Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times

Advertisements

City council has continually been told about "predatory towing" in downtown, but the seem unable or unwilling to do anything about, beyond some lip service.

A week or so ago, they towed the wrong woman, and she has been on a rampage about illegal predatory towing after being towed when she had paid the parking fee and was towed anyway. It cost her $185.00 to get her car back.

Apparently she got the ear of someone at APD, and they set up a sting, and All Safe towing was caught effectively stealing and holding legally parked cars for ransom. 2 men charged with illegally towing car downtown | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

If you have ever spent 5 minutes downtown the odds are you have seen an "All Safe" wrecker prowling the streets looking for a victim. Two cars towed in less than 90 minutes, and I speculate that perhaps a in excess of 1,000 cars have been towed illegally in the past year.

Will council revoke All Safe's right to prowl downtown streets, revoke business licenses, or take any action against the company. I really doubt it, it will just be blamed on bad employees, and the wreckers are prowling the streets right now.

Any wagers that out of state plates are preferred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Update:
On the evening news, WLOS interviewed the owner of the wrecker company. He stated he had warned his drivers that there was a likely hood of a sting, apparently due to all the bad press generated over the woman mentioned earlier complaining long and loud over the tactics of the predator towing.

How rampant is this practice, as even after the warning they illegally towed cars?

The owner also stated that he had dismissed one of the men, but that it was not related to this incident, and that his wreckers would continue to prowl the streets of Asheville.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,736,883 times
All Safe has been pulling this crap for years. Weren't they nailed in the past, too?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 PM

11 O'clock news tonight, WLOS quoted the owner of the towing company as saying "why did the police set up a sting? we provide a service"

Heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooo

Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 AM

Illegal towing isn't a service. First Sunny's used to do this, but All Safe takes the cake. Glad someone finally complained enough for someone to look into it.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM

76 posts, read 325,440 times
I want to know why the owner felt the need to warn his drivers that a sting was possible. This to me says he was fully aware that his drivers were towing/stealing cars. I've managed people for years and this just doesn't make sense.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaz View Post
I want to know why the owner felt the need to warn his drivers that a sting was possible. This to me says he was fully aware that his drivers were towing/stealing cars. I've managed people for years and this just doesn't make sense.

Ya think

This made the front page of today's paper, but I fear that it will quickly disappear from public view, and the towing will continue unabated.

2 charged with illegal towing | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Quote:
In the police sting, officers parked a vehicle at 10:30 p.m. Saturday at 93 N. Lexington Ave. and put $3 in a collection box after recording the serial number of each bill.

Then they watched as employees from All-Safe Towing and Recovery towed four cars before taking the decoy vehicle at 11:51 p.m., police Capt. Tim Splain said.
Sounds like they were towing the most convenient car just as fast as they could, having the 5th car on the hook in less just over an hour. 4 cars per hour at $150 per is a pretty good racket.

Quote:
All-Safe manager Danny Jones said he did not know why his workers towed the decoy vehicle.
NASA, we have your missing rocket scientist, he running a wrecker business in Asheville

Old 12-23-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
NASA, we have your missing rocket scientist, he running a wrecker business in Asheville
*spews coffee out of nose*

I don't care who you are, that is flat out funny.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 AM

76 posts, read 325,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
*spews coffee out of nose*
They say Asheville has large ratio of PHDs and graduate level citizens but no jobs to support what they want to do. Maybe these guys are rocket scientist and have large education loans to pay off.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Slaz: You mean a PhD is overqualified to wait tables?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina