U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM

5,661 posts, read 23,333,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
Is there a fault line in the area where the earthquakes have been felt? And is that the only part of NC that gets earthquakes?

I don't know why earthquakes scare me. I'm not afraid of fire ants, thunderstorms, nearby prisons or tornadoes (do you guys get any of those?).

I guess I'm a little bit afraid of a fellow armed with a machete and hurricanes!
This is a map of earthquake epicenters recorded in North Carolina and portions of adjacent states between 1698 and 1997. Major geologic provinces and known major faults exposed at the surface are shown for North Carolina. Faults identified to date in North Carolina are ancient and inactive. The lack of correspondence between the locations of earthquake epicenters and these faults indicates they are not responsible for earthquakes in North Carolina within historical times. The faults beneath the surface that generate earthquakes have yet to be positively identified.

Data from the North Carolina Geological Survey, Division of Land Resources

Last edited by mm34b; 06-16-2006 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,716,095 times
There is only one red dot on that map, I like it that way! Those are no fun.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:22 AM

22 posts, read 62,201 times
Wages??? backtofla.....are wages really a problem? do I need to start collecting my SS before we head to Charlotte? Hmmm...this could be an issue....after all, we need to keep the dog biscuits ready for the pooch...Lady as we call her thinks she rules us!

Old 06-17-2006, 04:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,198,377 times
wages arent too good, no. but what state in the south does pay really well???

Old 06-17-2006, 04:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,134,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
Things to be scared of in NC that we've discussed this week:

1) Hurricanes
2) Fire ants
3) Thunderstorms
4) Earthquakes
5) Nearby prisons
7) Freaky people in Asheville
8) Extras from "Deliverance" around Asheville

Have I left out something?
Don't forget nuclear power plants, roaches, NASCAR and tornadoes.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:01 PM

312 posts, read 1,632,555 times
It's strange you mentioned it here because I went through 100% of these events:

1. Hurricanes - yep, I lives in FL for 15 years. House flooded/roof collasped.
2. Fireant - bitten many time - painful, but lasted few days.
3. Tornadoes - Lived in PA, it passed over my house while I'm in basement with two screaming cats clawing at me.
4. Earthquake - Was in Northridge, CA for my best friend's wedding. Feet got cut, thanks to broken windows.
5. Prison - 10 miles from my home, never sit outside when news announced prisoner escaped.
6. Nuclear - Lived in PA, Three Miles Island nuclear meltdown when I was young. We escaped our house.
7. Roaches - no big deal - just too nasty to look at and hear 'crunchy" sound if you kill it with your shoe
8. NASCAR - my home is 5 miles to Daytona 500. Got used to tourist and traffic.

Which one do I think it's a worst experience and frightening for me to remember it for the rest of my life? It's #6.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,510 times
I have only been here about a week and I live in a Hookerton, NC, Greene County. I am a friend of Bethany's. We had a choice between a new prison and a toxic waste site. We took the prison. Does that worry you like it did me? I have lived all over the country, Arizona, Michigan, Virginia, to name a few places. I was born in Columbia North Carolina and came back here in 1991. I don't think I was here at the time it happened but they did have a prisoner escape once and he broke into a house in Maury right down the road from the prison. The woman he broke in on had a heart attack and died. This was around the mid 80's maybe. I remember my father talking about it.

Last edited by Teriroc; 06-17-2006 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 28,532 times
Default Western NC Earthquakes

Believe it or not, there has been a network of seismometers in East TN and W. NC for the last 20+ years to monitor earthquake activity. Since the mid 90's an East Tennessee Seismic Hazard Zone (ETSHZ) has been determined by the seismology community. Western NC gets quakes from this ETSHZ, in years past the quakes were more spread out, but now seem to be concentrating in E. TN, but NC still gets them. You can go to Center for Earthquake Research and Information for more info and to even look at seismograms from the area.

W. NC (roughly west of I-77) has been designated as having a seismic hazard of level 2 (moderate risk), the rest of the state is at level 1 (slight risk). Earthquakes can and have occurred throughout the rest of the state, (especially around Winston-Salem), but at this time there appears to be little risk of damaging or life-threatening earthquakes.

I know all this boring stuff because I am the technician responsible for the seismic network in W. NC. I hope it was of interest to some of you.

Thanks,
John

Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,849,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
It's strange you mentioned it here because I went through 100% of these events:

1. Hurricanes - yep, I lives in FL for 15 years. House flooded/roof collasped.
2. Fireant - bitten many time - painful, but lasted few days.
3. Tornadoes - Lived in PA, it passed over my house while I'm in basement with two screaming cats clawing at me.
4. Earthquake - Was in Northridge, CA for my best friend's wedding. Feet got cut, thanks to broken windows.
5. Prison - 10 miles from my home, never sit outside when news announced prisoner escaped.
6. Nuclear - Lived in PA, Three Miles Island nuclear meltdown when I was young. We escaped our house.
7. Roaches - no big deal - just too nasty to look at and hear 'crunchy" sound if you kill it with your shoe
8. NASCAR - my home is 5 miles to Daytona 500. Got used to tourist and traffic.

Which one do I think it's a worst experience and frightening for me to remember it for the rest of my life? It's #6.
I can add: "Volcano" to that list.

1980: Lived within 25 miles of Mt. St. Helens

Also: "Blizzard"

1978: "Blizzard of '78" in Boston MA

Earthquake:

1989: Loma Prieta Earthquake in Northern CA

Have also been through tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes and prisons (lived near Charlie Manson for a few years) but thankfully no fire ants or roaches.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:42 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,580,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Things to be scared of in NC that we've discussed this week:

1) Hurricanes
2) Fire ants
3) Thunderstorms
4) Earthquakes
5) Nearby prisons
7) Freaky people in Asheville
8) Extras from "Deliverance" around Asheville

Have I left out something?
I would add lightning. NC has the second highest death rate due to lightning strike in the country. FL has the highest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina