Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

72 posts, read 256,812 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions for a ski resort nearby to take my 3.5 year old son. I don't need long runs or a lot of variety -- we'll be on an easy run for 2-3 hours and call it a day.

We could probably even get by never leaving the "bunny slope" training area -- do nearby resorts have such a thing? I'm not talking about simply the easiest green run in the midst of all of the others in the resort. Resorts in CO often have a separate dedicated "bunny slope" area off to the side that does not require lift tickets. It is a very short flat green run, the primary purpose of which is to allow newbies to gain some experience on the lifts. When introducing my son to skiing last winter, I found this was quite sufficent, and seldom had anyone in the lift lines.

Anything like that within a few hours drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
Go to Wintergreen, VA. It's about 3 hrs away. Their bunny slope is ok, and easy to build upon. They have an ok beginner school there. Way better than Winterplace in WV (which actually has better snow conditions and longer runs, but is also about a 3 hr drive from here). Snowshoe is great, but probably too far--6 hrs or so. I don't like the ski conditions in NC--too icy. It's a matter of the way the sun shines and the wind blows...makes for bad conditions. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for a ski resort nearby to take my 3.5 year old son. I don't need long runs or a lot of variety -- we'll be on an easy run for 2-3 hours and call it a day.

We could probably even get by never leaving the "bunny slope" training area -- do nearby resorts have such a thing? I'm not talking about simply the easiest green run in the midst of all of the others in the resort. Resorts in CO often have a separate dedicated "bunny slope" area off to the side that does not require lift tickets. It is a very short flat green run, the primary purpose of which is to allow newbies to gain some experience on the lifts. When introducing my son to skiing last winter, I found this was quite sufficent, and seldom had anyone in the lift lines.

Anything like that within a few hours drive?
For a 3.5 year old, it probably doesn't matter where you go. Wintergreen is a good choice, but the NC mountains (Beech, Sugar, etc.) aren't that far behind in their ski conditions, either. I know Wintergreen has a magic carpet, and imagine the others do as well.

You probably already know this, but just go in with no expectation other than having fun and doing whatever your son wants to do - even if that means making snow angels and throwing snowballs rather than skiing. At this age, the most important thing is to let him have fun and develop a love of being around the snow. I know that with my son (will be 4 in less than 1 month), I am happy to get 1-2 hours skiing with him in a single day. Sometimes more, sometimes way less.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Go to Appalachian Ski Mtn. the slopes are great for new skiiers but horrible if your experienced they are all like bunny slopes

Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Snowshoe WV is my favorite SE ski resort. Certainly more than you need for a 3 year old, but if you're looking to get some skiing in on your own, it's got a lot to offer. It is 6 hours away, though. They do have a "bunny hill" with it's own short ski lift and a "magic carpet" used in lessons. They offer a lot of group lessons for kids and adults. When the slopes close, they have a "Big Top" arcade with lots of activities to keep the kiddies occupied.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 12,028 times
The closest and best place is Appalachian Snow Mountain between Boone and Blowing Rock, NC. 3 hours and 4+lanes all the way. Appalachian is a VERY family oriented spot that does not get as crowded as Sugar or Beech. I highly recommend it for beginners.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM

170 posts, read 1,014,645 times
Wintergreen has a kids lesson package: 4hrs lesson includes lunch, hot chocolate, day lift ticket and rental for $95. Then parents can ski the morning w/o kids in tow. Lift tix ~$45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina