U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,771,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Weed should be the least worry a city should have. At least it isn't crack or Meth.
Where there is smoke - there is fire.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,438 times
Default crime

I am a non hash smoking mother that lives south of Asheville. Naturally I am concern about crime and schools. I have been very pleased with Avery's creek school. I would never send my kids to any inner city school. Asheville has crime unfortuallly like everywhere. The crime seems to mainly be drug related that stays in the drug circle. Also common sense safety like don't walk alone to your car at night if you are a woman, and if you have to, walk like your angry or be on your cellphone. The people: in Asheville there are alot of hippies and a large gay population. Outside of Asheville everyone seems to be Baptise. On weekends towntown is full ranging from young hippies- college students to couples in their 60's. There is also a large middle aged metaphysical group. Overall I love Asheville but if anyone finds a crime free city, let me know!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 AM

886 posts, read 2,167,691 times
Coming from someone who lived in North Carolina a good while, Asheville is a lovely little city. Biltmore Estates is there and The Grove Park Inn which is a renowned hotel and resort. Tons of people vacation there and the town is charming Hendersonville is just south and I love the downtown of it. It is maybe 10 or 15 minutes away. I have never heard anything bad about Asheville, people are moving there and it's raising the prices of everything. It is a much more liberal town that the rest of North Carolina. If you want more information go to the Western NC board where they would looooooove to help you.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Asheville View Post
I am a non hash smoking mother that lives south of Asheville. Naturally I am concern about crime and schools. I have been very pleased with Avery's creek school. I would never send my kids to any inner city school. Asheville has crime unfortuallly like everywhere. The crime seems to mainly be drug related that stays in the drug circle. Also common sense safety like don't walk alone to your car at night if you are a woman, and if you have to, walk like your angry or be on your cellphone. The people: in Asheville there are alot of hippies and a large gay population. Outside of Asheville everyone seems to be Baptise. On weekends towntown is full ranging from young hippies- college students to couples in their 60's. There is also a large middle aged metaphysical group. Overall I love Asheville but if anyone finds a crime free city, let me know!
I guess their school problems would be just like CT city schools then.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM

2,326 posts, read 5,987,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbster View Post
Hi
I would love to get any info on experiences in Asheville. We live in CT now, am considering relocating. I'm worried about schools, crime--but I hear it's beautiful. Would appreciate any input. I've really enjoyed reading this forum.
Thanks
I've been a few times, but not since around 2000. The area there is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The mountains surrounding Asheville are lush, around 4-5,000 feet high, and Asheville is perhaps the most "liberal" city in North Carolina. There is a large "hippie, liberal, gay, and more northeast" vibe to the city. The city has around 65-70,000 people and has a dense little downtown. It IS still the south though--so venturing far into the "suburbs/countryside" can have mixed results. The rebel flag can still fly not too far away.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I've been a few times, but not since around 2000. The area there is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The mountains surrounding Asheville are lush, around 4-5,000 feet high, and Asheville is perhaps the most "liberal" city in North Carolina. There is a large "hippie, liberal, gay, and more northeast" vibe to the city. The city has around 65-70,000 people and has a dense little downtown. It IS still the south though--so venturing far into the "suburbs/countryside" can have mixed results. The rebel flag can still fly not too far away.
Well I live in CT and I have seen those flags on trucks here too.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 PM

11,893 posts, read 12,339,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Well I live in CT and I have seen those flags on trucks here too.
There's a difference between throwing it on the front of a pickup truck to make a "I live in the boonies" statement, than hanging it higher than the American flag. JMHO

Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 AM

[quote=kidyankee764;4235398]There's a difference between throwing it on the front of a pickup truck to make a "I live in the boonies" statement, than hanging it higher than the American flag. JMHO[/QUO

In all my years in the south I only saw the flag in a handful of yards. Don't believe everything you hearI

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM

11,893 posts, read 12,339,755 times
[quote=Cruikshl;4235989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There's a difference between throwing it on the front of a pickup truck to make a "I live in the boonies" statement, than hanging it higher than the American flag. JMHO[/QUO

In all my years in the south I only saw the flag in a handful of yards. Don't believe everything you hearI
I have seen it many times in my trips to VA and SC. Instead of displaying the American flag on a flagpole, it's the confederate. Driving along 95 on the way to FL you can see the flag lining the highway, especially in GA and SC. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM

[quote=kidyankee764;4238576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post

I have seen it many times in my trips to VA and SC. Instead of displaying the American flag on a flagpole, it's the confederate. Driving along 95 on the way to FL you can see the flag lining the highway, especially in GA and SC. I guess we can agree to disagree.
Keep in mind alot of state flags in the south look similar to the Confederate one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina