Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 AM

10 posts, read 38,253 times

Advertisements

I need help building a house. Very simple in design, 4 corners, 33x42, poured tuck-under basement, the rest is stick built, with 2 stories above the basement. Locatin is about 25 min. north of downtown Asheville, right outside Marshall city limits. I would like to find an independent, experienced GC who would take me through the construction process and not rip me off. If anyone can recommend such an individual, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete99 View Post
I need help building a house. Very simple in design, 4 corners, 33x42, poured tuck-under basement, the rest is stick built, with 2 stories above the basement. Locatin is about 25 min. north of downtown Asheville, right outside Marshall city limits. I would like to find an independent, experienced GC who would take me through the construction process and not rip me off. If anyone can recommend such an individual, please let me know.
Hi Pete I don't have anyone in particular to recommend, but I do have a suggestion.

People I know are currently building a home that sounds just like the kind of home you want to build (but in southern Virginia, not NC). They found a Mennonite community that are building their home VERY affordably. I have been to see the progress twice and I am very impressed with the quality of their work and how very neat and tidy they keep the whole work site. Since it is a "community effort" the men are teaching the boys great skills and the overhead is much lower than for other builders. The head contractor Mennonite member is licensed and has all the qualifications to do home building. I just thought maybe you could do some research to see if there is such a community near your property. My friends are very satisfied and their home really is coming along beautifully. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 AM

Sounds awesome, I'll definitely look into it. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:33 PM

As far as building your own home, has anyone ever thought of bringing construction people in from out of state, i.e. depressed areas work wise, yet good professional workers? Housing them near the home site. I think in the area surrounding Asheville, the builders are way too obnoxious with their prices. Easy money has been coming in from boomers, until recently, but the prices still remain inflated to n-th degree. I know it's fun to make a lot of easy money, specially when they just throw it at you no matter what you call out, but it's time to get back to reality. I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
Pete, we're getting quotes of $125 to $160 per sf in the Waynesville area.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 AM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
One other possibility would be to go out to a city on the fringe of the Asheville MSA like Marion and see if you could get someone from there to do your job. The economy in McDowell County is poor, construction activity is down and I'd think that the builders there would be both eager for work and willing to make the ride into Asheville for a good project. I've heard there are some good reasonable builders there although I don't know specific names. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:19 PM

122 posts, read 456,771 times
Moderator cut: removed
And as far as hiring from outside.. you are going to have take into consideration the price of gas. There are plenty of builders and carpenters in Madison County. In fact I only knew two husbands that did something besides build.

Last edited by autumngal; 08-31-2008 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: to comply with the terms of service

Old 09-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks for advice, please keep em coming! Does anyone else have any ideas on getting a relatively simple house built at a controlled cost? Maybe some like minded people can get together and help each other.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Default Still too high....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
Pete, we're getting quotes of $125 to $160 per sf in the Waynesville area.
It's 125/ft in Philly area, expensive area.... and that includes a good size lot, in a good neighborhood. Log homes in Asheville were going for 150 a foot minimum last year.... LOG HOMES!!! Are Asheville builders still so busy, considering the downturn, that they dont have to lower prices? Or is it stubbornness? I understand the concept of price stickiness, but eventually they'll have to revert to the mean. If the house is real easy to build on an accessable lot, 70-90/ft leaves plenty of profit margin for the builder. They're pigs though... so eventually they'll become bacon But the gas price is crashing. Here in South Jersey it's under $2 already. Should lessen the impact when bringing builders up from Marion, etc... I guess...

Pete

Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM

284 posts, read 985,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete99 View Post
It's 125/ft in Philly area, expensive area.... and that includes a good size lot, in a good neighborhood. Log homes in Asheville were going for 150 a foot minimum last year.... LOG HOMES!!! Are Asheville builders still so busy, considering the downturn, that they dont have to lower prices? Or is it stubbornness? I understand the concept of price stickiness, but eventually they'll have to revert to the mean. If the house is real easy to build on an accessable lot, 70-90/ft leaves plenty of profit margin for the builder. They're pigs though... so eventually they'll become bacon But the gas price is crashing. Here in South Jersey it's under $2 already. Should lessen the impact when bringing builders up from Marion, etc... I guess...

Pete
have you ever looked into modular homes ?
Modular Homes Consumers Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina