Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 PM

108 posts, read 272,432 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking around Blairsville, Young Harris, Hiawassee areas for property to relocate. We have also been into NC around the Murphy area and Fires Creek around Hayesville. Being around the borders of both states would there be any advantage to living in one state or the other? as far as taxes go, cost of utilities, car inspections, etc? Can you give me some opinions, pros and cons of each state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
In 2008, the Tax Foundation ranked NC's state and local tax burden 20th highest in the nation. Georgia was ranked 16th. You're not that far from the mountainous areas of Tennessee (44th) and South Carolina (37th) too.

NC has an annual motor vehicle inspection. Some counties have safety only, while others have safety and emissions.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 AM

23 posts, read 135,677 times
I live in Clay County, near Hayesville, NC, right on the border to Towns County, GA. We have almost 10 acres (that we are selling) with just $300 annual taxes. So I don't think taxes are bad in Clay County at all.

Where you want to live, in the areas you mentioned depend on a couple things. How much privacy do you want and how close to amenities you want to be? Where we are is a ways out but not so far that it's annoying. LOL

It is beautiful here and I think the prices of property are cheaper here than in Hiawassee. We are about 20 minutes from the Georgia Mountain Fair area of Hiawassee so we are close!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
You may want to consider how close good medical care is to the place you buy. I was told by a medic that in cases of stroke or heart attack you have one hour before permanent damage comes. Considering it takes a few minutes for help to arrive, I would not want to be more than 1/2 hour from a huge hospital.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 59,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You may want to consider how close good medical care is to the place you buy. I was told by a medic that in cases of stroke or heart attack you have one hour before permanent damage comes. Considering it takes a few minutes for help to arrive, I would not want to be more than 1/2 hour from a huge hospital.
That's what the helicopters are for. I watched one land in a field across the river last year. They made it happen quick. This is just another reason city folks live in the city.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 AM

177 posts, read 970,955 times
Don't feed the trolls.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
My pick would be Georgia. My BIL and SIL live there and love it. Great schools for the kids and a much friendlier place to live. Taxes also are lower as said before but housing is a bit more costly in Ga.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 PM

23 posts, read 135,677 times
I think we are very friendly in NC

Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 PM

208 posts, read 633,494 times
WNC is closer to the shopping in Asheville, healthcare, jobs, etc. I consider Northern GA to be more remote, with the exception of Rome maybe.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM

108 posts, read 272,432 times
Default Wooo Hoooo

Finally my wife and I just got back from hayesville, spending some time in the area over the 4th. Visiting the John C Campbel folk school, watching the fireworks from chatuge dam was beautiful, we kayaked around the lake for a bit. We just closed on our new property in the fires creek area....we bought 8.46 acres with some spectacular views. I CANT WAIT to sell my house in Michigan and move, everyone we've met have been friendly and helpful. Yahoooooooo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina