U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

I am from the United kingdom and moved to america because I got married. I first lived in a small town in kentucky, and wasn't happy living there so me and my husband came to live in asheville.
It's a very pretty town and looks even nicer with all the mountins around. I have been to really good resturants and cafe's, like Don papas (that mexican resturant) and I also really like going to sunny point cafe has got really good food. I live around shops, bars and cafes so it's all good. However even through there are tourests and people moving here from other states I still feel I don't "fit in" I guess it doesn't help I've moved 15 times in my life. I have met some people and ended up hanging out a few times, but then nothing comes off it. I get the feeling it's very hard getting close to people unless you are going to school or going to work and you know them for a long time. The thing is I have been looking for work for the longest time, and I have not found work. Anyway my husband goes to school and he's meeting people, but i have nothing to do in my day so I sit in front of the computer. I have gone out my way to go out and meet people but like I say nothing comes off it. Anyway It would be great to meet someone else from the UK or anyway that wants to hang out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM

113 posts, read 440,697 times
I liked Asheville but I didn't find it to be as great as I had heard. Greenville SC. I found to be much nicer. Absolutely gorgeous downtown.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 AM

109 posts, read 348,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbster View Post
Hi
I would love to get any info on experiences in Asheville. We live in CT now, am considering relocating. I'm worried about schools, crime--but I hear it's beautiful. Would appreciate any input. I've really enjoyed reading this forum.
Thanks
We loved Asheville when we vacationed there; however, we are an alternative living family so it felt right for us. The geography surrounding Asheville is gorgeous. Once outside of Asheville, the poverty in rural western NC and TN was disturbing. Our impressions were the same with the Boone area. Boone is small and there isn't much close to it.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 AM

756 posts, read 1,851,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzey16 View Post
I am from the United kingdom and moved to america because I got married. I first lived in a small town in kentucky, and wasn't happy living there so me and my husband came to live in asheville.
It's a very pretty town and looks even nicer with all the mountins around. I have been to really good resturants and cafe's, like Don papas (that mexican resturant) and I also really like going to sunny point cafe has got really good food. I live around shops, bars and cafes so it's all good. However even through there are tourests and people moving here from other states I still feel I don't "fit in" I guess it doesn't help I've moved 15 times in my life. I have met some people and ended up hanging out a few times, but then nothing comes off it. I get the feeling it's very hard getting close to people unless you are going to school or going to work and you know them for a long time. The thing is I have been looking for work for the longest time, and I have not found work. Anyway my husband goes to school and he's meeting people, but i have nothing to do in my day so I sit in front of the computer. I have gone out my way to go out and meet people but like I say nothing comes off it. Anyway It would be great to meet someone else from the UK or anyway that wants to hang out
You should really post this in the North Carolina forum.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbster View Post
Hi
I would love to get any info on experiences in Asheville. We live in CT now, am considering relocating. I'm worried about schools, crime--but I hear it's beautiful. Would appreciate any input. I've really enjoyed reading this forum.
Thanks
Asheville is beautiful and what we call artsy farsty! Quirky and neat with a safe and old fashioned but also new age feel. Somewhere to definately visit. Kim

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM

21,935 posts, read 36,129,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
You should really post this in the North Carolina forum.
Yes, this discussion belongs on the North Carolina board. Evne though it is an old thread, I will move it. Jay

Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 AM

191 posts, read 533,759 times
Ok thats it...................Now I am coming. Watch out!!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM

73 posts, read 133,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I've been a few times, but not since around 2000. The area there is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The mountains surrounding Asheville are lush, around 4-5,000 feet high, and Asheville is perhaps the most "liberal" city in North Carolina. There is a large "hippie, liberal, gay, and more northeast" vibe to the city. The city has around 65-70,000 people and has a dense little downtown. It IS still the south though--so venturing far into the "suburbs/countryside" can have mixed results. The rebel flag can still fly not too far away.
Why do i get the feeling that your glorifing the hippe liberal northeast-like inner city of asheville while putting down the rebel flag waving countryside and suburban outskirsts of asheville?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,892,897 times
I think this wins the prize for "worst thread ever". It's funny too, I lived in New England for years, and I never got the vibe that everyone hated the South. Even when I didn't tell people I was from the South, I never heard all the trash talking these people are doing come up in everyday conversation. Unbelievable. I love the one post where the guy said something like "Oh it's OK, certainly nothing like New England". Very informative. I love New England (well, everything north of CT and RI), and I still couldn't get over the arrogance of that comment.

Anyway, yeah Asheville sucks. Stay in CT, please. God knows, if you lived here, you wouldn't have any friends to talk trash about the South with. Oh, and your mountains in CT are sooo much nicer than ours.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM

132 posts, read 444,876 times
Everyone thinks small towns in the northeastern USA are so liberal, but I have look at statistics and actually the greatest concentration of liberalism in the northeast is contained within the urban metro areas, that have a different racial distribution as well. Usually minorities tend to vote democratically, although they aren't classified as artsy or religiously liberal as you would see in these small hippy towns. For example, they did a survey of New York State, known as the liberal haven of the world. Well, actually in respect to the area, the state of New York is very red, more conservative then many places even in the South. The reason it goes blue every year, is because all the liberals in NYC outnumber the population in the rest of the state.

What I am trying to say is, just because something is "Northeast" doesn't make it liberal. And, for all you who don't know, the state of Vermont has much better gun laws then many of the so-called pro-gun southern states. The Live Free or Die state (New Hampshire) also seems to keep up some of its virtue compared to a few Southern states, in this regard.

I would love to go see Asheville and the mountains. I love living near hippies/yuppies because of the health food stores. I am a health-nut. But, I am conservative in every other way. So, I love leaving the hippy cities after I do my shopping. I am considering Greenville, SC.. It seems to be a more conservative, down-to-earth (yes, hippies are far out, remember?) and cosmopolitan town. It is only an hour from Asheville, so I think I can take advantage of all Asheville has to offer without living there and the avoiding the high prices.

BTW.. This is coming from a guy from Oregon.. You want liberal, high taxes, hippies, unbathed dread-lock people at the park asking if you want to smoke weed, well, please come over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina