Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM

177 posts, read 971,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
"some" issues would be nice, there is literally NO gas in Asheville, and if it exists, the lines are 2 hours long, and the police have to keep the peace as people are literally fist fighting. Law enforcement has closed a couple of stations that had gas simply because the mayhem that ensued trying to get gas.

I had less trouble getting gas in the 70's shortage.
You're right. Unfortunately, times like this really bring out the worst in people. How would we act in really hard times? Not very civil or neighborly I'm sure. I live in Marion and gas has been more available there than in Asheville. Most places in Marion had it Tuesday morning but was out by the late afternoon. I'm sure some are coming from other areas to fuel up. We don't seem to run out near as quickly as in Asheville. I work in Asheville and luckily I was able to get gas before leaving for work. In my situation and others that have to travel to work, no gas means no work...which means, no money no gas, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Well naturally we have more gas stations in the area but as noted in the linked thread there are many stations completely out of gas.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 PM

79 posts, read 359,286 times
I have been iced in, snowed in, out of gas, no power, roads closed, gridlock traffic,trees down, flooding !! on & on more here than any other place I have ever been. It might be nice for retiree's that get a check in the mail but for the rest of us it sucks -and it is just too inconvient of a place to live.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
"some" issues would be nice, there is literally NO gas in Asheville, and if it exists, the lines are 2 hours long, and the police have to keep the peace as people are literally fist fighting. Law enforcement has closed a couple of stations that had gas simply because the mayhem that ensued trying to get gas.

I had less trouble getting gas in the 70's shortage.

I was tellng my husband about Asheville and he just heard how hard it is if not impossable to get gas in Asheville on the news.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

272 posts, read 786,529 times
This must be a regional thing. We've got plenty of gas here in the Midatlantic (DE, NJ, PA, MD) running at $3.45-3.55/gal in my neighborhood. I was also recently in the Midwest and there was plenty of gas there too.

So what's up down there?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
I was tellng my husband about Asheville and he just heard how hard it is if not impossable to get gas in Asheville on the news.
Asheville is not close to any gas distribution point. Asheville is not close to anything if you think about it! The nearest city of any size is Spartanburg to the south. To the west is mountains, to the north is mountains and to the east is the small city of Hickory. It's far easier, and more lucrative, to deliver gas to heavier populated areas.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Asheville is not close to any gas distribution point. Asheville is not close to anything if you think about it! The nearest city of any size is Spartanburg to the south. To the west is mountains, to the north is mountains and to the east is the small city of Hickory. It's far easier, and more lucrative, to deliver gas to heavier populated areas.
The tankers from the area are being turned away from the pipeline terminal in Spartenburg empty. With I26 directly linking Asheville to the pipeline terminal only an hour from away, we are not in the middle of nowhere. The very same pipeline that services much of the east coast, where there are only minimal shortages if any.

There is gas in the tanks at the pipeline terminal, but the news is reporting that it is "spoken for" and so it just sits in the tanks. The pipeline company, Colonial Pipeline, will not tell the media how much gas is sitting in tanks at their Spartenburg terminal.

Colonial Pipeline Co.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM

177 posts, read 971,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
That's true, but the gas is coming from Spartanburg...I think, which really isn't that far from Asheville.

A woman told me today that she had just gotten back from the Charleston, SC area and didn't have any gas issues until she got to Landrum, SC (right across the state line on I-26). She said from that point to Asheville there was no gas except for a few, and they were lined up.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Due to the gas shortage, Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College has announced it will close at 4:30 today (9/24) and will remain closed until at least Sunday (9/28).

Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
"Some experts said Asheville’s relative remoteness from the Colonial Pipeline, the main artery for East Coast gasoline supplies, and sparse population compared with major metropolitan areas could be adding to the problem."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina