U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Tampa FL now, but soon Charlotte, NC
13 posts, read 65,648 times
Reputation: 14
Default Asheville Neighborhood...Gay/Lesbian Friendly??

Hi!

My girlfriend and I are planning a move, soon to and were debating on Asheville. I wanted to ask for advice on neighborhoods.

In all of my research, I've found so much conflicting information regarding whether or not Asheville has lesbian friendly neighborhoods.

We are looking for in the city living, in perhaps a loft or industrial type building. We are very interested in art, music and trendy areas. We also have a small dog who we love to take for walks, and are avid cyclers and are very health concious. Anything you could provide as far as what areas to check out would be so helpful and appreciated!


Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
187 posts, read 654,755 times
Reputation: 172
Most of Asheville in general is gay-friendly. It does start to get a lot more conservative the farther out you go. That doesn't mean that you can't live outside Asheville, however. We have lesbian friends that live in the Canton / Waynesville area and they have wonderful, friendly neighbors.

As for Asheville neighborhoods, you really have your pick - West Asheville is probably the one that jumps out at me as your best bet. Lots of younger folks live out that way that are open to pretty much anything. Montford would also be a good option - I know of plenty of lesbians who live there. Downtown is always going to be cool with that, although it is more expensive than surrounding neighborhoods.

Be prepared to get some flak for the question on the message board. It tends to get bombarded with natives of Asheville pining for the good old days when no one moved here, especially those with alternative lifestyles.

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 AM
 
16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post

Be prepared to get some flak for the question on the message board. It tends to get bombarded with natives of Asheville pining for the good old days when no one moved here, especially those with alternative lifestyles.
You are making a generalization that is not necessarily true, again bashing the natives as a group, shame on you . Those that do get meet resistance are the freakish ones that flaunt their life style with overt public affection and behavior. I am a native, and I am very tolerant of gays, have friends and neighbors that are gay, they are just not "in your face" about their choice.

Hetro or Homo, no one wants to see you sucking face on a downtown sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
187 posts, read 654,755 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Those that do meet resistance are the freakish ones that flaunt their life style with overt public affection and behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I am a native, and I am very tolerant of gays
No comment necessary.

Last edited by vandemusser; 06-30-2008 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
 
53 posts, read 203,100 times
Reputation: 65
Come on over to West Asheville! We're extremely bikable (although without biking lanes, sorry), the dog park is located here, next to the river and off of a park with some nice trails, soon to be connected to another park with nice trails. There is a small town in the city kind of feel to the area, rent hasn't gone too far through the roof just yet (although I have no doubt it will shortly). There's an glbt bookstore in the downtownish area as well.

If you'd prefer to be in a more active setting, there is the option of looking around downtown and seeing what's available, but it's going to be $$$. There's also the Merriman corridor, and neighborhoods off of that street for walkability and access to Stuff To Do.

Really, I would stick to the trendier neighborhoods if you're concerned about friendliness and people keeping their negative opinions about holding hands or kissing to themselves. You'll pay more in those areas, but peace of mind and a sense of community can be well worth it. Asheville is no SF (or "paris of the south," lol) but the glbt community here is fairly out and about, in a mind your business and we'll mind ours sort of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 AM
 
20 posts, read 102,679 times
Reputation: 23
Unhappy Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You are making a generalization that is not necessarily true, again bashing the natives as a group, shame on you . Those that do get meet resistance are the freakish ones that flaunt their life style with overt public affection and behavior. I am a native, and I am very tolerant of gays, have friends and neighbors that are gay, they are just not "in your face" about their choice.

Hetro or Homo, no one wants to see you sucking face on a downtown sidewalk.


Looks like Vandemusser was right on the money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
 
16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
No comment necessary.
Especially with such selective cutting and pasting when you quote me. Doing that you can make it sound like anything you want, but not what I said. Kinda sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
 
53 posts, read 203,100 times
Reputation: 65
I have to amend my earlier reply about the glbt bookstore here in west asheville-- seems they closed their doors recently and now an ice cream shop stands there instead. Whaa. (tasty ice cream, though )

BTW, it never ceases to amaze me how others defend their intolerance by claims of relation or try to disguise it by touting "lifestyle choices" etc. Switch some words around, substitute "asian" or "hetero" or "jewish" for "gay" in the above commentary, Asheville Native, and see how that changes things? Having gay neighbors doesn't necessarily equal tolerance, no matter how you scratch it. Tolerance is dealing with that which makes you uncomfortable without putting the responsibility of your discomfort onto people who are different than you. Not the Webster definition of course, but applicable in this case, methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
 
16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvillemama View Post
Having gay neighbors doesn't necessarily equal tolerance, no matter how you scratch it. Tolerance is dealing with that which makes you uncomfortable without putting the responsibility of your discomfort onto people who are different than you. Not the Webster definition of course, but applicable in this case, methinks.
Gay, straight, or persuasions that I don't even know about, the public streets and sidewalks of Asheville are not the to be sucking face.

Get a room, then I really don't give a damn what you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 PM
 
Location: West, Southwest, East & Northeast
3,446 posts, read 4,613,281 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjess213 View Post
Hi!

My girlfriend and I are planning a move, soon to and were debating on Asheville. I wanted to ask for advice on neighborhoods.

In all of my research, I've found so much conflicting information regarding whether or not Asheville has lesbian friendly neighborhoods.

We are looking for in the city living, in perhaps a loft or industrial type building. We are very interested in art, music and trendy areas. We also have a small dog who we love to take for walks, and are avid cyclers and are very health concious. Anything you could provide as far as what areas to check out would be so helpful and appreciated!

Thank you!
Asheville is known as the east coast's [tiny] San Francisco... From what I've seen you would fit right in. (I'm in Asheville right now.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top