U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,610 times

Advertisements

Hi all - Might anyone have any advice regarding whether or not we should contemplate residing our house - and with what? We live in Boone, and we're thinking about selling our house in the next year or two. We only recently purchased it last year. The siding either needs extensive repairs, or needs to be replaced. We're not sure we'll be able to recoup the investment in the improvement in the sale, and we're not sure if we can go with vinyl in our neighborhood. (A couple of the houses seem to have vinyl.)

Any advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 PM

63 posts, read 307,145 times
My experience in the Asheville area is that home buyers prefer fiber-cement siding (HardiPlank™) to every other option (except perhaps brick). If you don't want to spend the significant sum to go that route, I'd recommend repair and a good paint/stain job (assuming your current siding is wood).

Old 06-05-2008, 05:05 AM

187 posts, read 919,373 times
As an architect and green energy consultant, I can honestly tell you that vinyl is about the worst thing you can put on your house. The process of making vinyl siding is an environmental nightmare, and when it's time to replace it down the road, it will sit in the landfill for literally thousands of years, leaching some pretty awful chemicals along the way.

From an environmental impact perspective, fixing what you have is by far the best way to go. If you need to re-side, it really is a toss up between wood siding, hardiboard (concrete siding), and brick masonry. The each have their pros and cons, but all of them are significantly better than vinyl.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 PM

14,657 posts, read 29,715,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
As an architect and green energy consultant, I can honestly tell you that vinyl is about the worst thing you can put on your house. The process of making vinyl siding is an environmental nightmare, and when it's time to replace it down the road, it will sit in the landfill for literally thousands of years, leaching some pretty awful chemicals along the way.

From an environmental impact perspective, fixing what you have is by far the best way to go. If you need to re-side, it really is a toss up between wood siding, hardiboard (concrete siding), and brick masonry. The each have their pros and cons, but all of them are significantly better than vinyl.

Good luck!
Agree with vandemusser (my hubby also an architect). We have Hardiplank on our house, and think it's great, highly recommend if you do end up re-siding.

Vinyl is horrible, the worst and ugly to boot - I can spot it a mile away - makes a nice home look cheap, too, IMO.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,159,968 times
I can almost guarantee that you will not recoup the cost of residing your entire house if you're going to sell in the next year - even if the market reains stable instead of declining further. It doesn't matter if you use vinyl, fibercement or something else.

In terms of the choice of siding, I can say that my wife and I completely discounted any vinyl sided house during our recent search. We didn't want it at all, so those houses were automatically off our list no matter what other desirable attributes they may have had. You might run into that issue when your house comes to market.

However, you need to look at your market segment and see if your eventual competition is overwhelmingly vinyl sided. If that's what your price range has on it and it's what the other houses in your community are sporting, then vinyl siding might be a viable choice for you rather than the more expensive alternatives.

BTW, we also excluded any stucco sided homes (1-coat & 3 coat) and EIFS sided houses (aka "synthetic stucco") along with the vinyl sided homes. Our reasons were few, but justifiable and significant to us.

As for your house, you don't indicate what kind of siding you currently have on your house. I'm going to guess that it's wood lap siding pending any further information from you. If so, why can't you just replace the individual bad boards on it and then give the house a good paint job? To me that would be the least expensive way to go and still present a desirable property.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM

76 posts, read 188,974 times
Default hardiplank siding

recently I have heard from 2 separate sources that after a few years, hardiplank siding starts to peel in layers and also fades inconsistently. so much for "lifetime".......just something to think about.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,324,661 times
another option would be this LP Building Products | LP SmartSide Trim & Siding Family

I would never replace the vinyl. first, I agree with other from the environmental standpoint, next ... I don't think, this financial effort will pay off. I would also get someone to repair it on certain spots and look for a welcoming, tidy, clean entrance area.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:21 PM

7,876 posts, read 12,894,907 times
Since the thread is over two years old, I'm guessing the OP isn't checking in anymore . Just sayin'.

Having said that, our rustic wood lap siding on our 40 year-old Highlands house is in good shape and I would only replace as necessary rather than a complete re-wrap.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,704,490 times
Hardi board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina