Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:25 AM

5 posts, read 16,051 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a new job with his employer in the Asheville area. We have 2 children ages 11 and 9. I am looking for a nice place to live but would like to rent since we are also keeping our house in FL. We will be in Asheville area for approx. 2yrs.

I would like to rent a house in a GOOD "kid friendly" neighborhood maybe near a lake. I am very unfamiliar with the area and its price ranges. We would like to rent for around $1300 or less. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Very few lakes and those that are there are typically surrounded with houses far out of your price range, but you should be able to rent a 3 br house in your range in a nice area. For good neighborhood, schools, etc., look at the east side, Kenilworth, Beverly Hills, Haw Creek, Riceville, Reynolds areas.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:38 PM

63 posts, read 356,787 times
It may be worth checking out Biltmore Lake. A number of resale homes on the market in there are not selling and the owners (particularly those carrying two mortgages) might be agreeable to renting at a reasonable rate.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleNeighbor View Post
It may be worth checking out Biltmore Lake. A number of resale homes on the market in there are not selling and the owners (particularly those carrying two mortgages) might be agreeable to renting at a reasonable rate.
Based on the size of the houses (and the likely size of the mortgage) I would expect houses there to rent for $2000 - $2500 plus utilities. The rentals houses I am familiar with in the east are $990 - $1400 for 3 bedroom 1.5 - 2 bath houses, plus utilities.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 AM

5 posts, read 16,051 times
Talking Thanks

Thank you for the info. I've looked at some houses on line in the Haw Creek & Beverly Hill area. Glad to hear they are in good neighborhoods. I've heard that west Asheville is not so nice an area. Would you say that that side of town is not a good place to move?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Based on the size of the houses (and the likely size of the mortgage) I would expect houses there to rent for $2000 - $2500 plus utilities. The rentals houses I am familiar with in the east are $990 - $1400 for 3 bedroom 1.5 - 2 bath houses, plus utilities.
Normally, I'd agree with your numbers.

My evidence is anecdotal, but last fall a friend who has investment property lost a potential tenant (for an East Asheville house like you describe) to Biltmore Lake. These folks found a house there for, I think, $1300/month. The market's only gotten slower since then, so I think it's at least worth a look. It's the only lake community I can think of that would come close.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 16,114 times
I hear the school district for Biltmore Lakes is not good. Since your kids are of school age I recommend checking out South Asheville for the South Bucombe County school district (Glen Arden, Cane Creek/Valley Springs and TC Roberson). There's Biltmore Park, Cotswold, etc. - they may have some rentals? I've heard Reynolds has a good school district which I believe is Fairview. Not sure where your husband's job is so you may take that into consideration as well. I would hook up with a realtor who can give you more insight on the rental market and the school districts, etc.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleNeighbor View Post
Normally, I'd agree with your numbers.

My evidence is anecdotal, but last fall a friend who has investment property lost a potential tenant (for an East Asheville house like you describe) to Biltmore Lake. These folks found a house there for, I think, $1300/month. The market's only gotten slower since then, so I think it's at least worth a look. It's the only lake community I can think of that would come close.
I would think that a slow housing market would make put a higher demand on the rentals that are available. When people can't qualify for a mortgage, bad credit due to foreclosures, etc, then they rent. People still gotta live somewhere.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfflygirl View Post
I hear the school district for Biltmore Lakes is not good. Since your kids are of school age I recommend checking out South Asheville for the South Bucombe County school district (Glen Arden, Cane Creek/Valley Springs and TC Roberson). There's Biltmore Park, Cotswold, etc. - they may have some rentals? I've heard Reynolds has a good school district which I believe is Fairview. Not sure where your husband's job is so you may take that into consideration as well. I would hook up with a realtor who can give you more insight on the rental market and the school districts, etc.
East side schools, Haw Creek Elementary, Bell Elementary, Reynolds Middle and Reynolds High are some of the best in the county. Kenilworth area is probably in the Asheville City School area. Though the city limits keep expanding, school boundaries remain, this many city neighborhoods go to county schools.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I would think that a slow housing market would make put a higher demand on the rentals that are available. When people can't qualify for a mortgage, bad credit due to foreclosures, etc, then they rent. People still gotta live somewhere.
True. But many of those decide to stay where they are rather than buy or rent something new here. There probably has been an uptick in local rental demand, but I think it's far outweighed by the increase in supply of available properties. So the net effect can still be downward pressure on rents, at least in some areas or categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina