.

You may want to be a bit out of town. There is Vilas, NC about 11 or 12 minutes out of Boone. There is also Todd, NC about 15 or 20 minutes out of Boone. Both are barely a crossroad, but will give you some space and a very rural vibe. (Chickens, horses, etc., welcome and mostly neighbors that are friendly while minding their own business)

FYI:

Median ages of some WNC towns:

Boone: 21.5 (Appalachian State numbers effect)
Blowing Rock: 63
Asheville: 39.6
Brevard: 51
Hendersonville: 51
Black Mountain: 60
Banner Elk: 21.2 (Lees-McRae College numbers effect)

WNC averages 8 years older than the median age of NC.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:21 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
You totally need to check out West Asheville in that case as it screams that vibe and has a separate village feel all its own in relation to Asheville proper.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:52 AM

I will keep that in mind. I didn't visit Hendersonville so will add that to my list. Thank you!

Old 01-23-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
If you like Boone, but prefer to live in a community with a more mature population, then Blowing Rock would be a good fit. You have quick access to Boone and all it has to offer, but you can retreat to a nice quant downtown street with small shops and an older population.

You may want to be a bit out of town. There is Vilas, NC about 11 or 12 minutes out of Boone. There is also Todd, NC about 15 or 20 minutes out of Boone. Both are barely a crossroad, but will give you some space and a very rural vibe. (Chickens, horses, etc., welcome and mostly neighbors that are friendly while minding their own business)

FYI:

Median ages of some WNC towns:

Boone: 21.5 (Appalachian State numbers effect)
Blowing Rock: 63
Asheville: 39.6
Brevard: 51
Hendersonville: 51
Black Mountain: 60
Banner Elk: 21.2 (Lees-McRae College numbers effect)

WNC averages 8 years older than the median age of NC.
Very helpful, getatag - thank you!

If I recall correctly (and likely I don't!), Hendersonville seemed like it was a surburb of Asheville, is that right? I didn't get off the freeway to check it out, because it seemed like it was just a continuation of sprawl rather than a separate entity/village (like Black Mountain is it's own little place).

I'm excited to check out Boone and surrounding areas.

Which small town would you consider has the most farmer-type people? (Small organic farmers)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina