Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,386 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that they say 63.6% of housing is vacant! Is that because that many houses are actually empty or because they are second/vacation homes? Still seems like an unbelievably high percentage. I'm hoping that values will drop a lot in the next year since that's when I plan to relocate. Up here my house has lost almost $200K in value so a realignment in Asheville will let me get more for my money--LJP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:52 PM

141 posts, read 323,047 times
I have no idea where they're getting the 60% vacancy stat; seems a bit suspect to me. The graphs are much more telling. Homes have a long way to decline in price to reach historical norms. Going to be awhile before bottom is reached here; too many people still believe things are "different" here.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:10 PM

374 posts, read 1,629,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I just sold mine last night (in Asheville). Thank God!
Hi, did you sell a home or land??

Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
Not when you have an over supply of houses on the market, at prices that have yet to begin to fall. Hope you have a job lined up or are independently wealthy because Asheville is one of the last hold out of the real estate bubble. Median household income in the area is around 37k, median home price close to 240+k now. You see what has happened in South Florida? Well it's coming here.

Interesting web site:

Asheville Neighborhood Profile on Yahoo! Real Estate - Demographics, Cost of Living & more!

Pay specific attention to the Zillow housing statistics. And take a good hard look at the ten year graph. We're going to be partyin' like it's 1999 once things settle.

Hey there, Merry Christmas... thank you for the info.. I will be east of Asheville. The prices haven't gone as crazy. Florida is a different animal! I've been selling in FL , but it is sooo depressing to deal with mostly foreclosures and short sales. I get them closed. It just isn't the market I wish to work in right now. ( very few normal sales) People always have to come and go since life changes, jobs, death, moving down, moving up. I'll just say my prayers and work my a****ss off!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,764 times
Hi Wendy, thx for the info. Yes, S FL is a different animal!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Hi Wendy, thx for the info. Yes, S FL is a different animal!
Added to Friend List!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,042 times
A home. Well, technically it has not closed yet, so we are still a bit wary. But we are under contract to seemingly solid buyers. Our fingers are definitely crossed, though.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
A home. Well, technically it has not closed yet, so we are still a bit wary. But we are under contract to seemingly solid buyers. Our fingers are definitely crossed, though.
Good Luck with your home sale. Watch the dates on your contract and always ask for Lender updates. Wendyb

Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
Median household income in the area is around 37k, median home price close to 240+k now.
Isn't this simply explained by the large population of wealthy retirees and "trust fund children" who aren't earning high incomes, but still have a lot of money to spend on housing?

Quote:
You see what has happened in South Florida? Well it's coming here.
Not likely -- it's apples and oranges. Real estate is largely a local/regional phenomenon.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Isn't this simply explained by the large population of wealthy retirees and "trust fund children" who aren't earning high incomes, but still have a lot of money to spend on housing?
Yes, a lot of 'em here. I have a friend who dropped 300k on a house, they're in their early 20s and make 30k/yr. Dad paid for it all. A lot of those up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina