Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 03:51 PM

279 posts, read 533,770 times

Advertisements

A few nights ago something knocked over the trash can and, being an idiot, I marched right out there.

The trash can had fallen so that the lid was up against the house. I pulled it upright and noticed a very large muddy pawprint on the top. I turned around and, standing by my truck on its hind legs was a bear. It seemed as surprised as I was.

It's been back every night since then and we are getting concerned. They have broken into houses around here in the past.

I would like to go do some target practice with my 12 gauge. I have not fired it in many years. There are some ranges in the phonebook but I was wondering if I could get some reviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM

122 posts, read 456,771 times
I do not know of a place for target practice, so I cannot help you there.
I can however help you when it comes to proper etiquette when living in bear country.
Keep your trash cans inside.
Keep your dog food inside.
Keep anything that would be of interest to a bear inside.
Call the proper authorities if you continue to have problems after you have tidied up your area.
Random shootings of bears will not win you any friends and can land you in a well deserved heap of trouble.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenista View Post
I do not know of a place for target practice, so I cannot help you there.
I can however help you when it comes to proper etiquette when living in bear country.
Keep your trash cans inside.
Keep your dog food inside.
Keep anything that would be of interest to a bear inside.
Call the proper authorities if you continue to have problems after you have tidied up your area.
Random shootings of bears will not win you any friends and can land you in a well deserved heap of trouble.
After rereading my post, I can see that you are probably thinking I'm some crazy transplant who's ill-at-ease with the local fauna. Thanks for the list of preventive measures. There is no way we can keep the trash inside and that is a big part of the problem.

If there is a shooting-it won't be random. This is a mother bear with two cubs. My wife and toddler get home at about the time the bears come around and that is my main concern. If we are all inside I am not shooting anything unless it tries to get in. The proper authorities are pretty much 9-5 and they actually have suggested ways for me to get tranquilizer darts so I don't have to kill it.

Beaverdam Road was not bear country until some developer started shaving the nearby mountain for vacation homes he can't sell. The small house we live in was built in the 50's when there was plenty of habitat and we are not the type of people the natives wax profane about. We also do not have a garage and our laundry machines are in a well-insulated and nearly soundproof out-building. So I think I am justifiably concerned, and I'm looking for a place to practice shooting.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
The bear was here first, and you moved into his territory. We don't need every bear sighting resulting is someone cutting loose with a shotgun.

I am also suspicious of "returning every night" that is not their style. Bears have a large territory, and will make the 'rounds' returning every 7 - 10 days to locations where people do foolish things like putting out tasty garbage, leaving dog food out, etc. I have co-existed with bears in my neighborhood for decades, and they are not a problem or a threat that the uninformed assume.

So you have to pick up some garbage from time to time, big deal, and often as not it might be raccoons that spread garbage all over your drive.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:54 PM

122 posts, read 456,771 times
Put your trash in your well insulated, nearly soundproof out building right next to your washer/dryer.
After a few short days of no trash to eat the bear and the cubs she is desparate to feed in preperation for the winter hibernation will stop coming to your house and your problem will be solved.
You are not apt to find assistance here.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The bear was here first, and you moved into his territory. We don't need every bear sighting resulting is someone cutting loose with a shotgun.

I am also suspicious of "returning every night" that is not their style. Bears have a large territory, and will make the 'rounds' returning every 7 - 10 days to locations where people do foolish things like putting out tasty garbage, leaving dog food out, etc. I have co-existed with bears in my neighborhood for decades, and they are not a problem or a threat that the uninformed assume.

So you have to pick up some garbage from time to time, big deal, and often as not it might be raccoons that spread garbage all over your drive.
When you are surrounded by homes that belong to people who put the trash out on Sunday night when they leave for wherever they spend the week-it is really beyond your control.

I saw your post about some apartment dweller taking out a wall after sighting a bear and I saw the other bear threads and I am not going to do anything like that. We did a google news search about black bears and followed all the links and I think I need to be prepared.

It is not raccoons. It is not dogs or coyotes. These bears are hemmed in by development and the fact that I see them so often tells me thay are hungry and stressed. It is bears and while this species is not aggressive as bears go, I am not losing a two year old boy to a rare case of black bear aggression.

Do you shoot, AshevilleNative? If so, where-and how is it?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 AM

11 posts, read 22,866 times
Not from your area(n.w.pa) but have vacationed in Ashville 2 times. We have bears stolling around also. So try alittle amonia or blaech on top of the can Once they get a wiff of it they change thier patterns.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 AM

76 posts, read 326,355 times
I just have to put my two cents in as well. There is no reason to shoot the bear. Are you going to carry the gun around with you all the time. Probably not. My guess is that the next time you see one you will go inside, the bear will eat your trash and you will not have to do anything. The only time a gun comes in handy is when you have it with you. When one comes around my house i'd go inside and get a camera and take a few pictures from the window. If you are thinking of shooting anything in a life and death situation you will need many hours on a range to insure you have the skill necessary to bring down a bear in one shot. Remember its a moving target too. A lot harder to hit. The last thing you need is a pissed off bear with a wound coming at you while you try to pump the next round in the chamber. The best thing to do would be to start a neighbothood plan to educate people on the proper ways to live with wildlife.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Best place I know for target practice is called "On Target (http://www.ncsection.org/OnTarget/ontarget.htm - broken link)." Its off Sweeten Creek about a mile south of I-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina