U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM

8 posts, read 23,726 times

Advertisements

Hi.

Am considering a move to Creston NC.

I'd like to know the names of the areas that surround Creston. with in three hours. NO city's. just very much country.

if you live there or within three hours. I would be very thankful if you could tell me little about how you like it.

I'm not looking for a home, so if your wanting to sell your house I'm not buying! I'm just looking for land!

(building a ranch, needs to be country)

thanks a bunch!!

IndyC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyC View Post
Hi.

I'd like to know the names of the areas that surround Creston. with in three hours. NO city's. just very much country.

if you live there or within three hours. I would be very thankful if you could tell me little about how you like it.

I'm not looking for a home, so if your wanting to sell your house I'm not buying! I'm just looking for land!

thanks a bunch!!

IndyC
Curious...it doesn't sound like you've ever been there. Have you? It's a mountainous area - not very populated but beautiful, just having a hard time picturing a ranch there - but then, I'm no rancher so maybe cattle like colder temps? Ashe County is actually known for its many Christmas tree farms

I'm not sure though exactly what it is you want to know? 3 hours in any direction will get you to plenty of places, but yet you don't want to know about any cities?

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-20-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Curious...it doesn't sound like you've ever been there. Have you? It's a mountainous area - not very populated but beautiful, just having a hard time picturing a ranch there - but then, I'm no rancher so maybe cattle like colder temps?

I'm not sure though exactly what it is you want to know? 3 hours in any direction will get you to plenty of places, but yet you don't want to know about any cities?
maybe ranch was the wrong word, its not for cattle, its for sheep and horses. I want to build my home there. and raise my family (having my wife in mind who loves mountains, I shouldn't say wife... but going to be) and live there the rest of my life!

we both love mountains. I don't need all areas three hours away. just a few so I can look them up. I've been there but I was much too young to remember now.

thanks. I don't mind cold (live in IN).

IndyC

Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
maybe ranch was the wrong word, its not for cattle, its for sheep and horses. I want to build my home there. and raise my family (having my wife in mind who loves mountains, I shouldn't say wife... but going to be) and live there the rest of my life!

we both love mountains. I don't need all areas three hours away. just a few so I can look them up. I've been there but I was much too young to remember now.

thanks. I don't mind cold (live in IN).

IndyC
Okay, I understand It is a BEAUTIFUL area, just kind of remote - which I personally prefer to city life myself.

Well, you'll be closet to Jefferson and West Jefferson for groceries and eating out. The county hospital is also there in Jefferson.

http://www.ashememorial.org/

Next closest would be Boone, which is a bigger town, but a nice college town with everything you could need - a mall, hospital, Walmart - etc.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-20-2009 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,423,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Boone...a mall...
Well, it IS classified as a mall, but it's so small one must really have an open mind so as not to be disappointed when they see it. Hopefully people will remember they're in BOONE, not Charlotte.

Heck, I thought the Johnson City, TN mall was small when I lived there, until I moved to Boone!

To the OP, much of Watauga, Avery, Ashe, Alleghany Counties are all rural and have a lot of open space. Some of those Counties are more mountainous than others. But in any of them, you wouldn't be too far from civilization (Boone, Newland, Jefferson/West Jefferson, Sparta, respectively).

Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Well, it IS classified as a mall, but it's so small one must really have an open mind so as not to be disappointed when they see it. Hopefully people will remember they're in BOONE, not Charlotte.

Heck, I thought the Johnson City, TN mall was small when I lived there, until I moved to Boone!

To the OP, much of Watauga, Avery, Ashe, Alleghany Counties are all rural and have a lot of open space. Some of those Counties are more mountainous than others. But in any of them, you wouldn't be too far from civilization (Boone, Newland, Jefferson/West Jefferson, Sparta, respectively).
You're right, I should have said "a very small mall"

Boone is about a 45 minute ride away while Jefferson/West Jefferson is about 30 minutes. It the OP wants rural, he'll get it there in Creston

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,136,679 times
Even though Christmas trees are probably the most predominant agricultural product in Ashe County now, Ashe and its next-door neighbor Alleghany County had a fairly significant number of dairy farms in the not-too-distant past. For mountain counties, they are both rather pastoral... and gorgeous.

For the OP, when I see the term "ranch," I generally think "out West." In NC, we usually call them farms. Also, if you haven't been land shopping yet, be prepared for sticker shock. The tourism and second home industries have not left a lot of open, pastoral land at reasonable prices. Even with the terrible economy, it may not be easy to find a bargain. Good luck, and welcome to God's Country!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM

16,123 posts, read 16,236,695 times
Quote:
Hi.

thanks a bunch!!

IndyC
Have you been to Creston? Although the area is beautiful and I love the mountains most land that is available in Creston is very steep and a lot of it is not easily accessible unless you are paying the big bucks. The main road is Hwy 88 which is a windy but nice road into Jefferson and West Jefferson. You can do most of your shopping there. There is a Lowe's and a Super Walmart. Boone and Wilkesboro are also towns you might go to. If you take Hwy 88 the other way you can go north through Mountain City, TN and into Damascus VA.

Do you need a job? I would make sure you have something lined up first. Farming and ranching here is a lot of hard work and I don't think for most it is very profitable.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Have you been to Creston? Although the area is beautiful and I love the mountains most land that is available in Creston is very steep and a lot of it is not easily accessible unless you are paying the big bucks. The main road is Hwy 88 which is a windy but nice road into Jefferson and West Jefferson. You can do most of your shopping there. There is a Lowe's and a Super Walmart. Boone and Wilkesboro are also towns you might go to. If you take Hwy 88 the other way you can go north through Mountain City, TN and into Damascus VA.

Do you need a job? I would make sure you have something lined up first. Farming and ranching here is a lot of hard work and I don't think for most it is very profitable.

Good luck.
thanks!! I'm looking to place one thing at a time!! I want to have a self sustaining farm! of the grid and all! with a nice orchard and big enough to provide, garden. I have it all laid out in my head. but thats not good enough. so I'm looking for land now cuz my girlfriend loves the mountains! and... So do I!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 PM

45 posts, read 110,485 times
I looked at a place in Creston, but it was too far from all the towns for me. Since I quit cooking when my husband died, I eat out most of the time. Driving from Creston to the Jeffersons every day to get lunch and/or dinner didn't appeal to me. 88 is a really winding road, too.

One of the places I went to had been a farm, but the man was selling it because he couldn't make a go of it. If you're just planning to grow/raise enough to sustain you and your future wife, it might be ok. However, I would think you would need a job or lots of money to buy the supplies. I wish you luck if that's what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina