Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:25 PM

33 posts, read 132,040 times

Advertisements

Lake Lure temps are chilly in the summer, but not cold. Water ski-ers will start playing in April and go straight through to early fall. The Lake Lure Beach area is relatively shallow, so it's going to be warmer. It's open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Lake Lure is a quiet lake, and a little safer we believe than some others because only a dozen or so jet-skis were grandfathered when they were outlawed 20 years ago. Pontoon boats, canoes, kayaks, and fishing guides can be rented.

I agree with VRBO as a choice for rentals. Don't forget to ask about parking spaces and relative room sizes, because some of the older homes were built as fishing cabins quite awhile back and the lots can be smallish. There are condos and single family homes available for rent at rumbling bald resort on lake lure (lakeluregolf.com) They allow use of a private beach, exercise spa, swimming pools. They also have 2 18-hole championship golf courses and restaurants that are open to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 07:55 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeGuy View Post
There are condos and single family homes available for rent at rumbling bald resort on lake lure (lakeluregolf.com) They allow use of a private beach, exercise spa, swimming pools. They also have 2 18-hole championship golf courses and restaurants that are open to the public.
Did that used to be called Fairfield Mountains?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 AM

129 posts, read 754,078 times
Default Hello from Rutherford County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post

No, Fairfield Mountains is a resort community located near Lake Lure.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:29 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post

Lake Lure Golf and Beach resort in now Rumbling Bald. Im not sure if there are new owners or they Rebranded. Anyone know?

For a little history, Fairfield Mountains used to be Bald Mountain Country Club, I think it changed in the 80's.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:19 PM

33 posts, read 132,040 times
Fairfield started the timeshares/condos and ran the golf courses and restaurants in the 60-70s and had several names in the interim. In 1996? the property owners bought the amenities and named it Lake Lure Golf & Beach Resort. Last year they re-named it Rumbling Bald Resort at Lake Lure. Some of the rentable condos are right on the water or golf course. Rentals are through several places (828) 625-3000 for the resort or Fairfield (828) 625-8901

Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,827 times
Smile lake lure vs. lake james

I know this is an older posted question, but as one who just got back from a day trip on a pontoon boat on LAKE JAMES, I know that it was well worth it and a lovely place to go. Not yet rented at Lake Lure, but the cost of renting a pontoon for an entire DAY was 1/2 of what it is on Lake Lure, and generally less expensive all around. Views from LAKE JAMES are also lovely, including Table Rock, and other popular mountain views. And the residential homes along the lake are not cluttered or trashy, and many are spectacularly lovely views in themselves. Crowds are less, and isn't that the whole idea of "getting away?"

The only problem I had was with the public restrooms at the marina and across from the lake restaurant which were small, not ventilated, not equipped w/soap or papertowels, and for the females, tiny or no mirrors. Not much chivalry or thoughtfulness at all evident in this regard, a common problem in many such restrooms. But for the lake and surrounding area, I'd go back anytime......

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,625 times
Lake James is bigger, less crowded, there are two places to rent pontoon boats, there is a restaurant on the west end of the lake, a stare park to visit on the lake in your boat, islands to land on and cook out on. Lake Lure is smaller, boats are way to expensive, and has to many tourist and is over rated. Only reason people say go to lake Lure is because that is the only place they went. Lake James hands down. I am 50 years old and going there to rent a pontoon boat this week.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM

41 posts, read 152,364 times
I moved to Asheville from out of state and absolutely love Lake Lure - I got a season pass to go to Chimney Rock and have been there countless times. There is a pontoon rental place right at the lake as well. We did a guided pontoon boat tour and loved it! They also offer evening dinner cruises I believe. Anyway, the views on Lake Lure are unbeatable. The village of Choimeny Rock while touristy is nice with some restaurants and shops. Overall I love that area - it feels like your on vacation when you are there - and it would be my choice for a vacation home (if only we could afford one). The Rumbling Bald resort has condos that can be rented and you will find plenty of other choices searching Vacation Rentals By Owner. Also if you go to Chimeny Rock - be sure to take the elevator up but hike the trail down. On the hike down, there is a "grotto" that gives you a great view below of the Lake and the trail actually passes through a small tunnel / cave that my kids love to go through.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
There's also another trail, a foot trail inside Chimney Rock Park, it's a ways before where the elevator goes up, it's near the big field, off to the right and there's a little parking. The trail goes for a couple miles and winds up at the bottom of Chimney Rock Falls, just a pretty and moderately easy and wide dirt (and rock) path to hike, lots of people go to and fro, play in and photograph the water ponds and boulders where the falls end up. Gosh the whole area is just so beautiful, mountains everywhere and up close, refreshing with the rushing river there, high waterfall, lake, cool mountain air, clouds drifting in the vales... Lake James doesn't hold a candle to it, for a true mtn getaway, altho James is a lot larger and good for lots of speedboats.

We used to drive up to Lake Lure from Asheville on a lot of weekends, just for a day-trip. Nice hotel right on the lake beach, guess the beach park will be closed after this coming weekend. LL has paddle boats, marinas, all sorts of rented furnished homes with their own dock and view of the lake. Oh, and the scenery from the top of Chimney Rock is unbelievable, it's where they filmed some of the ledge parts of "Last of the Mohicans," seems like Lake Lure goes on for miles from waaaaay up there. There was another thread, about six months ago, about places to eat, a fellow wanted to propose to his girl in a nice restaurant, and he had a very good experience in one of the recommended spots. I could go on and on about Lake Lure, but I'm prejudiced, I live in Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina