U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM

90 posts, read 293,016 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just my circle but I know a lot of people who are doing just fine in Asheville. Their salaries might be better if they lived in SF for instance, but they seem very happy. Also, the ones I know who are struggling still enjoy living here. It's the sacrifice they've made to live somewhere they love. Just wanted to state an alternative viewpoint from the mainstream feeling that everyone is poor, unemployed and unhappy here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM

616 posts, read 1,528,704 times
Moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to WNC. My car insurance almost doubled. Was surprised at how much more groceries and produce cost. Wasn't used to the annual motor vehicle tax (county) so add that to the list. Housing more expensive. The only thing I found less expensive was Christmas trees!

Also, wages are much lower, so it was a double whammy. Asheville is pretty, and interesting, but I find it overbuilt. Unless my husband and I found terrific jobs there, we wouldn't move back to that area. Happily, in this world, there's something for everyone, and Asheville might be "it" for you!

Best wishes!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,226,410 times
Thankfully, not everyone likes Asheville. (hell, I'm a newbie myself, so I may end up not liking it . . . but I doubt it)

It's the ones who complain about, but stick around anyway, that you have to wonder about.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,226,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But when you factor in the median family income, how do they compare?
Don't know. Don't care either.

I'm making Raleigh money and enjoying Asheville living.

Works for me.

Besides, I was just pointing out that your statement is factually incorrect, that's all.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM

6,655 posts, read 11,797,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreehouseNC View Post
Can't get used to this state tax even though every year we file a return and get most of it back....sales tax, personal property tax, tax, tax everywhere. Food seems to be higher and not as good of selection as FL. Still deal with the 'ignorant' and 'red-necky' as pslamp32 put it. We are in the "hills" so guess that is how it is..... Asheville and Waynesville would be my choice if I had to stay.....or do it all over again
I don't see why states like Massachusetts are called Taxachusetts and NC has even more taxes. The property tax and house might be lower in NC, but its just there are so many different type taxes there. It really is something people need to find their comfort level with before moving there. Especially when obviouly fast growing states with this much tax are only going to increase it constantly.

Maybe the state would be better off if they raised several taxes somewhat and omitted some the others. At least it would not seem to be such a battle of so many different type taxes.

It is a beautiful state though.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM

6,655 posts, read 11,797,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Thankfully, not everyone likes Asheville. (hell, I'm a newbie myself, so I may end up not liking it . . . but I doubt it)

It's the ones who complain about, but stick around anyway, that you have to wonder about.
Not everyone can just pick up and move. Im not sure all that many Americans realize that.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM

676 posts, read 2,725,910 times
In our situation the wages ares so much lower and health insurance higher, that the lower cost of living doesn't really amount to much. We own an affordable house, otherwise not much more has been less money. I find the food, especially produce to be on the higher side. I also feel like my produce goes bad a lot faster. People seem surface friendly and I often feel judged or at least misunderstood. I tend to get closer faster to the transplants than the locals. I always assumed it was because they were so busy with their own families, extended families and church. But, I think it really is because I stick out as a non-local. I am often asked where I am from so it must be obvious!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,082,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslamp32 View Post
Maybe it's just my circle but I know a lot of people who are doing just fine in Asheville. Their salaries might be better if they lived in SF for instance, but they seem very happy. Also, the ones I know who are struggling still enjoy living here. It's the sacrifice they've made to live somewhere they love. Just wanted to state an alternative viewpoint from the mainstream feeling that everyone is poor, unemployed and unhappy here...
Maybe it is, as my circle also seems to be doing just fine, but that does not change the fact that the median family income for Asheville is significantly lower than the state average.
Quote:
Estimated median household income in 2007: $36,854 (it was $32,772 in 2000)
Asheville: $36,854
North Carolina: $44,670
http://www.city-data.com/city/Ashevi...-Carolina.html

Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,082,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Don't know. Don't care either.

I'm making Raleigh money and enjoying Asheville living.

Works for me.

Besides, I was just pointing out that your statement is factually incorrect, that's all.
Well that is a bit short sighted view don't you think. This drags the whole place down, this contributes to the fact that Asheville has the largest percentage of public housing residents, and likely we also lead in free school lunches, food stamps, and all of the other tax supported assistance programs.

Or you are really just a nice guy and this is your way of expressing empathy for those not as fortunate as yourself.

Oh factually incorrect, your very statement here acknowledges that there is a pay differential between Asheville and Raleigh.

If house "X" costs the exact amount in Raleigh and Asheville, BUT your income is 15-20% lower in Asheville, show me your math wizardry and tell me which is more expensive to the buyer.

Or this is a common mindset of many a new comer "I got mine and to hell with the rest of you"

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM

118 posts, read 319,474 times
Asheville Native - Thanks for the info. Helpful. Actually, I do mention in later posts my frame of reference point being SW PA and Florida.

To all... appreciate all the input! Keep it coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina