Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 82,929 times

Advertisements

You are scaring me. I am planning to move to Asheville within the next 3 months from New Port Richey, Fl. The main reason we chose that area was for the mountains and change of seasons.I am interested in architecture of a by gone era and plan on purchasing a home that can be restored. That is also our business-constructional remodeling and cleaning.We will continue to manage our business from a distance while checking out the opportunities in N.C.My daughters are all 3 drug free(thank you, Lord!)so Nothing could be as bad as Florida.I was a bit surprised to hear of the problems, though.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 AM

165 posts, read 884,010 times
Ha, just up the road in Hudson, planning to move to Marshall, Madison county this year. Getting out of Pasco County will be wonderful. Asheville and surrounds are far better than this area.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldono View Post
You are scaring me. I am planning to move to Asheville within the next 3 months from New Port Richey, Fl. The main reason we chose that area was for the mountains and change of seasons.I am interested in architecture of a by gone era and plan on purchasing a home that can be restored. That is also our business-constructional remodeling and cleaning.We will continue to manage our business from a distance while checking out the opportunities in N.C.My daughters are all 3 drug free(thank you, Lord!)so Nothing could be as bad as Florida.I was a bit surprised to hear of the problems, though.
I am also from Pasco County, bought our second home in Asheville in 2005 where I spend part time. I LOVE it there! I am in a little neighborhood behind the mall, we have no crime at all - most of my neighbors have been here 20 - 40 years, with no problems ever. Downtown is wonderful, only seen 2 panhandlers in all the times I've been there - fun atmosphere, lively, vibrant, lots of people of all ages having fun but NOT drunk or stoned! Seasons are beautiful, weather is gorgeous, not too many too hot or too cold days. Believe me, this place has NO problems compared to those we have in Florida. Hope this makes you feel better - you will love Asheville, and the beauty of the mountains is breathtaking!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
Jcat, you sound as if you're really mad at Asheville. I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about that city. I've only ever heard good things....

Schools - The N.C. report card thingy showed good numbers for Buncombe County Schools...higher scores than the state of N.C. in every category I looked at. Percentage of students on or above grade level was 90%, compared with the N.C. state percentage of 84%. The schools sound pretty solid.

"The socioeconomic differences between people here is absolutely astounding. All walks of life are gathered here. Very diverse racially, as well. You can walk out of a beautiful neighborhood, and be in a low income, or trailer park area instantly. Buncombe County (Asheville) has more trailer parks and trailer homes than any other in NC."
The same in any city; diversity of all kinds is part of urban life. You would need to live in a rural area to avoid this.

"If you are a Floridian, originally from the North, they will call you a "half back". But, not to your face."
Okay, fill me in: How do you know someone is calling you names if it's not to your face?

"And if you are a husband and wife, the wife needs a bill in her OWN name. The husband needs a bill in his name. OK, I am bitter. I had to go there 3 times before I had all my docs in a row!"
Ahhhh...so you know what it's like for same-sex couples who have to go through hassles like this. Be glad you don't have to deal with the many other problems of being 'roommates'.

"City is annexing towns on the outskirts of the city as fast as they can. Look on a map, and find Biltmore Lake, in Candler. Yep, they are annexing that too!!"
The city has only annexed a total of 17,000 people since 1973...Winston-Salem annexed that many at one time in 2006. It's very common in N.C. cities because the General Assembly approved the practice in th 50's to promote efficient growth.

"How about a specialty store, a bakery (an Italian Bakery cannot be found)"
I found listings for several bakeries in Asheville, one specializing in French breads and pastries, and at least 2 that mention Italian breads, and a few with organic menus. There were at least 10 listed, as Asheville is known for it's cafes and bakeries.

"Drivers license- You have to take an entire test, and have lots of documentation."
This would be a state requirement, and if I'm not mistaken it's that way in many states when you have another state's license. I know when I moved to Georgia I had to take the written test to get a GA driver's license.

"oh, no and here is the real kicker...an automobile tax, EVERY year, that you HAVE to pay. Whether your car is leased, or you own it!!!! For one of our cars, it was $800!! And again, to be clear, it has to be paid EVERY year, on the same car."
Ok, unless this has recently changed, in N.C. you pay property taxes on your vehicle just like on your house - they are both property. Believe me it's much cheaper that way than GA's ad velurom tax on vehicles. I'm pretty sure in any state you pay property tax of some sort on any property valued over a ceratin amount. If you're was $800 then I'm thinking 'very expensive car'. As you know people don't feel badly for anyone driving a luxury car.

"On a sour note, there is a serious drug problem here."
I'm having a little trouble buying this ('buying' - an accidental pun). Drugs are really a problem in Asheville? Drug trafficking and usage is everywhere, even in the smallest towns...so is the drug problem in Asheville affecting your quality life or is it something you see in the news? I just can't picture this as a problem in Asheville.

"A spa, a decent nail place,..."
Asheville being a popular vacation spot, the city has dozens of spas. Do a search, you'll find most any kind you desire. As far as retail, I know Asheville is no Rodeo Drive, but there is a good bit of retail to choose from. There are two malls in the city with regular mall-ish stores. If you can't find what you want, make the 3 hour drive to Atlanta - we have everything. The day care situation I can't comment. How many day care facilities are there in Asheville?

Okay I've said enough.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:14 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I am finding drugs to be a problem no matter where you go. We are in a small town and my son, who is a senior, tells me that drugs are easier to get than alcohol in high school. Not that I approve of either in a high school student, but that is plum scary to me.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I have been researching Carolina Day School.I was under the impression that it has no drug problam,that being so small,the kids are really supervised above and beyond the public schools.I also was told they get a stellar education....anyone else have opinions on the school.This thread has been an eye opener for me,and I have been to Asheville many many times.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Default Drugs in Asheville

I'm hesitant to put in my 2 cents, since it has been several years since I lived in Asheville, but when I lived there I noticed an unexpectedly high number of people using marijuana and/or talking openly about using marijuana. I think this may depend on which groups of people you befriend--there are several distinct groups that coexist but have very different worlds.

I was told that in the 70s, when California real estate became expensive, many pot growers moved to the coves in Western NC because 1) it was less expensive, 2) Western NC was a very friendly place for "hippies" to live and 3) it's easy to hide operations in the coves. I'm not sure if this was only pot growers or included other things such as small time meth labs.

I had a friend in AA, and he seemed to think there were an unusually high number of AA meetings there. Don't know if you'd consider that a good sign or a bad sign, just an interesting observation.

I loved to go downtown, and did many things there. I always felt safe. There are some areas to avoid, however... Mostly you can tell which areas to avoid, but some can fool you. For example, be careful in Montford. Rating the crime level is a subjective thing, however, and if you have lived in a big city such as LA, NY or Miami, however, you will not think it's dangerous.

I loved living in Asheville and highly recommend it.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I have been researching Carolina Day School.I was under the impression that it has no drug problam,that being so small,the kids are really supervised above and beyond the public schools.I also was told they get a stellar education....anyone else have opinions on the school.This thread has been an eye opener for me,and I have been to Asheville many many times.
Both the Asheville School and Christ School for Boys are excellent. Both have been in operation for over 100 years.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:13 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Both the Asheville School and Christ School for Boys are excellent. Both have been in operation for over 100 years.
I have not heard of these private schools.I will check them out,.thank you so much

Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post

Denial that there is a problem is the biggest problem of all...

How long has it been since you guys were in high school? I would be that it was longer ago for me...+-20 years ago...
drugs were a 'problem' when I was in high school.

1. It was all in the media - all the time
2. Nancy Reagan started the "Just Say No" campaign
3. Drugs were easier to get than alcohol (incidently ALSO a drug)
4. Nothing has changed?

It is much easier to buy weed than alcohol when you're 17. No one requires a picture ID for drugs....Kids are not going to stop trying drugs...it's something that's 'off limits' to them, therefore very attractive to them. I guess my advice to the parents worried about the drug problem is...talk to your kids and concentrate on making sure they know how you feel about drug use. It's dangerous, not only for their health but in the sense of driving while impaired and in the sense that they could be arrested.

I may be wrong, but I don't see the drug problem being any worse than it was 20 years ago. There are a couple of new drugs, but there were a couple back then that they aren't doing now...and I think those were worse than the newer ones. Pot is organic and natural, so it will always be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina