Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:21 PM

245 posts, read 652,777 times

Advertisements

i agree with those with suggest Boone. It and the Blowing Rock area are very nice & you'd do fine with yoga/massage, since there are lots of young people (ASU) & wealthy retirees who summer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Historically, Western NC as a whole is politically and socially conservative. During this past presidential election, the only mountain counties won by Obama-Biden were Watauga (52%), Buncombe (56%) and Jackson (52%).
Jackson County...I had to look that up. The biggest city is Sylvia at only 2,500 people.

Interesting that a little county like that went blue.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Jackson County...I had to look that up. The biggest city is Sylvia at only 2,500 people.

Interesting that a little county like that went blue.
Around 10,000 students at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Sylva home to university, hence some liberalism. Most southerners were at one time southern democrats and can often be seen to vote democrat. mountain people tend to be democrats cause grandpa was. yellow dog democrat regardless of who is running. And lastly the 11th district had a moderate more or less conservative congressman running as a democrat and that was just their cup of tea. Also on the presidential level, all honors deserved to the republican candidate, i believe Mr Obama carried the state.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
I believe Steve Martin has a place in Brevard. And it does have a White Squirrel Festival. Lots of conservation activities. Ithink it has a community college and a famous music school. It's no Asheville, but also costs less. And it has the charm of being in Transylvania County.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Never heard that "the" Steve Martin has a place in Brevard. The White Squirrel Festival is something "once and done"; fun, antique cars, funnel cones, nice crafts etc. But there is also the Apple Festival in Hendersonville, and Art on Main in Hendersonville, much better. Whether Brevard/Transylvania County in general is less expensive than Asheville? the jury is out on that one. Some very posh property up in those Brevard area/Transylvania County hills as well (just less obvious). All through the western NC mountains and eastern TN mountains, there are celebrities everywhere, and, it's only the tourists who are impressed; the locals could care less where they are and won't tell if you ask.

Perry Como lived quiety in Saluda for years, and loved to walk in downtown Hendersonville now and then. Treated like a regular guy, no one special. You gotta' love that. Buffalo Bob from the Howdy Doody show lived right there in Flat Rock for years, and my neighbor has some of his furniture when it went to auction. Spanky from Spanky and Our Gang is alleged to still happily reside a bit south of Hendersonville. The Asheville-ians used to brag about Andi McDowell living in Biltmore Forest, until they saw and heard her nasty snippy attitude in the stores about town.

Brevard is a sweet little town, not much going on though on any given night. Hendersonville is growing, hope it stops after we get the TJ Maxx.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I've read online that Steve Martin lives in Brevard. Have also read that he's been seen in the shops there.

LIke here: Celebrities Living in Asheville - Past and Present | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

In a surprise performance in 2008 ... Steve stepped on stage and played with The Steep Canyon Rangers in Brevard at the Mountain Song Festival. He has played there several times since then. The most recent performance in Brevard was this past September. He has a CD with the Rangers who are based in Brevard, called "Rare Bird Alert" and it has just been nominated for a Grammy. Steve and the group have been touring everywhere and have been on TV numerous times.

CD: http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Bird-Aler.../dp/B004K7M764

The Bluegrass Special |

I saw him on TV in concert with the group, and Steve said what the article above says ... that his wife, Anne, used to come to North Carolina and fly fish. One of the musicians was their fly fishing teacher and Steve later met the group at a dinner party with his wife in Brevard, North Carolina.

Steep Canyon Rangers, Steve Martin Lit up America’s Biggest July 4th Celebration | BluegrassJournal.com

Steve Martin to Perform at Mountain Song Festival in Brevard

Steve Martin "Late For School" Live in Brevard, NC. With the Steep Canyon Rangers - YouTube

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 12-19-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
Steve Martin is seen around occasionally. I haven't heard that about Andie McDowell. I know she does a lot for the Humane Society. I saw her in Earth Fare and she was behaving very nicely.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
We were in Earth Fare one day also, and she was at the deli counter, when she was giving the clerk some grief and said: "don't you know who I am !" .... we turned to look and didn't recognize her. lol! When she walked away the blushing clerk told us she is in there all the time.

Currently her home in B/Forest is on the market for $4.5 mil. Evidently she is going to marry her boyfriend who manages a car dealershiop somewhere in the vicinity.

She does do a lot for the Humane Society. But she also collected $8 per person I believe it was to appear at a non charitable function in Flat Rock a few years ago. It was in the paper at the time in a letter to the editor.

Nice to learn that Steve Martin has a place in Brevard. And I believe that celebreties deserve some respect and privacy in public. It's too bad that some have a haughty attitude though.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 PM

91 posts, read 285,999 times
Hendersonville, NC

Waynesville, NC (Waynesville is very small though, and I wouldn't say it is like Asheville either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina