Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Yes, a lot of 'em here. I have a friend who dropped 300k on a house, they're in their early 20s and make 30k/yr. Dad paid for it all. A lot of those up here.
I believe it. The other thing is that a lot of the homes in Asheville are second homes, and so those incomes are not included in the statistics that were quoted.

Income, in this case, is not really an accurate measure of the wealth in the area, so it's really not a fair gauge to use when discussing home prices.

Unfortunately for me, I don't think home prices are going to go down much more in Asheville, especially considering what the Fed did today. Wow.

I worry about the long-term consequences though, which I admittedly don't fully understand. In the short term, the government seems determined to put a stop to the devaluation of the housing market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I worry about the long-term consequences though, which I admittedly don't fully understand. In the short term, the government seems determined to put a stop to the devaluation of the housing market.
The current mess, the sub-prime mortgage bust is going to seem like a minor bump. Starting in 2009, the "Alt-A" and "option ARM" mortgages are going to start taking their toll, and it will be bigger and last longer than the sub-prime mess.

CBS had a piece on it Sunday on 60 Minutes A Second Mortgage Disaster On The Horizon?, 60 Minutes: New Wave Of Mortgage Rate Adjustments Could Force More Homeowners To Default - CBS News It ain't going to be pretty

Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Starting in 2009, the "Alt-A" and "option ARM" mortgages are going to start taking their toll, and it will be bigger and last longer than the sub-prime mess.
It could be. I'm sure the Fed action yesterday was at least in part aimed at heading off this problem, which they surely are aware of. I'm not sure how Asheville stacks up to the rest of the state in terms of foreclosures, but one person I spoke with opined that Asheville didn't really see alot of speculation compared to other places.

However, the predatory lending practices and naive/misinformed home buyers phenomenon must surely exist here as well; I can't see how it wouldn't.

So I'm sure there will be some additional pain. It remains to be seen though if it will be as bad as advertised.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times

Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
Paddler, drive around the boom areas in Asheville. For speculators, there are a few in West Asheville, one of which I know is about to lose everything. Sad but you pay your money and you take your chances.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
$900K spec house down the street is entering year 3 of sitting there empty and unsold, been on the market almost 4 years including construction phase.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
$900K spec house down the street is entering year 3 of sitting there empty and unsold, been on the market almost 4 years including construction phase.
Yes, of course the high-end market is going to get slammed. But the 150-2750K market is not so gloomy. My real estate broker friend in the Raleigh area has sold 4 new homes in the last month in that range. Not a bad month.

On the other hand, there's a 700k Victorian home that sat for 10 months with no action, and the seller took it off the market.

So it's not really accurate to point to a 900K house that isn't selling as benchmark for the housing market in general.

There's no doubt the market is taking a big hit -- but you have to keep it in perspective too. It's not all doooooooommm and gloooooooommmmm.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
If anything it will make it more affordable. We need more decent builders. I am sick and tired of that one floor plan single story with tan siding that is the official house of Asheville. Can't spit w/o hitting one.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
Quote:
We have one of those around the corner from us. It was part of the parade of homes in 2007, got 2 or 3 visitors in about a year and now has renters in it.

The "build it and they will come" era is over for probably quite a while.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:02 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
Default Home sales drop

The was an article in the Citizen Times this week that said home sales in the Asheville area dropped 50.4% in November 2008 compared to Nov 2007. Here is a link to the article. Don't know how long they will keep it active. At any rate it appears that the market in Asheville is catching up with the rest of the Nation on its downward spiral--LJP

Local home sales swoon in November | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina