Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Recap of Asheville trip, Asheville beautiful weather, bed and breakfast near Tunnel road, Black Mountain area close to amenities, homey feel, family friendly community

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 PM

189 posts, read 448,724 times

Advertisements

We got back home from Asheville yesterday to 98 degree heat. The weather is sooo lovely in Asheville, even on the day it was 91. To those who complain about humidity there, well I just dont know what to say to you!

Things turned out so differently than we had thought-went there expecting to like the Waynesville or Mars Hill/Marshall areas but didnt care for either. We stayed at a lovely B&B off Patton, near Tunnel Rd, and loved the amenities that area has to offer.

The place we absolutely fell in love with is Black Mountain. So close to all the amenities of Asheville , but with a homey feel. The owners of the b&b there never lock their front door and have yet to have anything stolen.

Will update later when more info comes available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
We recently sold our little vacation home in Asheville which was right in town behind the mall, but by far my favorite area was Black Mountain. If we were to ever buy up there again, that would be where we would do it! It has a wonderful vibe there, we just love it!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
LovesRoses! Imagine running into you here.

Austin wasn't quite for me so now I'm looking at other places, Asheville being one of them (and looking like the most likely candidate so far).

Wouldn't it be funny if we both ended up in Asheville?

Old 08-09-2008, 02:52 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,466 times
Might have to look you both up...Was thinking about N. FL, but posts have lead me to think I might enjoy a transition to Asheville over N. FL.

The best of all worlds, a friendly, open-southern town feel, not over-run with tourists...and mountains! I miss my hiking!
Might have to buy you a cup of coffee up there...Just look for the dude with a gecko on his arm!

Key West is just becoming too old and expensive...Not to mention SMALL...

Old 08-09-2008, 04:36 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
Isn't Black Mountain really expensive? Some of the other areas are cheaper.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Might have to look you both up...Was thinking about N. FL, but posts have lead me to think I might enjoy a transition to Asheville over N. FL.

The best of all worlds, a friendly, open-southern town feel, not over-run with tourists...and mountains! I miss my hiking!
Might have to buy you a cup of coffee up there...Just look for the dude with a gecko on his arm!

Well, be sure and do your research - Asheville is full of retirees and others from the northeast by way of Florida - halfbacks they're called. Like all the growing parts of NC it is less southern all the time.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:

ummmm - As I mentioned, we just sold our home up there which we had for 3 years, we're from Florida, and I got to say Asheville is LOADED with tourists, retirees and transplants. Now the good part of that is, that is the reason why there are so many nice restaurants that can stay in business, the small town by itself could never support all that.

Bottom line, Asheville is lovely, but is as touristy and crowded as it comes in season, which is all year except the 4 winter months. As the above poster advised, do your research.

OT - We live in Lakeland and we have a little gecko living somewhere in our back yard - I hear him every evening (just love those little gecko calls!) He's our good luck charm.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I am looking into it more. Wanted to go to school somewhere closer to Indiana than Key West and also where it was cheaper to live and close to mountains.

Key West just isn't practical. A lot of people come down and look at me like...wow, you LIVE here?!? I wouldn't. It's just too overrun. Is it worse up in Asheville. I mean, at least there you have the land to escape too.right...?

Man, starting to think should go back to the old drawing board...Haven't given up yet though...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am looking into it more. Wanted to go to school somewhere closer to Indiana than Key West and also where it was cheaper to live and close to mountains.

Key West just isn't practical. A lot of people come down and look at me like...wow, you LIVE here?!? I wouldn't. It's just too overrun. Is it worse up in Asheville. I mean, at least there you have the land to escape too.right...?

Man, starting to think should go back to the old drawing board...Haven't given up yet though...
Ghost- Asheville is WAY better than Key West. I only visited Key West once, and had no desire to ever go back, let alone live there.
You could probably enjoy Asheville, I only wanted to say that there ARE a lot of tourists and retirees there. Jobs are very scarce, and expenses are kind of high (but probably way less than Key West) You could also check out the smaller towns close in Like Black Mountain and Weaverville - just a few minutes drive from Asheville. I have also heard good things about the smaller town of Brevard. Go ahead and check it out, you can always leave if it doesn't work out!

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Nobody says...you can't go back...

Very true, you can always leave. But I don't want to come to your community and be another one of those people you don't like, that come and go, use up some of your resources, annoy you, and then leave. BELIEVE ME, I know how that feels!

I want to make sure it's a good fit. The big thing I am worried about now is work/school combo. It really does stink as I have to leave a good paying job in a town I could take or leave, just to get to a place where school and living may be affordable. I really hope I can pull the two of them off. I am not so worried about work anymore. I think with the right attitude and resume, experience, and work ethic anyone can get a job anywhere.

I am just making the final rings before I sink into the hoop, (basketball reference, am a Hoosier) and have to make sure it's what I really want. I don't think the level of tourism is the same as Key West for a minute, and if there are less S. Florida people, even better. It's a small island to be constantly bombarded with people, that's all. If there are trails and mountains to escape too. Yeah...I would love it!

I just have to find the place now, I am checking out the Grove Apts, next to the college, seem cheap enough, but I really am tired of the whole roommate thing...Any thoughts to that place if you know would be great. I will start a thread and ask the same too.

I am not worried about the age demographic, it's higher here than late 30's and 40's and I still meet people all the time. I refuse to be one of those people who doesn't do anything and complains about it. But if you have a nice bar or two, country one...please!, and some nice people, I think I could settle in just fine. It's a much better transition from South Florida then Denver...not as far either!

It would be nicer to be closer to Indiana too...just not TOO close! Thanks as always!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina