Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 AM

76 posts, read 325,743 times

Advertisements

Just because we live in the "mountains" does not mean we all need an SUV. Get a wagon and stop trying to one-up your neighbors. I have one of these on my bumper: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/suv/sticker.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM

648 posts, read 2,974,958 times
I think/hope people are now past driving larger vehicles as status symbols.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,948,558 times
Why demonize the SUV? As we all know, they come in all sizes and fuel efficiencies. I see many more SUVs such as the Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute/Mercury Mariner, Subaru Forester, and Honda CR-V than I do full-size SUVs such as the Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition on the roads in Western NC. I can think of 8 different SUV Hybrids currently available now.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM

63 posts, read 355,993 times
I think gas prices are effectively sending that "drive smaller" message right now. A friend who sell cars for a major local dealership says that large SUVs have very little trade-in value currently.

Agree, though, about not demonizing SUVs. Some folks do need them. Families come in different sizes, for one thing, and if you have a family of 6 (as I do) or more, a decent-sized SUV is far more efficient than taking two vehicles on every family outing. ;-)

Old 05-29-2008, 09:19 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,948,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleNeighbor View Post
I think gas prices are effectively sending that "drive smaller" message right now. A friend who sell cars for a major local dealership says that large SUVs have very little trade-in value currently.

Agree, though, about not demonizing SUVs. Some folks do need them. Families come in different sizes, for one thing, and if you have a family of 6 (as I do) or more, a decent-sized SUV is far more efficient than taking two vehicles on every family outing. ;-)
In addition to families who tow pleasure boats, ATVs, off-road motorcycles, camping trailers and associated supplies up and down the mountains on weekends and holidays.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 PM

76 posts, read 325,743 times
I left out "not everyone needs and SUV" (see link in original post) Need is the key here. Next time you are out on your daily business around town look at these SUV's and tell me how many people you see inside. And how many times have you seen mud on them? If you have six kids or a trailer to pull I can see having one. But rather than think of yourself first and consume like an American, why not look at alternatives like a good American should. (wow, that'll **** off some folks) I for instance own a boat and a Corolla. The boat is a 16ft ski boat. I pull it with a friends truck that he uses for construction. Is it available at all times? No. But how many times do you go to the lake alone? It sure seems to me that bigger, better, faster, quicker and right now is the cause of a lot of problems and SUV's are, granted, only a small part of the whole idea. Live Larger!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 PM

18 posts, read 77,495 times
Dah, Comrade!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,826,664 times
You will, if interested, discover SUVs aren't gas guzzlers anymore than a lot of other vehicles...

Minivans aren't exactly economical.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 AM

366 posts, read 1,014,644 times
One of the bigger problems is that vehicles overall aren't getting any better mileage than they were 15 years ago. It's just a bunch of marketing crap when you see everyone advertising their highway mileage that really hasn't gone up. Plus a majority of people in the US spend more time city driving than highway. They also need to get those hybrids priced competetively or the average person isn't going to choose one. Chevy's hybrid full size SUV's are running nearly $5k more than the standard version. I personally have no need for a large SUV, but geting them price competetive will go a long way towards getting that consumer that might not normally go for the hybrid.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 PM

77 posts, read 245,685 times
Exclamation I second that Zooropa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
One of the bigger problems is that vehicles overall aren't getting any better mileage than they were 15 years ago. It's just a bunch of marketing crap when you see everyone advertising their highway mileage that really hasn't gone up. Plus a majority of people in the US spend more time city driving than highway. They also need to get those hybrids priced competetively or the average person isn't going to choose one. Chevy's hybrid full size SUV's are running nearly $5k more than the standard version. I personally have no need for a large SUV, but geting them price competetive will go a long way towards getting that consumer that might not normally go for the hybrid.
Why haven't the big US automakers done more with improving mpg? Ford has a HUGE line in Brazil for E85, for example (not that that is the best option - but at least we know they CAN)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina