Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,436,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I'm guessing she might have meant "fiduciary" duties. It'll be difficult for her to move (e.g. sell her home) as long as her neighbor is creating the violations she described.

Maddie2007: You are in a difficult position. The best I can suggest is to try to round up support by getting as many of your other neighbors as possible to band together to put more pressure on your HOA board. Would that be possible?

Fiduciary duty relates mainly to a person's assets such as in a Trust or a banking relationship. It is the highest legal duty that a person can entrust to another party to manage their money/assets. That in itself is a legal question, I highly doubt that HOA fees paid are 'assets' entrusted to an HOA which, in NC, is a non-profit corporation.

If she moves and loses money, at that point she may have recourse through the courts for alienation of property rights by the HOA, due to the HOA's non-action resulting in interference with the sale of her property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
I own a rental in a HOA community.
Property value went down by approx 75 percent in 1 year. The neighbor decided to put up a makeshift fence to hold 4 horses on about 1 acre. The rules state 1 horse per 1.5 acres and must be in back of house.i.e. not in front yard.
Besides the awful sight ( i own horse...2 on 11 acres) the smell is horrible. Hundreds of birds at a time surrounding the feces. Flies are everywhere. ...HOA say there isnt much they can do.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:01 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,561,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applepie77320 View Post
I own a rental in a HOA community.
Property value went down by approx 75 percent in 1 year. The neighbor decided to put up a makeshift fence to hold 4 horses on about 1 acre. The rules state 1 horse per 1.5 acres and must be in back of house.i.e. not in front yard.
Besides the awful sight ( i own horse...2 on 11 acres) the smell is horrible. Hundreds of birds at a time surrounding the feces. Flies are everywhere. ...HOA say there isnt much they can do.
Applepie, where is your property? NC?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,436,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Applepie, where is your property? NC?

The poster is most likely in the wrong state forum; zip code 77320 is Huntsville, Texas

Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:58 PM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
Are HOAs sued all that often?

Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 PM

GotHereQuickASICould, I don't know. But along those lines, I do know there are courts that won't take them seriously. I know there are some law enforcement people that say if there's a problem outside your home you have to go with them to confront the people causing the problem because it's private property....say some drunks in the woods, poachers with guns, etc.

I also know muni employees are very glad to have people supposedly happily contained in the HOAs with lots of amenities to keep them happy and busy and quiet and sometimes taking care of roads and sometimes even security work. And paying for those amenities plus still paying for the same muni things non hoa people pay for.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:37 AM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
I've tried several online searches and found why HOAs typically get sued, but not how many are involved in litigation at any one time.

"We do a lot of recalls and a lot of election disputes," says Alessandra Stivelman, an associate attorney who specializes in community association law at Eisinger Brown Lewis Frankel & Chaiet in Hollywood, Fla. "Those are really time-consuming, and associations hate them. In addition, a lot of issues we deal with when associations get sued are for failure to keep up with the common elements and failure to comply with a records request or inspection."

The Top Seven Reasons HOAs Get Sued

Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,421,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Are HOAs sued all that often?
Yes.
It probably stems from the fact that they spend all their time threatening, restricting, and making demands on their involuntary members. They sue often and they get sued often - the former more than the latter.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:20 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,487,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Yes.
It probably stems from the fact that they spend all their time threatening, restricting, and making demands on their involuntary members. They sue often and they get sued often - the former more than the latter.
I respectfully disagree that HOA members are involuntary. Anyone buying a home in a development with an existing HOA is making a conscious choice to do so. That is not an involuntary choice.

We have owned 3 homes governed by HOAs and, while not always agreeing with every decision, we've never experienced bullying, out of control, or totally unreasonable HOA boards. It's not totally foolproof, but there's usually enough information available that homebuyers can perform their due diligence and avoid many of the negative surprises regarding HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: