Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 AM

14 posts, read 50,389 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Asheville next year and are looking in the AC Reynolds and TC Robertson high school areas. We have an 8 year old that loves/needs neighborhood kids to play with. I am researching neighborhoods now and am trying to find some options that have a good concentration of children. It looks like Glen Arden would be good, but I am not sure. Can anyone comment on areas that would meet these criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:50 AM

291 posts, read 1,203,713 times
The Arden/Skyland area is great ~ that's where we live. The schools here are also super ~ not city schools, but not country schools either. I don't know your budget, but Biltmore Park in Arden is a huge development of expensive homes with TONS of families and children. I have been a Nanny for various families there for years. There are sidewalks everywhere (a rarity in Asheville) and plenty of kids out playing after school.
Good luck with your research!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks. I am aware of Biltmore Park and love the development. However I believe it is overpriced, so we are looking elsewhere. I would like to find a neighborhood close to Biltmore Park like Ashley Woods or Glen Arden. Any comments about these two areas?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
Default Rivercrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious77 View Post
Thanks. I am aware of Biltmore Park and love the development. However I believe it is overpriced, so we are looking elsewhere. I would like to find a neighborhood close to Biltmore Park like Ashley Woods or Glen Arden. Any comments about these two areas?
Can also try RiverCrest off of Clayton. Actually closer to Long Shoals and Biltmore Park than Ashley Woods. Houses are priced better as well and construction was by local builders. Just go north on 191 from Ashley Woods a bit and turn right onto Clayton (same street as the big Baptist Church is on). RiverCrest will be on your left before you get to the church. Lots of kids of all ages in the neighborhood. PM me if you have specific questions or want more info. I am not a real estate agent just a happy recent resident.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Hey curious, sorry for the late response. I live in the Glen Arden area. The school is excellent, if a bit overcrowded. We have ten homes on our street, and a total of nine kids. The area around the elem school is a mix of empty nesters and young families. Decent size yards, quiet area, GREAT trick-or-treating!There are a lot of price points, too, from under $200k to over $400k.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks cooperwx. We were just in Asheville last weekend looking at houses and looked at one for sale in Glen Cove. It was close to the school, and the entire Glen Arden area seemed walkable. My one concern was having children for my youngest to play with (currently in second grade), so thanks for the details.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 PM

6 posts, read 17,749 times
curious77--have you moved to Asheville yet? We are a young family being transferred to Asheville....needed to know the neighborhoods with lots of kids, good schools....any advice?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM

No, we have not made it to Asheville yet. We will hopefully be there in the Fall.

As for schools, we are focusing on either TC Roberson or AC Reynolds. We have visited both and both have great reputations. Of the two, my favorite is Reynolds.

On kid-heavy neighborhoods, I am still a little in the dark. There is a smaller, newer neighborhood in the Roberson school district that looks to be good for familys. I have talked to someone that lives there and he confirmed this as well. This neighborhood is River Crest.

We are heading back down to Asheville this weekend to look at additional neighborhoods. If I find anything good I will post it here.

I hope that helps. Certainly let me know what you come up with as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM

curious--we are thinking about making a visit to Asheville next week. If we do, I will let you know what we find. Have you heard of Fletcher? The houses look nice there and good rated schools.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 AM

ps--great information. Thank you very much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina