U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:44 PM

3,566 posts, read 9,437,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed&Betty View Post
Of course I understand people are upset...so What? Environmentalist's are always upset.

Have you ever seen that change anything. Lets worry about Polar Bears, maybe that'll help.

Crass over development was invented in Florida....Does my mindset fix it?... no...
I accept what is...Going around with my head screwed up, oh gosh lets be upset...is no way to live.
How lovely for you. I don't worry, a useless waste of energy - I try to change things, even if only those things I do myself, such as recycle or walk to work or carpool. Did I imply or say something that would lead you to believe that my head is "screwed up"? Please don't answer, it is a moot question and really, I do hope you've found your retirement utopia in Florida. You be sweet, dear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 AM

30 posts, read 88,009 times
I have to laugh at this "don't come to my town" philosophy. There is no small town that will stay small. Yes, I did come from a big city (New York) and when it got to expensive and crowded I moved to South Florida. So did everybody else. Now that South Florida is to expensive and overcrowded I have bought a place in western N.C.. This Country is getting more and more overcrowded by the day. All of those people need to live somewhere and many of us don't want to live in big cities. I am sorry that your small towns are getting overcrowded but that is the way it goes. You're small town stayed small because they didn't offer much (except a slower way of life). Now YOU'RE government has allowed the building of bigger roads and "McMansions" which has turned your small town into a thriving metropolises. If you want to blame someone for your town changing blame the government officials that you voted in that have let this happen. Have you ever heard "If you built it they will come" it's true. Many people will move to smaller towns for a better way of life and if the town progresses into a city they will move out and move to another small town. You may have to do the same. Your small town will never be small again. I am sorry to say it, but that's the way it is.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 AM

4,402 posts, read 10,077,550 times
Very well said Stereo. A few people are complaining about "their" towns changing.ALL towns change.If they dont,it is probably because no one wants to live there.You can complain,or you can make sure you elect officials who are those "enviormentalists who are always upset",then more pristine land can be protected. I hate the strip malls and subdivisions as well,but they keep building them and people keep buying.I remember what my friend,a native of Telluride Colorado told me when I asked him what he thought of the growth in his once small town,"You cant live in a town and close the gate behind you"

Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 AM

772 posts, read 1,521,485 times
I don't really care if people move to Asheville or not. It doesn't affect me too much. All I try to do is point out things that people from outside possibly don't know...mainly the poor availability of good jobs and the real estate costs that are higher than most of the rest of the state, especially in comparison to the low wages here. This isn't the utopia some people think it is, but it is a nice place to live, if you can afford it and have a job that allows you to afford and enjoy it.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 AM

473 posts, read 1,569,060 times
Very true Roxors. So many people ask questions about an area, however, and when their questions get answered honestly, they get their knickers all in a knot. It does seem that so many just want to be validated, they don't want to hear the truth from the locals. So why do they ask in the first place.

If you do even a quick check of the posters who say they "don't care" what the locals think, that many are from NY via FL. The nomads. Going from place to place to find small towns, and when the small town isn't to their liking, they want big box stores, more malls, more chain restaurants etc., they complain about traffic on roads that can't handle the influx, they complain about not enough schools. They want more more more for less less less. When their taxes go up and the place becomes similar to what they left, they're on the move again.

They are the problems, not the solutions. Those who come and embrace the area, and make a contribution to the area, and don't repeat ad nauseum such as, "Well, in - - - we had this or that", assimilate nicely. The others are welcome to find another state, last time I checked there were several others just waiting for them.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 AM

10,302 posts, read 16,859,064 times
<<<They are the problems, not the solutions. Those who come and embrace the area, and make a contribution to the area, and don't repeat ad nauseum such as, "Well, in - - - we had this or that", assimilate nicely. The others are welcome to find another state, last time I checked there were several others just waiting for them.>>>

I totally agree with this. As a 3rd generation born-and-raised native Floridian I have witnessed hordes and hordes of people from the NE and midwest move into this state and try to take over. All kinds of cookie-cutter McMansion developments, big box chains, paving, cutting down all the trees, burying the wildlife etc. Elected officials don't care and don't plan for it. We have wall-to-wall people here now. I don't blame people for wanting to come down here. But the thing that always irked me MOST were those that complained about everything here. Here they come, ruining all that was ever nice about Florida, but they hate everything. To those people I say GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM! Everyone else who loves it here and appreciates it is WELCOME!

As most of you know, I and DH fell in love with Asheville BECAUSE of what it is, and want to help it remain the same. We knew there were no jobs, but I am semi-retired, and live here part of the year for now, while DH stays in our cheap cottage in rural Fla. to work until retirement. He comes up when he can, maybe once a month, and then I go back to Fla. after 7 or 8 months. So we have worked our our situation. We bought our home in an existing neighborhood and fixed it up and made it better. I love and appreciate everything Asheville has to offer, and I have to honestly say that everyone I have met, from natives to transplants from all over have been some of the nicest, friendliest and most helpful people I have ever met.

While I would love for Asheville to stay just as it is, I know that realistically, it will change and grow, because as someone upthread said you just can't close the gate behind you. Let's just hope that those who continue to move here will be those that really appreciate it and protect and contribute, and those that don't like it - like AppleAnnie said, it's a big country out there and those folks can find themselves something more suitable.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Very true Roxors. So many people ask questions about an area, however, and when their questions get answered honestly, they get their knickers all in a knot. It does seem that so many just want to be validated, they don't want to hear the truth from the locals. So why do they ask in the first place.

If you do even a quick check of the posters who say they "don't care" what the locals think, that many are from NY via FL. The nomads. Going from place to place to find small towns, and when the small town isn't to their liking, they want big box stores, more malls, more chain restaurants etc., they complain about traffic on roads that can't handle the influx, they complain about not enough schools. They want more more more for less less less. When their taxes go up and the place becomes similar to what they left, they're on the move again.

They are the problems, not the solutions. Those who come and embrace the area, and make a contribution to the area, and don't repeat ad nauseum such as, "Well, in - - - we had this or that", assimilate nicely. The others are welcome to find another state, last time I checked there were several others just waiting for them.
Thanks apple and roxors. (((sigh)))

Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM

31 posts, read 248,536 times
Another reason small towns are not staying small are all the people that just HAVE to have enough kids for a baseball team.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:28 PM

To the person(s) who didn't like my response to the comment from Ed&Betty above: I am sorry you thought my answer was negative - actually, considering that response, I was restrained. I usually let such things go and chalk it up to experience, but the comments including "environmentalists are always worried about something....", etc. were unnecessary. End of discussion.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 PM

4,402 posts, read 10,077,550 times
I agree about that comment Mary.I am sure if there were more of said enviromentalist,less beautiful land would have been sacrificed for the countless McMansions,which seem to all look the same to me now.It is nice to look up at a mountain and see a mountain and not yet another "dream" home of someone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina