Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 AM

82 posts, read 393,514 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear some opinions on the pros and cons and Montford, Grove Park and Kenilworth.

We stayed in Montford on a visit a couple of years back and walked around quite a bit and we drove through Grove Park, so I'm a little familiar with what these two neighborhoods look like. But would love to know more about the "livability" factor...how close to towns amenities, which has a family oriented friendly-talk-to-your-neighbor vibe and that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 19,645 times
Grove Park is a fantastic neighborhood. You can not buy into a better neighborhood based on what you get for the money. Grove Park has every amenity possible,,,fitness center, club house, walking trail, golf, tennis, volleyball, swimming pool, kiddy pool, playground, lake, golf, library, and a firestation. The HOA is very low, the home prices are great, & you are only about 15 minutes away from RDU airport & 10 minutes to BrierCreek & The Research Triangle. Fantastic neighborhood!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 PM

535 posts, read 1,736,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Henry View Post
Grove Park is a fantastic neighborhood. You can not buy into a better neighborhood based on what you get for the money. Grove Park has every amenity possible,,,fitness center, club house, walking trail, golf, tennis, volleyball, swimming pool, kiddy pool, playground, lake, golf, library, and a firestation. The HOA is very low, the home prices are great, & you are only about 15 minutes away from RDU airport & 10 minutes to BrierCreek & The Research Triangle. Fantastic neighborhood!!!
Uh, if you can get to RDU in 15 minutes from Asheville you drive a lot faster than me. I did it in 2h45min once.

Montford: older, lots of gentrified/restored places. Some not so hot spots. Close to 240, some parts are close to 19/23, which will be 26 once the interstate is started. You can bike/walk downtown if you want depending on how far you want to walk. Some restaurants in the area I think.

Kenilworth - older, quieter. Can get some noise from Tunnel Road, I had a friend who lived up in there and when the CheeseBurger in Paradise place was still around you could hear the music nightly. Traffic can be funky to get in and get out of.

Grove Park - lived there myself for a while. Nice, always nice. My area was cool, the people were friendly. I could walk to the store and to some restaurants. Traffic down Kimberly and Charlotte could be rough. You'll get owned on Halloween.

My take on the "Talk to your neighbor" thing - if you reach out people will talk to you. Some people never will, others have no problem being friendly. Where I'm at now I have 1 set of neighbors who won't give anyone the time of day (unless they need something) and others who are honestly nice. I've had some who decided that they didn't want to be friends anymore (that's odd when your neighbor out of the blue says "We can't be friends", no explaination).

Asheville is a pretty friendly town if you want it to be.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,438,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Grove Park - lived there myself for a while. Nice, always nice. My area was cool, the people were friendly. I could walk to the store and to some restaurants. Traffic down Kimberly and Charlotte could be rough. You'll get owned on Halloween.
Uh I live in Grove Park: Walk to store, what store? Not the little middle eastern food store at Hillside

Owned on Halloween? never had the first kid, or problem

Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Uh I live in Grove Park: Walk to store, what store? Not the little middle eastern food store at Hillside

Owned on Halloween? never had the first kid, or problem
I lived on Edwin, over by the church. At one time, before it was torn down (or did it burn) there was a Ingles over down near Fuddruckers. I could walk there. Didn't like it.

For halloween, my goodness it was like they bussed a never ending stream in there. One year we gave out nearly 50 pounds of candy. Turned the porch light off, people still knocked at 10pm.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM

76 posts, read 325,461 times
I'd say most people don't walk to the stores. I live there and have never seen anyone walking with a grocery bag. If they are walking they probably live on the western side of Edwin/Kimberly. Halloween for us is not that bad. The rose garden area is over run but just a block away they don't visit.
Kenilworth and Montford from my friends experiences has a bit more crime. I had one friend move to Forest Dr and had a car taken in the middle of the night. But as others have posted, crime based on what. Compared to a big city you can live anywhere in Asheville and will never think it has a high crime rate.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,438,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
I lived on Edwin, over by the church. At one time, before it was torn down (or did it burn) there was a Ingles over down near Fuddruckers. I could walk there. Didn't like it.

For halloween, my goodness it was like they bussed a never ending stream in there. One year we gave out nearly 50 pounds of candy. Turned the porch light off, people still knocked at 10pm.
That Ingles has been gone for at least 10 years atleast, it burned to the ground, and it was a great location to serve the people that live downtown. But in their anti big store stupidity, city council did not allow Ingles to rebuild with a larger store, so a lot of citizens lost easy access to a full line grocery store. City council believes that everyone that lives within 2+ miles of Pack Square only wants to shop in quaint little stores and doesn't need a well stocked grocery store.

Today I see people lugging groceries through the tunnel from the Tunnel Rd Ingles every time I got that way, which is several times a day.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,906,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Today I see people lugging groceries through the tunnel from the Tunnel Rd Ingles every time I got that way, which is several times a day.
Speaking of Ingles,I have never seen another grocery store chain other than Ingles in Asheville . . . no Harris Teeter, no Kroger, no Lowes . . . why is that?

Also, I'm surprised there is not a Whole Foods in Asheville, especially in West Asheville where there is no Greenlife.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 AM

Bi Lo is here, although they closed their Patton Ave location in W AVL, which was an ok store. Ingles is the local place. HT is in south asheville. There is/was a food lion somewhere, I can't recall where (I'd not go in there anyway).

WF is hurting, there was an article in an online paper about how much their sales are down. I went to one once and was shocked at the price.

EarthFare ("Dinner for the Rich") and Greenlife stay fairly busy. I like GL but that parking lot is a mess. It's a nightmare to get in/out of unless you want to take a right.

The Ingles at the top of Tunnel is nice though. I'm shocked that they're improving their stores. The one in West AVL looked pretty crappy for a while, it's gotten cleaner. Amazing.

An architect friend said that there were 3 Ingles in town. Bingles (black ingles) was on Charlotte before it burned down, Ringles (redneck ingles) was in West Asheville, Whingles (white Ingles) was in north AVL.

Is now the time to start the rumor about HT going in west Asheville along the river where Craven St is? Someone told me that the other day - HT, a few high end restaurants and a Tiffany's.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM

291 posts, read 1,200,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Speaking of Ingles,I have never seen another grocery store chain other than Ingles in Asheville . . . no Harris Teeter, no Kroger, no Lowes . . . why is that?

Also, I'm surprised there is not a Whole Foods in Asheville, especially in West Asheville where there is no Greenlife.
There is a Harris Teeter in Asheville, it's about 3 miles from the Biltmore Estate on Hendersonville Road.
As for Whole Foods, I've been waiting for one of those for years...
Worked for EarthFare for 5 years and Greenlife for 1 1/2. I have heard rumors of Whole Foods for years now.

As for neighborhoods, I would pick Grove Park for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina