U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 951 times

Advertisements

I work in the healthcare field and have the chance to relocate down there from Maine. Can anyone tell me about the avg rent, schools and anything else you think will be helpful. I am able to live in the city or the country. The only problem I worry about is that I have raised my daughter not to judge people by their skin color and want to stay away from places that do. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM

44,764 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robba1 View Post
I work in the healthcare field and have the chance to relocate down there from Maine. Can anyone tell me about the avg rent, schools and anything else you think will be helpful. I am able to live in the city or the country. The only problem I worry about is that I have raised my daughter not to judge people by their skin color and want to stay away from places that do. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Do all people up in Maine really think all southerners judge people by their skin color? Sorry, we hear this from posters coming from the northeast a lot and the truth is, you probably see more racism up there than we do down here - though sadly, it does exist in many places, happily it happens less and less over time

Either area would offer good opportunities for someone like you in healthcare. However, Asheville can be more expensive to live in as it is a retirement and tourist type city. In the Winston Salem area I believe you can rent an apartment for between 600 and 700 a month.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,684,084 times
I lived in W-S for many years and have lived in Asheville too where I still maintain a place. I'd stay far away from Asheville.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,031,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robba1 View Post
I work in the healthcare field and have the chance to relocate down there from Maine.
Two very different places . . . WS is more of a suburban, white picket fence 2.2 kids, and SUV kind of place. Asheville is more "eclectic" -- it tends to attract your artists, outdoor enthusiasts, environmentalists, and such. Asheville has far more natural beauty imo while WS is more "middle America". Personally, I think Asheville is far more interesting (and more expensive), but to each his own.

Obviously these are just generalizations.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,031,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, we hear this from posters coming from the northeast a lot and the truth is, you probably see more racism up there than we do down here
Absolutely, it's definitely not a North/South thing. There is no shortage of "northern rednecks", to be sure. You'll find more racist types in small towns in Michigan or NY than you will in Raleigh or Winston or Asheville, where people are generally highly educated and forward thinking.

People watch too much tv.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM

535 posts, read 1,116,475 times
Where is your job going to be? That should weigh heavily on where you're going to live, it's a good 2 hours between Asheville and Winston.

The skin colored thing, well, I've seen more of that in SC than in NC, more of it it in SE VA than here BUT it's not a community issue, it's a people issue. I lived in a little area in SE VA and the folks next to us were the biggest bigots I've ever met - yet they were the most devout people I've ever met - that was strange. In Asheville, meh, not so bad as it's a mixed city though there is some racism - probably more closet than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina