U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM

765 posts, read 1,464,263 times
Wait a minute here, am I reading this right? It took you 5 years to pick up fencing--Antonio Banderas learned it in a few weeks for his role in Zoro. Maybe you meant you were leaning how to build fences--welding ironwork etc. But 5 years? And why were you living in Asheville and driving 4 hours--were you going to school in Raleigh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahaven View Post
I devoted 99.9% of my money to Asheville area colleges, businesses, and studied classical fencing for 5 years. I am proficient with multiple weapons, and West Asheville scared the crap outta me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 AM

57 posts, read 97,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Wait a minute here, am I reading this right? It took you 5 years to pick up fencing--Antonio Banderas learned it in a few weeks for his role in Zoro. Maybe you meant you were leaning how to build fences--welding ironwork etc. But 5 years? And why were you living in Asheville and driving 4 hours--were you going to school in Raleigh?

No, it did not take me 5 years to learn how to fence.....I picked up the basics in a semester class, and continued to study it in depth for the remainder of my time in NC.As for Antonio Banderas, good lord, if you watch closely, Antonio does the same five triangle moves, as do the men he is fighting. Learning the hows, whys, and everything that goes with actual fencing, takes YEARS, not weeks. Certainly one can learn basics in a few weeks time, but did you know that most fencing schools do not let their students spar from 3 months up to a year after beginning lessons? A person begins slowly, learning stance, guards, offense/defense, etc. The maestro does not just hand you a sword, and yell, "kill, kill". I also spent time doing paper research on the different fighting styles. I was very passionate about fencing, and I didn't run into it willy nilly.

I do know a spot of welding though, and a bit of blacksmithing. Fun stuff, but heck on the muscles if you're not used to it.

I was attending school in Mars Hill, I lived in Virginia, and I was often in Asheville....so due to a mixture of various things, especially when I graduated and returned home for a time, I couldn't just pop into a complex at all hours of the day and night. I picked an apartment that was cheaper, and paid for it.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,836 times
To Asheville Native. You seem an angry man and probably for good reason. I too am sad to see what has happened to the lovely area where I have lived most of my life. I too am angry. We just can't stop massive building, growing population, corruption, tax hikes, traffic, crime, etc. We can attend city meetings, organize groups to protest and volunteer but ultimately we can't stop the destruction. We then have two choices: stay, live with it and decide to be happy, or, move and try again. We decided we'll move. Asheville sounded good until I read your angry statements and all the nasty, peevish replies from your fellow citizens.
So where is Shangri-la in the USA? We'll keep looking.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,700 times
So what IS the real story about moving to Asheville? In April, 2009? Clearly there's alot of difference of opinion with a lot of you folks ~ so many of these posts are so angry! (not that I'm saying that some of the anger isn't legitimate!) The post I could relate to the most was the person who said something like 'as soon as a good place gets "found", it's gets 'popularized', then that feeds on itself, and pretty soon whatever cool character that drew you to the place has totally changed, usually much more expensive, & as though it's "on steriods"! Places like Noe Valley in San Francisco, Brattleboro Vermont, Arcata and Santa Cruz in California, and Olympia Washington, just to name the few that I know about personally. But there's got to be plenty more just like those. And yeah, THEN the rents become outrageous, and you have to wonder who the f..... can afford to live here NOW? especially if you're low income already, or disabled. For myself I've wanted to move to Asheville since the first moment I visited ~ back in 1982! Obviously things have changed over the years, but there was an incredible feeling, an aura, that I'll never forget..... Has THAT what's been "mass commercialized"? (while meanwhile the urban type problems that all big cities have, just by their nature, just keep rolling along, because that's how this country operates right now, as it has for years.) So my question is, what would it be like for a single woman in her 50's without a car (but with great feet! LOL) (and a bicycle) to move to Asheville RIGHT NOW? (Employment aside ~ that's not part of the question). From the posts I've read, either natives are just angry in general, or angry and resentful of newcomers, but then it sounds like people are deciding to come to Asheville anyway. I'd love to hear from someone who just recently moved to the city to hear their experiences.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,833 times
I live in west asheville, for all my life 37 years and am buying the house I grew up in, yes haywood rd area has the "hippy" type but they have brought in new restaurants and shops and trying to bring it back to life the crime rate in this area is just as high if you live in the north, south, central,or even the east area, I have 2 in Enka high and 1 in Enka middle, I graduated from Enka and I love living in the west or what the locals call enka, candler area, asheville offers a lot but in the other areas in the property taxes have doubled over the past 5 years, if you are looking at buying a home, check at the website [URL="http://www.ashevillenc.gov"]www.ashevillenc.gov[/URL] and [URL="http://www.buncombecounty.gov"]www.buncombecounty.gov[/URL] there will alot of information like the median income and the schools in each district

Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
Default Beautiful response

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
Where are your facts, exactly? Posting a diatribe like this and then saying that I need to disprove it is beyond childish - it's just stupid. Just because you blather on about cesspools and city council doesn't really say much of anything other than you are one seriously cranky old man.

I've posted in threads about my experience living in Montford, hiking on trails in the area, things to do in downtown Asheville, good restaurants to try out. Sometimes I reference specific facts (I had fun posting data disproving that Buncombe County had the 2nd highest teen pregnancy rate in the state), but sometimes I post based on what I have experienced personally. I could go on, but it's pretty much guaranteed that people's experiences don't count much with you if it's at all positive and you will post to belittle anything that even remotely implies that this is a nice place to live.

You are one of the most miserable people I have ever seen on a message board. Seriously.

Oh by the way, I've also posted about living near one of the "cesspools" you like to babble on about. It's really not a bad place to live. I have friendly neighbors, no crime, and I can walk to downtown. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's been my experience for the past 5 years.
This is the first time I've ever posted on this or any forum on the web. I live in the Klondyke Apartments. I am from the NYC metro area and for someone to consider this a cesspool they must be extremely sheltered. Asheville overall I thought just through my light research on US cities has a very low crime rate in general.

When you say cesspool, do you mean not white? The only differnence between here and many other neighborhoods I've been in This place seems to just not have many white people. Yeah, I'm considered poor, but I certainly am not a criminal.

Although it is now 2010, and I suppose this posting is from what 2007 ?
I also suspect West Asheville has been gentrified, if that's what you call it. Similar to Williamsburg Brooklyn somewhat, although that is a gross exaggeration. You know Yuppies and young, wholesome, and 'hip' people.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM

40 posts, read 71,495 times
I'd say that west AVL is a lot better neighborhoods than East Asheville, Heard one lady from E. AVL say her neighborhood, and this was in the county & in the country, had tons of break-ins, before they FINALLY caught the theif and put him in prison. Shiloh, i've heard is in east AVL & is known to be a very bad crime area. Even the local pizza shops won't go there sometimes!
There's bad neighborhoods everywhere in AVL, it's not confined to W. AVL and yes, I must say that W. AVL has come a long way. People are fixing up their houses and the few times I've been there, never felt afraid to walk down the street, though I often am, when I have visited downtown AVL.
They don't want to report the crimes cuz it will hurt the tourist industry. I had read somewhere that ATL had done the same thing at one point!
Why not live in a town other than AVL? It's high in cost too.....

Old 05-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Oh, i think that W. AVL is very pedestrian friendly, much more so, than South AVL, which has almost nO sidewalks in the area, and East AVL. They just had a protest march in paper to try get city fathers to install sidewalks in that area. Even the veterans couldn't safely walk down the street to the VA hospital.
But, yes, there's been a good deal of corruption in the local govt over the years. They have a former sheriff who's now serving a life sentence in jail. He was in power for 12 years I think.
I 've been told by folks who rent there, there are alot of housing violations too that don't get anything done about them too. I think this town needs a bit of housecleaning myself.
Maybe if Michelle Obama comes to live in AVL it will get done! One can only hope!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 AM

Default the only one who stuck up for these drug problems was Carl Mumpower, but he's out of office

And they beat him up to death in the local news over & over. He's no longer with the city council, so I don't know what is happening with these neighborhoods that have lots of violence & drug crimes.

That's par for the course, with most of the local officials here in NC! They want to pretend a problem does not exist! That's NOT going to make it go away sadly, it's only going to fester and get worse.
We need more Carl Mumpowers in office, imho. At least he stuck up for what he believe in, and tried to solve some of the cities problems.
The APD does a horrible job with many of the crimes sadly enough. So many unsolved murders here... I don't quite get it. Wouldn't you want to get the murderers off the street if you were the police department?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
City council and APD have also chosen the approach of sticking their head in the sand about the problems in these taxpayer supported drug markets.

The only way to fix a problem is to make sure the problem is kept in the spotlight.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There aren't any, one of the reasons those are nicer parts of town.

Projects are central and west.

East Asheville is considered the "nicer" part of town, which areas/neighborhoods would you consider East Asheville, Asheville Native?

I think the nicest areas of AVL are the northern parts and the south part, Biltmore Forest, which is the ritzy part of the whole town.
Not sure I'd like to live in a forest though....sort of too shady & dark for me.
Must be hard to have a garden in that neighborhood also.

How come there are so many wild turkeys in the town of AVL, btw?

Last edited by RoyalBeagle; 06-02-2010 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina