Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM

352 posts, read 518,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMTN View Post
Just a guess but I'd say there will be no camping in the park because the park is closed at night (or always has been). Call and ask them. 800-277-9611
Right, but i believe Chimney Rock State Park is going to cover a lot more than just the old Chimney Rock gated area, i would think camping would be outside of that but still in the state park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,772 times
Camping is in the master plan, I think it is years down the road. This thread is 2 years old and as of now no dirt has been turned for new trails, etc. It looks like it is going to be a sloooooooooooow process.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM

352 posts, read 518,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Camping is in the master plan, I think it is years down the road. This thread is 2 years old and as of now no dirt has been turned for new trails, etc. It looks like it is going to be a sloooooooooooow process.

has the master plan been released?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
has the master plan been released?
Not that I am aware of. Here is a link to the NC State Parks. Not much info there. N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Chimney Rock State Park

Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 59,324 times
I worked for the surveying company that surveyed all the tracts for the Nature Conservancy. We did most of the work around 01'-03'. The 800ac+ Rumbling Bald tract was a monster. I've walked up and down most of the mountains in that area.
IMO, I don't think they'll have camping in that park. I'm just glad to know that a big portion of that gorge will be protected. There's deep dark places in those mountains that seem untouched. You could swear you were the first person to see some of those sights.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 15,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Here is a combination of the two. It doesn't line up perfectly, but better than I expected.

I would have given anything if the Deep Gap area in Polk County had been bought by The Nature Conservancy or anyone before the Bright's Creek Golf Club got it. It could have connected directly to World's Edge.

So what is Bright’s Creek Golf Club? It’s a 4,600± acre (roughly the same size as The Cliffs at Glassy and The Cliffs at Walnut Cove combined) private residential community with “approximately” 1,350 units (this number keeps growing, it started at “a little over a thousand”) and much of the land will be placed in “conservation easements” (meaning the mountainside is too steep for a lot there anyway, so we’ll say we're “conserving” it). The community, located in northwestern Polk County between Lake Adger and the Henderson County line, has a completed Tom Fazio designed 7,435 yard 19 (yes, 19) hole golf course.

But wait, there's more! Why build one golf course when you can have two? Yes, they’re building at least two courses in one development.

From the Tryon Daily Bulletin, July 21, 2006:

When will it ever end? More mountain sides destroyed so the bourgeoisie can spend one weekend a month in their multi-million dollar homes.

i used to work at Brights Creek last year before i moved back to Ohio. but from what i understand the 2nd golf course is gonna be built at the top of the mountain in henderson county. now the one i don't agree with is White Oak. i was working there help building it before i went to Bright's Creek. they were shut down so many times cause they wouldn't follow EPA regulations. i can't caount how many days my crew had to go and put up silt fence or seed and straw areas cause they neglected to do it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina