Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Dogs, chickens, bees top council agenda | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Quote:
Banning bird feeders and other known “attractants” outside homes frequented by bears or other animals that could endanger people.
What next, will they demand I take out my blueberry bushes?

Still wonder what the "other" animals that could endanger me are, aside from the ones that live in and deal drugs from the many public housing projects throughout the city. These drug dealers are a greater danger than the black bears in the city. I would support this, if these 'attractants' were to be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
Makes sense to me. If you put out something to attract bears you're basically creating a public nuisance that may endanger the bear as much as humans. There was someone on this forum last winter that wanted to shoot the bears that kept coming into his yard--is that what you want?

BTW, are you going to go to the council meeting and participate or just sit at home and complain?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,665 times
I would never give up my feeders either, Native. Do they want to micromanage every detail of people's lives? Teach people how to have responsible feeding stations for birds- but banning them - that's a whole different kind of scary.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Makes sense to me. If you put out something to attract bears you're basically creating a public nuisance that may endanger the bear as much as humans.
Bears get into trash, and break birdfeeders, and that about covers it. Raccoons and opossums also get into the trash and raid birdfeeders.

Hell the cats that walk over my truck frequently are more of a nuisance than the bear that comes by from time to time. Besides the bear was here first, the cats come thanks to the paranoid newcomers that leave their outside spots on 24/7 I guess cause they are afraid of the dark.

Now how about some things that create significant public nuisance (crime not just a mess), homeless shelters, housing projects.

Quote:
There was someone on this forum last winter that wanted to shoot the bears that kept coming into his yard--is that what you want?
People that stupid need to move back to where ever the hell they came from (and I do remember that jerk).

Quote:
BTW, are you going to go to the council meeting and participate or just sit at home and complain?
They have already heard from me, they don't listen to public comment, they are probably playing solitaire on their laptops.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
It's nice to know they have solved all their other problems and can turn to this. I'll be surprised if they don't enact a law to make it illegal for bears to break into feeders. I'm glad I live outside the city limits.

We get bear visits every couple of weeks. As a result I take the extraordinary step of taking our feeders in at night. I may have to change my tactic and feed him a city councilman. Although there are some things a bear just won't eat.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I may have to change my tactic and feed him a city councilman. Although there are some things a bear just won't eat.
I could suggest a few to start with, but I suspect PETA would be up in arms about animal abuse

Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 AM

108 posts, read 383,879 times
[quote=Asheville Native;8541489]Dogs, chickens, bees top council agenda | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Wait a minute... the city (of Asheville) stopped people from tying their dogs outside shops and other places downtown??? I have not noticed that, and how very un-dog-friendly! If true, one more reason I am SO glad I don't live in Buncombe County!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina