U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 17,947,197 times

Advertisements

Asheville seems to be a beautiful area. I am coming to Asheville in May to attend the retirement weekend at the University of North Carolina (UNCA). I'm a divorced long-time fed who spent most of my life on Long Island (NY) and the last 10 years in Maryland.

While I'm eligible to retire this year, I probably won't be retiring for 3 years but I want to decide on a location, soon, and Asheville is looking good. I plan to rent (by choice) a two bedroom apartment in a managed complex and I figure that regardless of how much the rents rise in the Asheville area, they'll always be $300 - $400 per month less than what I pay in MD.

While in the area for the weekend seminar, I plan to visit some managed apartment complexes, mostly south of Asheville. I have some questions about the Asheville area that websites don't seem to answer and I wonder if anyone here could help me with some of them.

1. What's the commute like to UNCA from Arden? (Since I'll be visiting after the semester is over I'm thinking I won't experience the traffic of the normal commute if I stay in the Arden area and attend the seminar in North Asheville. When I retire, I plan to attend classes regularly so info about the normal commute is important.)

2. What's the parking like? Is it all parallel parking or are there lots and parking garages in and around the city?

3. I like to live in the burbs, not the city. Are the Asheville burbs nice, in your opinion? I hear alot about the city but truthfully, I don't see myself in the downtown area a lot.

4. Where in the Asheville area can you fish for largemouth or smallmout bass from the shore?

5. What's the no smoking policy in public buildings and restaurants? Can you find smoke free restaurants?

6. What's the political climate like? Do you ever see the governor/senators in Asheville? Are both main political parties active in the area?

7. Do prices rise a lot in the summer at the supermarkets and other stores due to a big influx of vacationers/snowbirds? Any problems associated with vacationers?

8. Which state/states or regions of the country do most people who live year round in the Asheville area, come from before they move to Asheville? Are they mostly people who move within the state or do they come from elsewhere? What was the biggest surprise/shock for people who moved to the Asheville area from out of state?

9. Does Asheville have a drug problem? A gang problem? I've seen the crime stats but I want to know if the crime is drug or gang driven.

10. How much do Asheville area apartment complexes typically raise rents at the end of a lease? (Where I live now, every year they go up $50 - $60 per month, not including water)

11. Since the area is so heaviliy treed, any unusual problems with out of control fires? Deer in the road? Any unusual weather related problems? Have a mosquito/cricket/flies/tics/other bugs problem?

12. Is the area festive? Parades? Fireworks? Go all out for the holidays?

13. Is the fire department paid or volunteer in the burbs? Is the police city, county or state? Any big military towns in the area?

Any questions you have answers or opinions on would be helpful and appreciated so thank you.

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 06:32 PM

39 posts, read 80,749 times
Unhappy Asheville is nice but you would like weaverville instead!

Oh yes, the commute from arden to asheville is hard especially rush hour on I-26 from long shoals road into asheville is a big pain in the neck even though you might have had this rush hour thing a lot of times before moving, but riding the city bus into asheville is alot more like it. Next, parking is an issue, the city council is planning to either build more parking decks or adding additional levels to the decks. Next, the subburbs especially weaverville (weavervegas), woodfin, and even black mountain and fletcher are all best towns to choose outside of the city limits but in all your best choosing is weaverville because traffic isn't an issue and you have more choices followed by woodfin. next I am not sure about fishing but there are alot of lakes and streams and rivers around to fish at but at certain lakes there are permits that you need to have before you fish. Next the no smoking policy pertains to most restaurants in the asheville area such as starbucks, mexican restaurants, and even american restaurants downtown. next, the government is not really active in the asheville area but the flood of 2004 has brought our senator here to tour our flood ravaged area. Not really because the only people up here that don't live here is leafpeepers, people enjoying the cool air during the summer, and people heading to the ski slopes during the winter. The prices don't actually rise. next, if you want more shopping choices your in luck in 2008 because weaverville will be getting a huge shopping center with a walmart, lowes, and even a borders books.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,550,177 times
Hi Laura,

Let's see if I can help. Let me preface my responses by saying that I'm a newbie to the Asheville area. We've been coming here since 2003, but now we're under contract (aka in escrow) on a home. We're in town awaiting the close.

BTW, we've decided, for various reasons, to settle in South Buncombe County. It's basicly the "Arden" area.

So, here's my limited take:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1. What's the commute like to UNCA from Arden? (Since I'll be visiting after the semester is over I'm thinking I won't experience the traffic of the normal commute if I stay in the Arden area and attend the seminar in North Asheville. When I retire, I plan to attend classes regularly so info about the normal commute is important.)
As mentioned, the I26 drive can be a bear at times, especially during commute hours. It gets backed-up as you approach the I40 interchange where they've been doing construction for quite some time. I don't see the construction ending anytime soon.

You have other options for driving into and out of the city. Asheville's really not a big place when compared to many cities, so the options can be very viable.

Take a look at a map and check out Hwy 25 (Hendersonville Rd), Hwy 25A (Sweeten Creek Road), and Hwy 74A (Charlotte Highway). Each will take you into town and can be viable alternatives to I26.

The three roads that I mentioned parallel I26, but the one furthest away (to the east) would be 74A. It would take the longest to get to from the Arden area, since the other two roads basically run through "Arden," but it's also a more open road than the other two. You can get to it by cutting through Cane Creek and then heading north. It will depend on where you are loacted in Arden and how jammed the drive is on the other roads to determine if the added miles results in a shorter drive time.

Quote:
2. What's the parking like? Is it all parallel parking or are there lots and parking garages in and around the city?
There's some parking facilities in the metropolitan area of the city, but there's also a lot of parallel parking. I don't go downtown too much, but I havent had too much trouble finding parking any time I have been there.

Quote:
3. I like to live in the burbs, not the city. Are the Asheville burbs nice, in your opinion? I hear alot about the city but truthfully, I don't see myself in the downtown area a lot.
I like being outside of the downtown area, too. I just want more space with the option of taking part in what the city has to offer. In my case, my chosen area leaves me pretty darn close to the city center, so I don't have a looooong drive from out in the far country, but also far enough out that my neighbor can't smell my bacon cooking in the morning.

I also don't know if I'd really call places outside the city center as "burbs." It gives me a picture of small lot post-war housing tracts. Although there's some developments like that (i.e., Biltmeore Park), there's a lot of non-tract regions outside of the downtown or city limits.

I guess in some ways it's hard to determine where a "burb" is located vs. a non-"burb" area. Things are growing so much that all kinds of building is going on and the regions are blurring.

There's also some nice towns that surround Asheville, but which are viable entities in themselves. I think they might not appreciate being considered a "burb" of Asheville. The would include places like Weaverville, Hendersonville, Black Mountain, Fletcher (just south of Arden), and many others. Although they are close enough to Asheville to feel its influence, they each have their own identities and activities.

Quote:
4. Where in the Asheville area can you fish for largemouth or smallmout bass from the shore?
I can't help much with this question. I know there is Lake Lure, about 25 miles down 74A from South Buncombe County, but I'm not sure about the fishing there.

There's also the French Broad River running through town, but I also don't know if there's much fishing in it. I'll have to hope you find a fisherman to answer that question for you.

(cont in next post since replies are limited to 5000 characters)

Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
5. What's the no smoking policy in public buildings and restaurants? Can you find smoke free restaurants?
Many restaurants in town will ask if want the smoking or non-smoking section. It's just the nature of the area. You need to remember that tobacco growing was a big cash crop for the farmers, for many centuries, in this region of the country.

With that said, it appears things are changing. I have also been in a few restaurants where I have not been asked about my smoking preference. I really didn't pay much attention to it, other than to note that there was no smoke in the place.

I also haven't seen any smoking in public buildings. Again, I didn't pay much attention, other than to note a lack of smoking activity.

I have also seen more signs on entry doors, than I saw just a few years ago, which state "No Smoking" in the building. Again, it appears that things are changing.

However, be prepared for walking into other environments where smoking is still allowed. For example, there is one gas station, where I stop for conveniece, where the cashier always seems to have a cigarette going. It's obviously permitted in that station.

Quote:
6. What's the political climate like? Do you ever see the governor/senators in Asheville? Are both main political parties active in the area?
If you want a label, I would easily say that Asheville certainly has liberal leanings, both politically and morally. However, the further you get from Asheville, the more conservative it seems to get. BTW, I also need to include the disclaimer that the broad brush that I painted does not apply to everyone. It's just a generaly statement based on the general leanings I've observed in the community.

Political parties: Yes, they're both active although the democrats seem a little more in the forefront. That's just my subjective opinion. BTW, the President's wife was in town today stumping for republican candidates in the area.

(response still continued in next post)

Last edited by garth; 10-31-2006 at 09:29 PM..

Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
7. Do prices rise a lot in the summer at the supermarkets and other stores due to a big influx of vacationers/snowbirds? Any problems associated with vacationers?
I haven't seen any price deviations that aren't mirrored anywhere else in the country (i.e., gas prices).

Problems with vacationers? . . . not that I've seen. I suppose the traffic in the toursit areas is greater, but I don't view that as a problem. It's the cost for their money supporting the coummity and providing jobs for people.

Quote:
8. Which state/states or regions of the country do most people who live year round in the Asheville area, come from before they move to Asheville? Are they mostly people who move within the state or do they come from elsewhere? What was the biggest surprise/shock for people who moved to the Asheville area from out of state?
I'm from California. I've met people from NY, FL, and Penn. I know that there's others but that's what I've run into.

Biggest surprise: Being thanked (waved) for little things while I'm driving. I think I've received more "waves" in the last week than during 30 years of driving in California. I've started doing the same thing to other polite drivers.

Quote:
9. Does Asheville have a drug problem? A gang problem? I've seen the crime stats but I want to know if the crime is drug or gang driven.
I haven't seen anyone flying their gang colors, but I also don't enter the part of Asheville where I would be more inclined to witness it. As for drugs, I'm sure that it's here, especially with the dred-lock, nose pierced, junior-hippie wanna-be's that downtown Asheville seems to attract. They dont' cause me any problems. It's similar to going to the zoo to watch the animals. It can be entertaining.

Quote:
10. How much do Asheville area apartment complexes typically raise rents at the end of a lease? (Where I live now, every year they go up $50 - $60 per month, not including water)
Someone else needs to answer this one for you. Sorry.

Quote:
11. Since the area is so heaviliy treed, any unusual problems with out of control fires? Deer in the road? Any unusual weather related problems? Have a mosquito/cricket/flies/tics/other bugs problem?
Fires: Not like in the west. It rains here and things don't dry out like elsewhere.

Deer: Sure, but the closer you get to developed areas the lesser the problem becomes.

Bugs: Well, there are some but it's not like down off the mountain in places like the coast, FL, etc. There's more than I've experienced in California but I have yet to see anything that scares me due to it's size or number.

Quote:
12. Is the area festive? Parades? Fireworks? Go all out for the holidays?
All kinds of things go on throughout the year although it's somewhat slowing down right now. I would suggest that you look up the Chamber of Commerce and City websites for more information on activities.

Quote:
13. Is the fire department paid or volunteer in the burbs? Is the police city, county or state? Any big military towns in the area?
In my area it's a volunteer fire department. There's various fire districts and each on will have its own station and volunteers to staff it.

Police: Asheville city has its own PD. Outside of the city is policed by the Buncombe County Sheriff Department.

Military: I don't know of anything in the mountains, but that doesn't mean too much since I'm a newbie. Perhaps someone has more info for you. BTW, there is a VA hospital just east of Asheville. I believe it's on Tunnel Road.

Laura, I hope that makes some sense. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer.

Garth

Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM

10 posts, read 35,715 times
Garth,
Where in CA did you live? I'm currently there now (20 miles NW of LA) and would like to know what were/are your biggest adjustments to moving to Asheville? Thanks for your response.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,566 times
Liz Ann,
Below is a copy of your post dated 9-26-06. In it you contradict what you just told Garth - on at least two accounts: one being the makeup of some downtown folk as depicted by Garth. You did a better job of describing these folks in your second paragraph, first sentence. Your version provided more adjectives as well as the "pickpocket" vocation. College kids, eh? The other contradictory statement is what you closed your post with using the following words: "Do not judge". I suppose we should therefore ignore your derision of NY'ers and Floridians (aforementioned) since you advise us not to judge. Nice Southern hospitality you exude.
__________________________________________________ ___

(Your post dated Sept 26, 2006):

"What an insult, rednecky, on the "outskirts" of Asheville. Give me strength for the insults of those of you who don't know what you're talking about. Like Asheville is some sort of nucleus of fine gentrification.

Asheville has its share of unkempt, Bohemian type former flower children with long gray braids, headbands, purple hair, goth types, filthy dirty street people who pickpocket. University eccentrics, people with more money than you've ever seen in your life who don't "flaunt" it, have a modecum of class. They all mix right in with the nouveau riche Mercedes and Lexus crowds who do flash it, and they love to people watch as those BMW's go in and out of their upper crust haunts like the Grove Park Inn and smirk at their excess. It is an artsy town, full of exciting talent, famous artists, jewelers, incredibly talented craftspeople, many of whom are gay. Truly a mixture of all types. Crime, yes, it's everywhere. Some areas more than others. The NY'ers and halfback Floridians bring their arrogance with them and live on the outskirts, and they are the people like the writers of the the prior posts whom the so-called rednecks watch and laugh at behind their backs. How dare you insult the locals of the Southland. They are good honest people for the most part. Tornado Alley is right on again with his crime studies ... take his advice and keep out if you are not going to come here and embrace this beautiful part of the world and the people who settled it. Do not judge."

Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
Those "...hippie wannabes" are what you will find in and around Asheville and in the outlying mountain areas. Typical CA newbie, not even a resident yet. Asheville is heavily populated with REAL artisans, craftspeople, talented wonderful good people. Since it is also a college town, these "weirdos" are students dude. I suggest you move nearer to the San Diego Zoo if you want entertainment, because you're not going to make it here in the southland, no matter what your name is. Amazing !
"Dude," huh? Hahaha, you're funny. Thanks for the entertainment.

There are different people here. That's why there are different neighborhoods where people "flock" with others of like mind. As they say, "birds of a feather flock together" and some of the birds certainly "flock" on the fringes of society. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

I do have to say that I've only met nice freindly welcoming people here. Perhaps you were one of them who was more pleasant in person.

Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann
Garth is insulting the area, like there are no "freaks" in CA, Freak Show Central! Give me a break. He does not even live in this area yet, but can post as an expert, and more of a wannable southerner himself judging people he doesn't even know; coming with a high and mighty attitude. Doesn't matter where anyone relocates to, what matters is their motivation. If he finds gawking at folks who are different than him, then he will not be accepted. Period.
I didn't mean to insult you or the area. For that I am sorry. It doesn't make sense for me to insult the area since I have chosen to buy property here, although not in the city center. I have enough sense to know that the city center wouldn't be appropriate for me and that a different area would be more applicable.

However, I do belive you are a either a little ultra sensative or that the remarks struck a little close to home. Again, I'm sorry for that but I also can't write to please everyone. Sometimes observations are just that, observations, and that they can't be refuted. To attack the messanger, rather than the message, doesn't serve your points very well.

As for posting as an expert, that I didn't do. The disclaimer was right at the beginning of my post. That doesn't make my comments any less valid. It makes them honest with the honest warning that there are likely better experts than me. The reader can then use them in context and apply appropriate weights to the words. Hopefully you can do the same.

Hopefully you'll also realize that how people present themselves to the world is an outward statement of their view of the world. It is something that can be commented on since they are advertising it. However, please note that I did not say some were not wonderful artisians of some sort. It's very possible that some are. It's also very possible that some are just wandering the streets of the nation in some sort of alternate lifestyle. It's hard to tell, but not all are contributing something wonderful to the community, art world, culture, or whatever.

Take care.

Last edited by garth; 11-04-2006 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You are SURE it's there. Judging just a tad sir?
Sure it's there as a group. As for an individual, their association allows for enough of a reasonable suspicion to be prudent in one's dealings until the individual proves himself different. You may disagree, but that's what makes the world go around.

BTW, thanks for the "sir" statment. Over 20 years in law enforcement has provided insight into many sectors of society, including the societal sector that you seem to have taken so personally. I have also learned that it makes no sense to argue or attempt to justify things to you. I'm sure anything I say would be lost in translation or twisted to other purposes, and it would remain off topic.

Have a nice day. Bye.

Last edited by garth; 11-04-2006 at 05:44 PM..

Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Garth,
Where in CA did you live? I'm currently there now (20 miles NW of LA) and would like to know what were/are your biggest adjustments to moving to Asheville? Thanks for your response.
I'll respond by private message on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina