Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
GREAT COMEBACK. Clearly you have nothing intelligent to say...

And if you must know why I am here:

I moved here when I was 6 years old because my fathers job was transferred here. At the time, we had no choice but to move because it wasn't very easy for my dad to find another job. It was no job and stay or have a job and move. When you have a good job and a family and need to pay bills, your going to move. When the job market got better, we stayed here because, as I said before, my father has a good job and the effort it would take to move back wasn't worth it. I pretty much grew up here and I think my family has adapted very well. Nobody has ever said anything like what you have just said to us in the 18 years we have lived here. This is the United States of America. As much as you may want one, there are no walls or gates blocking people from entering or exiting any state. We are all human and we all live on the same planet. I suggest you get a grip and join the rest of us in the real world.
Great post!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:58 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Cause people from here are a rare find anymore, transplants have overwhelmed and ruined the area.
Wow, what an incredibly pretentious and generalized thing to say. You should be flattered to live in such a beautiful place. If it were not so beautiful, people would not be as eager to come there. And as people come, the economy will eventually improve vastly from where it is now. People moving into town and opening businesses, etc. is a great way to get the economy moving. I'm transplanting myself to Asheville shortly, and maybe I'll see you there. Have a good one!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Wow, what an incredibly pretentious and generalized thing to say. You should be flattered to live in such a beautiful place.
Then when you come, open your eyes and look. Look at Reynolds Mtn. in Woodfin, but visible for quite a distance. Think how beautiful that mountain would look without the scars of a greed driven development and McMansions stuck all over it. Think how clear the streams below might be if not clogged with the silt and sediment washing from that mountain because the mountain has been raped for the view of a few.

Or are you one that will build a McMansion on a mountain side and not care how it looks from the valley, but be selfish with the viewpoint that only YOUR view matters?

I cannot protect the beauty as I don't have the authority or the money, but that doesn't mean I'm not outraged. I am thankful that the economic woes of the country have certainly slowed the destruction of the beauty of the area though.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

33 posts, read 89,042 times
AN; it's not necessarily an either/or. Like it or not the houses are already built there now and people moving to Asheville that can afford it can purchase the view and shouldn't have to feel guilty for having that ability. They weren't the natives that complacently let the elected officials allow developers move in to destroy the view for the less affluent; they're just the people that can afford to choose to live where there is a more unspoiled view and hopefully after they move in can help work toward stopping even more of the area from being indiscriminantly developed.

Now is the time that you CAN protect the beauty because you do have a voice and you can be proactive in working toward getting the elected officials that allowed the destruction of the beauty of the area thus far out of office and replaced with people that will enact and enforce laws/regulations to protect the natural beauty before the economy recovers. Every person's vote counts the same during an election and no matter how much money they have developers aren't going to spend their resources where they have more hoops to jump through for the same money they could make in an area with less regulations. If you truly want to protect the beauty you can either run for an office that gives you the authority to enact change, or support someone that has similar ideals to your own; if the lack of money is what's holding you back get enough people together, or a national organization involved, so that the combined force/power is enough to make the politicians and developers worry about their own livelihoods if they don't take notice.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 10,786 times
ASHEVILLE IS THE HOMOSEXUAL CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH!!!!! HOW MORE PERVERTED CAN YOU GET THAN THAT????

Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM

33 posts, read 89,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa perdue View Post
ASHEVILLE IS THE HOMOSEXUAL CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH!!!!! HOW MORE PERVERTED CAN YOU GET THAN THAT????
Beastiality, incest, ... I could go on. At least homosexuality activity is between consenting adults and the information without judgement is available for "questioning" adolescents so they don't consider suicide as often as was the case in the past.

Last edited by NeoLvr; 08-30-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Quote:
Cause people from here are a rare find anymore, transplants have overwhelmed and ruined the area.
Wow, what an incredibly pretentious and generalized thing to say.
Not pretentious when it's true. Maybe if you lived somewhere that was then ruined by explosive levels of growth, people moving in, tearing down, and building shiny new cookie-cutter subdivisions where natural beauty or historical properties once stood, you'd see the OP's point better. And still they come, by the swarm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina