Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 PM

6 posts, read 35,016 times

Advertisements

I have tried to read as many posts as I could about Asheville. All I can say is you take a nice little town like Asheville, it ends up on SOMEONE'S ten best list and the local real estate industry smells BUCKS. Talk about naive and smug. Like a million other towns haven't been on these lists. I remember when Santa Fe was a REAL town 25 years ago. Bet 3/4's of Asheville's agents were never there then. Or try Ashland or Bend Oregon NOW.

Try this. A local contractor puts a house up in Oct for $319,000, but in February - AFTER NO OTHER OFFERS - he's willing to sell for $270,000. Now do you think he was a little greedy? Do you think the realtor who encouraged his initial pricing was a little greedy? Do you suspect MAYBE the real estate folks KNOW the hype about their town ain't so solid?

ALSO BEWARE. Radon in Buncombe county is 35%, Hendersonville 45% The STANDARD NC contract BINDS a seller to a contract REQUIRING the buyer to "allow" the seller to "mitigate". Hey if you were a contractor would you test for radon precontract? You've got the seller entrapped high or low. NOW THINK. Do YOU feel PERFECTLY COMFORTABLE if your radon testing comes back 15? You better - because you're caught. You're sitting on a radon crevice with that blower working for you, when you couldof had a house that wasn't sitting on a crevice in the first place. The real estate industry takes workshops in MITIGATION; how else could they sell these houses?

To Asheville itself. Who knows? I'm a native North Carolinian. I lived in NYC for 12 years. My friends are all gay, black, buddists, artists. Whatever. Most people I talked to in Asheville didn't even know there is a proposed power plant going in at Woodfin (5 miles from Asheville) or that the proposed DOT bridge, part of the I26 expansion, ruins a large swath of West Asheville. The air in Asheville is NOT clean. Yes, Southerns can be polite, but you better completely agree with their image of themselves. If you stay to yourself and just raise your family or run a health food store ar cash in by selling homeowners insurance, it will be fine. Really though, there are no industries. Like I said, it's a shame, Asheville used to be a nice town, but now it's the next BIG SELL. Art stores, restaurants, lawyers and real estate agents do not a real town make. There are some many wonderful people in Asheville, but you gotta wonder the ratio of real estate agents percapita in Asheville compared to say, Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 AM

474 posts, read 2,186,637 times
"There are some many wonderful people in Asheville, but you gotta wonder the ratio of real estate agents percapita in Asheville compared to say, Charlotte."

Very sorry to hear that you may have had a bad experience with an Asheville agent or agents. There are many many wonderful agents in the Asheville area, and you may be surprised to learn that they were here long before the influx of transplants and over-development even started. As for Charlotte, there is no comparison to Charlotte vs. Asheville. Charlotte is a big city, not near the mountains or even the foothills. The growth rate in Charlotte far surpasses anything going on in western NC.

Remember, radon is present everywhere; and can be more prevalent in rock ... this IS the mountains remember, you have to expect very different results from the topography.

Real estate agents do not take classes in mitigation. No idea where that came from. Real estate agents take continuing education classes to keep up with the issues going on in the business, laws are being tweaked all the time and new laws are introduced. Real estate agents take classes to protect the public, to keep abreast of the latest information. A good agent will give a buyer at least two or three names of home inspectors, radon inspectors, and so forth. By law, the agent cannot get involved in interpreting results of any tests or inspections outside their area of expertise. If any legal issues arise, or a buyer or seller don't understand the contract, they are strongly advised to contact an attorney for clarification.

There are, however, some folks who will not be satisfied with any Realtor, regardless of diligence, professionalism or time spent with the buyer or seller. They simply are prejudiced to salespeople in general -- and have no idea about the amount of hours and expertise that goes into finding that special home for a buyer (and not everyone buys remember) -- but even more important, how much time and work goes on behind the scenes in attending to every detail after the sale to ensure a smooth transaction in order to keep both buyer and seller happy.

Yes, there may be a disproportionate number of agents in any area at any given time. Those who think selling real estate and "love to look at houses" quickly disappear once the realities of the needs of the business set in.

Don't give up on agents, it's a very satisfying career for those who truly care about people, and are willing to go the extra mile for them.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,001 times
thank you hopsouth, because most of us Asheville natives don't want more people moving here anyways. I was furious to see us on AOL's list of best places to live. Asheville is a beautiful place, but within 15 years, it will be just another Charlotte or Atlanta, and none of us who have been born and raised in the area will be able to afford it.
please, those of you looking for homes in Asheville:
go away. don't move here.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,555,072 times
As I have said before,you cant move to a city and close the gate behind you.If YOU think its a beautiful wonderful place to live,the chances are excellent that alot of others will to

Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,533 times
apple annie,
i'm new. i see you're a senior member.

we live in orlando florida, and hate the humidity. we want to move to asheville, but the housing seems high. charlotte is humid and a big city, but the homes are significantly cheaper, which is approx. $250k for 2500 sq ft.

We can't seem to find a home for that price and footage in asheville, but want to stay near it and the mountains. do you know of a town that fits what we're looking for?

please help if you can. i'm going batty on the computer looking!

thanks so much!
tess

Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 16,813 times
Its a market. Just like everything else. People sell themselves for the sake of social status. In this case, they sell their land. Their heritage, culture... goes away along with it. Someone sells their home in an already raped city for 400,000. Mind you, its only about 1200sqft and you can smell your neighbors laundry. They get talked into moving into a "growing" area and buy the same living quaters for only 150,000. The poeple who are the original owners bought it for 30,000 quite some time ago and every one is happy $$$$$$ it makes me sick. Make way for blinging SUVs and cell phone accidents over a conversation about some reality show they saw the night before. City life is blinded by structures and overpopulation and trends. Leave the land alone or use it. Dont destroy it so someone can have so much money they dont know what to do with. Then they use it all and leave the tax payers to pay off their debt (bankrupt). We can all thank Trump for starting that trend. We need to focus as a society on things like, children... our future, where the human race is headed. Instead of wasting so much time in competition with our neighbor about the things we own. Or better said, the things that own us. YOU ARE NOT YOUR POSSESIONS. You are defined by your actions

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM

70 posts, read 218,796 times
Look in Fletcher....nice homes some new and great location. We have found a number of them already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessmae View Post
apple annie,
i'm new. i see you're a senior member.

we live in orlando florida, and hate the humidity. we want to move to asheville, but the housing seems high. charlotte is humid and a big city, but the homes are significantly cheaper, which is approx. $250k for 2500 sq ft.

We can't seem to find a home for that price and footage in asheville, but want to stay near it and the mountains. do you know of a town that fits what we're looking for?

please help if you can. i'm going batty on the computer looking!

thanks so much!
tess

Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,410 times
Default Huh?

You seem awfully touchy about things. Sure, there are greedy people out there. Sure, the joke around town is that every other bartender is an agent. Sure, we have radon here.

Greed is not an anomoly here. Go wherever you want and it thrives.

There are a lot of real estate agents here. I have been working in the field for 5 years. I work hard and am fair. There are also a lot of doctors, nurses, landscapers ect. Your point is what?

Radon. The federal government regulates the acceptable levels for a home. When a home has it in Asheville, we go about remediating the problem as they do everywhere else. Your point is inaccurate.

I guess you should move to Charlotte if everyone here is greedy, have homes with high levels of radon and have ruined it for folks like you.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM

177 posts, read 967,360 times
What's the whole point of the OP's post? Does this person live in Asheville and is not happy? Did they get a raw deal (their perspective) on a home price? Are they planning on moving to Asheville, or moving away?

Your point about your friends really has nothing to do with your post.

As far as the price difference of the home mentioned, $319k to $270k really isn't much of a difference than what any other realtor, or homeowner, would do to try and sell a home.

Just my $.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina