Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 AM

440 posts, read 1,092,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
For Pete's sake! You're STILL dealing with this? You're going to be 105 at this rate. Government sure is speedy.
Yeah... Gov't entities............. S U C K !! They are honestly torturing us. The ball is on the court right now ...not in play. They are trying to get add'l funds for the project (we know this) In the meantime they gave us the only answer they can right now (& our neighbor)...we NO LONGER have need of your property(s). MAJOR BS!!!! They can't do the project without us. You would have to see the lay of the land how we are all situated and know their plan to see why........but it is just total BS. We remain in FAITH that God has his hand on this and working behind the scenes.......it will happen. Fortunately while we wait we didn't flood again, that is a blessing. One day soon we will put this behind us and maybe even look back and laugh a bit at it. *shrugging shoulders* As for now..... I am "Blooming Where I'm At". Can't wait for our visit there around Thanksgiving! We will check at some of the areas we are interested in while there. ...Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM

28 posts, read 85,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear Nice Guy,
I have another link for you, for Burnsville:

Yancey County Chamber of Commerce Welcomes You

When you go to that link, look under "Visitor's Info," and the section "What to See & Do." This town has been mentioned to you in other posts, but it's worth bringing up again. Burnsville is the Yancey County seat. The Blue Ridge Parkway NC meanders through the county, the Appalachian Trail rims the southern boundary, creating some great spots to hike and mountain bike, and the Toe River also crosses Yancey County, providing for whitewater rafting and fly fishing.

Burnsville is under a two hour's drive north of Asheville, and the town is also about the same distance to the ski resort Wolf Laurel. I've gone up to Burnsville a few times, and it has a cute downtown square with shops (and it's a true square, with a small park in middle), it has a theater group, art places are prominent, and real estate is not too expensive for WNC. I think it fits in your critieria of being near outdoor activities, and it's small enough

not to be Wal Mart-driven, as you put it once, and it's not too far north where Boone is, which you excluded from your preferences in another post. I think any business you start there will succeed, as the link shows there are many such places there.
GG
Um duh its an under 2 hour drive from Asheville! Burnsville is maybe 45 minutes from A'ville.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-24-2011 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM

28 posts, read 85,951 times
Saluda, NC. Has refused to let any wal-marts or chain resteraunts into the town limits the town council is afraid that it would ruin the town's charm. Town still maintains an extremely quaint downtown. It is in both Polk & Henderson counties. Several charming downtown shops & places to eat.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
The OP didn't say no walmart, they just said not "walmart centric". Morganton has a walmart, but there are several other stores there. A walmart is always convenient.

My mother and grandma sit in their car and watch people walk in and out of walmart, so to them walmart is centric, but many others just go there for perscriptions.

You can also look on google map. Type walmart in the search bar and you will see all the red dots in towns with a walmart. Basicly every town has one unless the population is only 1,000.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchelbritches View Post
i particularly have an interest in Black Mountain. is anyone familiar with that town and aware of general feel and attitude?
Hippy dippy to the Nth degree....so should suit the Hipsters here who want small towns full of people just like them...

I actually like Black Mountain,don't give a crap about the hippy dippy types,but it is $$$$ for little gain.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Hippy dippy to the Nth degree....so should suit the Hipsters here who want small towns full of people just like them...

I actually like Black Mountain,don't give a crap about the hippy dippy types,but it is $$$$ for little gain.
Ummmm, no? Black Mountain is so far from that... oh wait, I know what you're thinking about. Bunch of Warren Wilson kids will go into Black Mountain to get done what they need to get done, and Montreat College is up the road, but it's certainly NOT "hippy-dippy to the Nth degree", that's a totally over-the-top description. I stayed at a friend's house in Black Mountain when I first moved here for a couple of months until I could get myself into a better living situation, and I thoroughly enjoyed the town. None of our neighbors were "hippy dippy types", and in fact, most on our particular block were closer to retirement age. I sort of wanted to move back this year when we were house-hunting, but I'm glad we went to a more rural location.

But you should look at real estate there if you like the town, because we almost got this house... my god it was unreal. Had four bedrooms, three baths, tons of space, wood stoves upstairs and down for heat (saves you a ton of money if you know how to use it), all kinds of great stuff. It was only $1200. If you had three other people (which you don't, but I'm making a point), that would be only $300 a person. In any case, $300 a bedroom isn't bad at all for anywhere in Buncombe County. Oh, and did I mention it was way up on a hill overlooking this gorgeous horse farm surrounded by mountains? Because it was.

If you want the real "mountain experience" (I know that sounds corny) I would recommend you go to towns north of Asheville. Weaverville is fantastic, BUT you really really have to know where to look because there are some spots in Weaverville that are crappy and phony, but there are some, like down in the Reems Creek area, that are really prime. And by that I mean your neighbors will be old-timers from the mountains, not New Yorkers and Californians (nothing against you guys, just, you know, making a point here), and the scenery out in that pocket is great.

Also, Mars Hill and Marshall up in Madison County are great, but I'd say you have to be prepared for those. That's much more old-time mountain community up there. But I love those folks; we're right at the Madison (and Yancey) County line(s), and I go into Mars Hill for groceries. Very very nice people there, and some of the most absolutely mind-blowing drop-dead gorgeous girls you'll ever see. A lot of them are there for the college though, so if you're past a certain age I would guess that's off limits. (If you're not already married anyway, that is.)

Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Well...you have your opinion and we have ours...it should suit some who aren't actually looking for the mountain way of living but just want to have their soy latte and pretend...

Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Black Mountain may seem hippy dippy for someone who is up there for a day trip, but any hippies there are merely a segment of the population and they may work in the coffee shops but they live for Asheville and consider Black Mountain an inconvenience or so they said.

Black Mountain rolls its sidewalks up at night and that doesn't sound too conducive to hippy dippiness to me. Mid day latte's maybe.

My daughter visited two weeks ago and was surprised at how dark the town is at night and the only restaurant open closed at 9pm. She arrived at 845 pm but they were nice enough to stay and serve her.

Live and learn, I guess

Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM

LOL at the restaurants closing,that is a funny thing up here,9pm time to close.

There is(or was) a little bar on one of the side streets,near the German restaurant I think.
When we used to visit before we bought our place,we liked the Red Rocker Inn.

Went to a great restaurant in Shelby this past weekend,food was good and very reasonably priced and beer was less than $3 for micro brews.And I am a little picky when it comes to food,having worked in kitchens for 15+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina