U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 PM

22 posts, read 39,418 times
Default Artist Looking...

I'm thinking of relocating to Asheville and like may people here I'm also lost in what's the best areas to live. I'm an artist and art photographer, some what eclectic yet love charming and secluded areas. I also love nature and don't mind the downtown living as long as it is artsy, laid back and lots of coffee shops and stores to walk around. I also love industrial lofts and specially the raw looking ones. I'm also aware that areas like that aren't that safe but again maybe their is an area that caters to artist with that feel...I live in Dallas, and I'm not happy with it. I moved here last year and I can't connect with this city... I'm looking for a more friendlier town and a that I can connect and having those smokey mountains close to me, I know that it will be the highlight of it all. Being spiritual, I know that I would find myself again in nature oriented places...I've see some pictures of this place and I feel so connected by it and I think it would be a great new journey in my life. I'm 43 and definitely I think very much out of the box, love people and would love to make new friends.... I hope that with all this information, I can get some great feedback.. Thanks. Laz

PS: I'm also thinking of doing a small store with my art and photography, any feed back on that as well...Any areas that are zoned for business and living....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 PM

43,739 posts, read 53,292,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeye View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Asheville and like may people here I'm also lost in what's the best areas to live. I'm an artist and art photographer, some what eclectic yet love charming and secluded areas. I also love nature and don't mind the downtown living as long as it is artsy, laid back and lots of coffee shops and stores to walk around. I also love industrial lofts and specially the raw looking ones. I'm also aware that areas like that aren't that safe but again maybe their is an area that caters to artist with that feel...I live in Dallas, and I'm not happy with it. I moved here last year and I can't connect with this city... I'm looking for a more friendlier town and a that I can connect and having those smokey mountains close to me, I know that it will be the highlight of it all. Being spiritual, I know that I would find myself again in nature oriented places...I've see some pictures of this place and I feel so connected by it and I think it would be a great new journey in my life. I'm 43 and definitely I think very much out of the box, love people and would love to make new friends.... I hope that with all this information, I can get some great feedback.. Thanks. Laz

PS: I'm also thinking of doing a small store with my art and photography, any feed back on that as well...Any areas that are zoned for business and living....

Here's my best suggestion...plan a trip to Asheville to get out in it and check it out. It is very small compared to Dallas and you can see the whole city very easily in a few days. Go and meet some of the local artists to pick their brains for ideas and suggestions about becoming a local yourself.

You can meet many artists in their shops, just go and start making some connections. Here's a great place to start:

River Arts District, Asheville, NC

Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the feed back, I'm looking into a trip. Was checking the airfares and they aren't that cheap plus the times schedules are weird from Dallas... THANK U!!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,931,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeye View Post

West Asheville sounds like a great place for you -- that's where many of the Artists set up shop, and it definitely has a funky feel to it. It has a coffee shop, pub, yoga studio, co-op, and some neat places to eat.

Check out:

Welcome to Haywood Road, West Asheville, North Carolina

Also, you might want to check out The Lofts at Chesterfield Mill:

The Lofts at Chesterfield Mill

I'm not sure what the progress of that project is though -- with the economic downturn, it's hard to predict what will and will not be finished. Worth looking into though.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 AM

284 posts, read 480,118 times
Asheville seems to be turning into another Austin, on a much smaller scale. The cost of living has skyrocketed, as people from all over have moved in. Such a change has both pros and cons, of course. It is now somewhat off limits to those on a limited budget. Prices are much higher than one initially expects, but for those pouring in from the larger cities, I guess it seems inexpensive.

I would like to move there from San Antonio, but even though we're the seventh largest city in the US, it's MUCH cheaper here. Asheville is a great city, for sure, but too many people are flocking there, and like Austin, can soon make it unaffordable and far too crowded.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,931,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
I would like to move there from San Antonio, but even though we're the seventh largest city in the US, it's MUCH cheaper here. Asheville is a great city, for sure, but too many people are flocking there, and like Austin, can soon make it unaffordable and far too crowded.
Such are the laws of supply and demand.

I don't know about the "overcrowded" part, but guess it's all relative.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM

43,739 posts, read 53,292,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
Asheville seems to be turning into another Austin, on a much smaller scale. The cost of living has skyrocketed, as people from all over have moved in. Such a change has both pros and cons, of course. It is now somewhat off limits to those on a limited budget. Prices are much higher than one initially expects, but for those pouring in from the larger cities, I guess it seems inexpensive.

Not sure I agree people are "flocking" to Asheville anymore.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,054,485 times
Dear Creative Eye,
You could live downtown, plenty of lofts, that way you can have a shop and live in the same vicinity. For example, the Grove Arcade is an atrium type building, big stone Griffins guarding the north door, it has some condo rentals up the elevator, shops and a grocery below, with mezanine office areas. By the way, I believe they still have a photography gallery on Biltmore Avenue close to Pack Square, it was called f64. Look up the Mountain Xpress paper online, it lists tons of art type clubs and gallery events.

There's a bunch of artists who work, and some live too, down on the French Broad River, quite a few blocks west of town in converted brick warehouses, true lofts, but the location is a little remote in feel. This is a different link than the one in the other post:
River District Artists

My personal choice is, if you would like to live within biking distance to the downtown area, thus have the advantages of trees and sidewalks and a yard for a dog, then Historic Montford is definitely worth taking a look at, especially as you get closer to the park. Ages ago I knew an iron sculptor who put his stuff in the yard, also knew a potter whose kiln was across Broadway in a shared warehouse, and at the moment there's a photographer who has her studio over there. Montford has a community garden, a park, the cemetery where Thomas Wolfe and O. Henry are buried, and the Shakespearean troupe Montford Park Players has its stage back in there.
GG

Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Everyone, thank you so much for all the info... Is great to have so many options..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina