U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 837 times

Advertisements

Asheville is a wonderfully diverse and accepting city... if you love the outdoors then this is the place for you to live. Some of the best Whitewater Kayaking and Climbing can be found only minutes from this city. Yes there is some crime and drugs, just like any other city. It is just smaller than other cities so its easier to find. I would suggest visiting the city and driving around the many different areas of the city (all of which kind of have their own culture... West Asheville is more of the so called "hippie" area, North and East Asheville is more family oriented, and South Asheville can be very "rich" in some places and "poor" in others)... overall, in my opinion, Asheville is a wonderful accepting, culture rich, city with much to offer anyone who is willing to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM

178 posts, read 418,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I think this wins the prize for "worst thread ever". It's funny too, I lived in New England for years, and I never got the vibe that everyone hated the South. Even when I didn't tell people I was from the South, I never heard all the trash talking these people are doing come up in everyday conversation. Unbelievable. I love the one post where the guy said something like "Oh it's OK, certainly nothing like New England". Very informative. I love New England (well, everything north of CT and RI), and I still couldn't get over the arrogance of that comment..
I have to quote this bc it's true, I have never heard of anyone bashing the South from the North. In fact, I didn't even know that was still going on with the South hating Northerners until we started looking into moving South. I am so confused! Most Northerners just love the South and the North and the whole USA in general.

But I have never heard a Northerner say "just stay in the South then!" like prior comments I have read on here, it really throws me off. If you want to come up here, you are more than welcome! No one cares where you are from.

And about the flag thing, since this whole tread is so off topic, the confederate flag is everywhere, not just in the South. I know people in Northern New England who are very racist, mostly due to the fact they have never met any other races! All they think of is gangs and guns and fear. My whole entire town had only 3 minority families. I only know 1 person who is black. I am saying someone who I have actually had a conversation with and seen on more than one occasion. So the flag thing is not only in the South, I have seen it in every state in NE, on the back of trucks, on license plates, I have seen whole cars up here painted like the Dukes of Hazard's Charger. I am not racist, but it's still everywhere. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina