Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 42,716 times

Advertisements

HI, ALL

Me, my fiance, my fiance's grandma, and our 2 year old son are seriously considering moving at the end of the year. I love north carolina from the mountains to the ocean but i dont like the heat that much so and i love outdoorsy stuff i figure asheville to be a better fit. Ive done alot of research and found the asheville's crime rate to be kinda of nuts for a town of 70k people that most people say is really nice and clean is it the tourist?? im not talking about weed here were talking about murders, rapes, and B & E ..... so far i figured asheville to be just a place we would commute to for movies and dinner and maybe live in hendersenville ??? if asheville is good or there are good and bad parts to stay out of at night please let me know .....any help on surrounding area for quality of schools and low crime would be appreciated.... also we live in a nice town outside of cleveland ohio so im used to snow and nutty weather but ohio seems to be 90% cloud cover how much sun does the area of asheville get im kind of a sun junky but not a 100 degree and humid junky haha ... also when is snow in asheville am i expecting alot ? and how dangerous does it get traveling around mountain roads when its snowy out? thanks folks any feedback from the locals is appreciated..... also you dont have worry about work i can transfer with home depot i see asheville has a troubling economy like the rest of america but i have a steady job and my fiance is graduating in healthcare administration so she should be fine to find a job there too because healthcare is on the rise in the area it says...thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8aarons View Post
Ive done alot of research and found the asheville's crime rate to be kinda of nuts for a town of 70k people that most people say is really nice and clean is it the tourist?? im not talking about weed here were talking about murders, rapes, and B & E .....
Yeah, most residents don't leave home without their bullet-proof vests. Many lock themselves in their basements with their assault rifles, canned food, and gold bars.

Makes cleveland look like paradise.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Yeah, most residents don't leave home without their bullet-proof vests. Many lock themselves in their basements with their assault rifles, canned food, and gold bars.

On the subject, did you get your armored car running again? I thought you said something about a transmission problem.

Most of the violent crime is localized in a few predictable areas. Otherwise, while it is not advisable to pick a random neighborhood and go for a 2am stroll, walking around like Sir Lancelot is not necessary either. A little common sense and awareness of your surroundings is a good preventative....and a lot easier to carry around than the suit of armor.

A lot depends on your frame of reference. I've lived in St. Louis, Phoenix, the SF/Oakland/San Jose area and the suburbs of Washington DC. My answer on the subject is going to be different than somebody from or looking for Mayberry.

As for snow, we get it. Not often, and it often melts by early afternoon. The mountains tend to wreak havoc on storms. Keep in mind that the snow that melts during the day may refreeze at night. As for getting out, a little snow does a lot of damage. Between the mountain roads and those who can barely handle their vehicles when the pavement is dry and the temperature is 75, it can be entertaining.

While you sort of addressed it, I'll give you the same disclaimer everyone gets. Don't come down here unless you have enough employment income locked down to survive. Even health care has suffered some cutbacks. That means there is more than a 1:1 relationship right now between job seekers and jobs in the field. The market will turn up, but the number of job seekers in the field will also rise. Assuming things will work out the way you envision on job fronts here is done so at your own risk.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Default im just comparing, not offending

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post

im obviously not bashing asheville i want to move to that area.... there is only2 or 3 nieghborhoods in cleveland i would walk around in 2 am and i grew up there 2 out of 1000 but i live in avon lake which is a village and has no bad parts.... but according to the stats asheville has had over 40 murders and 6 rapes in the past 5 years ...... that isnt a utopia ... im interested in where not to go at night for safety or is simply tourist you come there and start trouble ??? hopefully someone would answer my questions about crime in asheville and surrounding areas, schools last post touched on weather.... cleveland gets somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 feet of snow so it doesnt seem like you guys get half of that ???

Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM

thanks... weather is probably ok cleveland is probably much worse but we dont have to drive up steep hills and around cliffs but im sure we will be fine... thankyou for the info .... and on the job front i support us now so if she didnt find a job we would be ok but there is 6 hospitals in a 20 min area from asheville we should be ok .... if asheville is struggling maybe wed be better off by raleigh and just deal with the heat sure would misss seeing the mountains though

Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8aarons View Post
im obviously not bashing asheville i want to move to that area....
Right . . . but if we had a dime for everytime someone fretted over the safety of Asheville (which is totally unwarranted), then we'd all be rich.

Quote:
but according to the stats asheville has had over 40 murders and 6 rapes in the past 5 years ...... that isnt a utopia ...
Utopia doesn't exist . . . so don't expect it.

Quote:
im interested in where not to go at night for safety or is simply tourist you come there and start trouble ???
Use your common sense and don't go wandering through one of the housing projects alone at night.

Quote:
cleveland gets somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 feet of snow so it doesnt seem like you guys get half of that ???
A simple google search reveals:

Statistics and General Info : Facts about Asheville, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina