U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 33,150 times
Default Is there any shuttle service to Asheville from CLT airport?

Hi everyone,

I'm an international student to WCU, my flight will landing CLT airport on August.8th, but the school will only pick me up at Asheville, so I have to go to Asheville from CLT airport with 3 large luggages myself....>_<....

Does anyone know if there is any shuttle service can pick me up at CLT airport to asheville? how much is the service approximately? I have search on the internet for a long time, no gain.......

Thanks very much for your imformation,I really apprecite it!!!!

Ginger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2008, 07:46 AM

122 posts, read 265,717 times
There is no such service.. your best bet would be Greyhound or a connecting flight to the Asheville Airport.
Sorry...
Or you could try to see if WCU has a ride finders type thing where you could share a ride to school with someone from the Charlotte area.

Unread 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM

16,311 posts, read 12,202,722 times
Asheville will still leave you about 50 miles or so from WCU.

Unread 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM

884 posts, read 1,953,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Asheville will still leave you about 50 miles or so from WCU.
Not a problem for the OP "..............but the school will only pick me up at Asheville"

Unread 07-18-2008, 08:10 AM

162 posts, read 356,657 times
This is from the WCU International Programs (broken link) webpage:

Quote:
2. If you cannot fly into Asheville, fly to Charlotte, North Carolina (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/airport/home.htm?header=www%2echarlotteairport%2ecom - broken link). Take a taxi to the Greyhound Bus Terminal and board a bus to Asheville. Again, contact Kevin Childers with your bus number, date and arrival time in Asheville at least one week before you arrive. The university will pick you up.

f you arrive at the Charlotte Airport (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/airport/home.htm?header=www%2echarlotteairport%2ecom - broken link) after 7 p.m. (19:00), you will have to get a Greyhound Bus the next morning. The last bus for Asheville leaves around 8 p.m. (20:00). Look for a room in a local hotel like the Comfort Inn, Red Roof Motel, Hampton Inn, etc. The cost per night is around $60.00.
You can click on Kevin Childers' name, on the WCU webpage, to get his contact information.

Unread 07-18-2008, 01:10 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,849,105 times
Ginger,
Just go ahead and get the connecting flight to Asheville. There is no reason why you cannot do that, because you don't have to ride with the same airplane all the way through, and you can always switch the original chosen airline you're with, in order to get the Asheville connection.

When you set up your plane ticket, put your final destination as Asheville, and you will either switch planes in Charlotte or Raleigh, depending on which way the airline likes to go. You won't have to worry about your checked luggage, or a long ride on a bus, and everything will be SO much simpler. Pick a connection that gives you about an hour's leeway to get to the other airplane. But it is simply not worth the trouble to save money, particularly since you are an international student and not as familiar with getting around here.

If you already have your ticket, you can change it to add on the Asheville connection, but just be sure to do it on the phone or talking with a person, and not on the internet, because online changes to flight tickets sometimes don't hold up. Also, you should contact WCU and tell them you will be arriving at the Asheville airport at whatever time, and it will be just as easy for the people who are picking you up to go over to the airport instead of the bus station.
GG

Unread 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 33,150 times
thank you guys sooooo much for those words!! !

I had a long time looking for some person who is willing to give me a ride,and I pay him some money, I suppose it is also not troublesome. I finally luckyly found one. He and his wife will pick me up at CLT airport that day :-)

I really appreciate your help and advices. Thanks :P

Unread 08-04-2008, 07:45 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,849,105 times
Glad you found a solution to your situation. See about getting a cell phone, dear, to use while in the U.S., you should be able to get one in your country with very little effort, set it up and get it going before you go, pack it in your checked luggage, and get it out and put it in your purse when you get to Charlotte, before you get in the car with the couple.

If not, be sure to call WCU when you arrive at the airport in Charlotte, please, giving them who your traveling companions are and so forth, and make sure you've got it straight where you're supposed to be dropped off at WCU, and tell the university people what time you estimate you will arrive. This is an important step for you to remember to do, there are phones everywhere in the airport, just call "collect" through the operator to WCU, and keep that phone number in your purse, so the phone call will be very easy to make.

Or, you can do the exact same thing from your country of origin just before you leave for the U.S., make the same call, explaining who your traveling companions are and your estimated time of arrival at WCU, and be sure someone from the university will be at the location where you will be dropped off, which I assume will be a dormitory or student union or some sort of registration area on campus, where normally a number of people will be on-hand to expect you to arrive.

Unread 08-05-2008, 05:56 PM

374 posts, read 1,084,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Glad you found a solution to your situation. See about getting a cell phone, dear, to use while in the U.S., you should be able to get one in your country with very little effort, set it up and get it going before you go, pack it in your checked luggage, and get it out and put it in your purse when you get to Charlotte, before you get in the car with the couple.

If not, be sure to call WCU when you arrive at the airport in Charlotte, please, giving them who your traveling companions are and so forth, and make sure you've got it straight where you're supposed to be dropped off at WCU, and tell the university people what time you estimate you will arrive. This is an important step for you to remember to do, there are phones everywhere in the airport, just call "collect" through the operator to WCU, and keep that phone number in your purse, so the phone call will be very easy to make.

Or, you can do the exact same thing from your country of origin just before you leave for the U.S., make the same call, explaining who your traveling companions are and your estimated time of arrival at WCU, and be sure someone from the university will be at the location where you will be dropped off, which I assume will be a dormitory or student union or some sort of registration area on campus, where normally a number of people will be on-hand to expect you to arrive.
Great advice for this young girl. It is a scarey thought for her to get into a car with people she doesn't know and trust they get her to her destination safely. I think she should change her airplane tickets and get dropped off in Asheville. I'll pray for her to be safe.

Unread 08-09-2008, 07:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,084,503 times
Default Ginger 227

Hope you arrived safely in Asheville. Been thinking of you. Today is the 9th of August... Keep us all posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina