U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM

11 posts, read 17,194 times
Default Searching for new nest...

My friend & I are considering moving in about a year. We currently live in South Florida and have decided we are sick of the heat & furthermore are craving the snow. (It simply has never felt Christmasy living in Florida.) We have been thinking about North Carolina near the mountains. We are hoping to find a city with year round cool weather (like 70's & lower). We would also like to see some snow, not so light that it is gone before it hits the ground, wanting actual snow coating the ground. Kind of wanting a smaller city, but not so small that we can't find jobs (or some single men for that matter, lol) Can anyone suggest some cities for me to look into that fits what we're looking for?

Thanks in advance!
Robin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM

5,658 posts, read 17,676,640 times
The only city I'm aware of with "year-round cool weather (like 70's & lower)" is the Boone area with normal daily high in July and August around 75 degrees. Boone is in the mountains, not foothills. Elevation is around 3,300 feet above sea level, hence the cooler summertime highs. If you get below 3,000 feet, expect warmer summers.

http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/i...ap/watauga.jpg

Last edited by mm34b; 12-07-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 PM

43,760 posts, read 53,328,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The only city I'm aware of with "year-round cool weather (like 70's & lower)" is the Boone area with normal daily high in July and August around 75 degrees.

http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/i...ap/watauga.jpg
Yep - that requirement sure makes it easy - Boone would be about it With the college there, there would also be a chance for meeting lots of men!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM

OK, so Boone has the year round weather that I desire. I was hoping more for the foothills than way up in the mountains. Are there any cities in the foothills that come close & also get more than a drizzle of snow? Sorry, I know I'm pushing it.

btw, I've been looking around the site and am truly loving the pictures. My heart just melts when I see snow pics...

Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM

43,760 posts, read 53,328,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin74 View Post
OK, so Boone has the year round weather that I desire. I was hoping more for the foothills than way up in the mountains. Are there any cities in the foothills that come close & also get more than a drizzle of snow? Sorry, I know I'm pushing it.

btw, I've been looking around the site and am truly loving the pictures. My heart just melts when I see snow pics...
Nope. Sorry. But really Boone is not WAY up in the mountains. Remember, the mountains here aren't like the Rockies or Grand Tetons, lol. At the most our elevations are around 6000 feet, with most between 3000 and 4000

Old 12-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Default Altitude

Quote:
OK, so Boone has the year round weather that I desire. I was hoping more for the foothills than way up in the mountains. Are there any cities in the foothills that come close & also get more than a drizzle of snow?
Not in my opinion, but here's some foothill towns in general:

Columbus - EL. 1,100
Rutherford - EL. 1,075
Morganton - EL. 1,100
Marion - EL 1,395
Lenoir - EL. 1,182
Wilkesboro - EL. 1,047

If you want normal summertime highs in the 70's, think elevations above 3,000 feet. I'm at 2,200 feet and the normal summertime daily highs are in the low to mid 80's.

"Actually, the temperature drop with height (called lapse rate by meteorologists) is 3.57 degrees Fahrenheit per 1000 feet".

David R. Cook
Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Last edited by mm34b; 12-07-2008 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 PM

535 posts, read 1,082,066 times
Quote:
OK, so Boone has the year round weather that I desire. I was hoping more for the foothills than way up in the mountains. Are there any cities in the foothills that come close & also get more than a drizzle of snow?
Snow is funny up here. Sometimes Asheville will get it and the areas north will get nothing. Last year Hendersonville had a fairly heavy snow one day yet it was nice in Asheville, sunny even. A few years go they got hammered on the other side of the mountains - ice/sleet in Old Fort, ice in the Triad, snow in Raleigh. Asheville and the area? Sunny. Or it will be snowing in the Nat Gorge but will be sunny before and after.

Boone might be a better option and even then it's not guaranteed. The farther reaches of Madison County might even be better but you'll be out in the sticks.

A friend of mine is a realtor and said that it's funny how everyone wants to live at elevation and be surrounded by snow until they have to drive in it then it's no longer fun and they want to move. I can show you 3 houses where the occupants made it a single winter before bailing.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 AM

9,986 posts, read 15,834,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Snow is funny up here. Sometimes Asheville will get it and the areas north will get nothing. Last year Hendersonville had a fairly heavy snow one day yet it was nice in Asheville, sunny even. A few years go they got hammered on the other side of the mountains - ice/sleet in Old Fort, ice in the Triad, snow in Raleigh. Asheville and the area? Sunny. Or it will be snowing in the Nat Gorge but will be sunny before and after.

Boone might be a better option and even then it's not guaranteed. The farther reaches of Madison County might even be better but you'll be out in the sticks.

A friend of mine is a realtor and said that it's funny how everyone wants to live at elevation and be surrounded by snow until they have to drive in it then it's no longer fun and they want to move. I can show you 3 houses where the occupants made it a single winter before bailing.
I think a lot of times the "idea" of something is better than the reality. The idea of snow seems romantic, especially to people who live in warm, snow-free states; but the reality is as you say - having to drive in it, or the ice storms that the area occasionally gets make it not so fun. We only spent vacations up in Asheville, but even those slopes could get mighty slippery, didn't like driving in that weather at all.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 AM

To check the historical climate for many areas of the state:

Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM

You could be very right about the idea/reality thing. I don't know that there is any way for me to find out then to try it though. I figure the best thing I could do is try to be informed. I have lived in snow (Indiana) when I was little, but I have never driven in it which does worry me. Not really sure that there is anything I can do to prepare for that.

castufari - I really don't want to be out in the sticks. lol

Does anyone know how the job market is in Boone? Horrible like everywhere else??? I'm a bookkeeper at a construction company currently. Jobs are hard to come by here, but I have heard that some places haven't really felt the effects of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina