U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM

147 posts, read 383,450 times

Advertisements

I always find it hilarious when people try to compare the mountains of North Carolina and Asheville to places like Miami or New York or even Raleigh. It is a city of 70,000 people! The first highway making western NC accessible to the rest of the country came through only about 40 years ago! To natives and those from surrounding small towns, Asheville IS diverse. There are people from all over the place there and people who are out living all kinds of lifestyles. Twenty years ago this was not the reality. However, compared to almost any town in California or any real city in America, western NC would seem shockingly homogeneous.

I am always amazed by the ignorance regarding the reality of the majority of America from people who have always lived in Miami, NYC, LA, SF etc. Granted, it is hard to imagine the way the majority of America lives when all you know is Brooklyn or little Havana, but jeez. If you're from Miami, compare Asheville to any 70,000 person city in Florida and tell me how boring it is.

Liking to visit a place and liking to live there are two entirely different things.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM

14,049 posts, read 27,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsych View Post
I will be moving to AVL in a couple of months and am a little nervous after reading some of these posts. After hearing all the wonderful things people have said about the city, I felt so excited about my upcoming move after landing a job at the hospital there.

Coming from Miami/FT. Lauderdale, I do admit that I am looking to get away from the craziness you find in South Florida. Yes, the beach is beautiful, nightlife is always on, and the house market is as bad as Asheville's (so I gather), but I am looking for a little "small town" feel with a "city attitude".

I have made wonderful friends in Florida and would stay...but most of them are leaving too.
I hope my personal experience is greater than what I've read so far.
Don't worry, you will love it, I can almost promise. Since you have the big hurdle out of the way (the job) you can relax and enjoy what this incredible little jewel in the mountains has to offer.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM

16,301 posts, read 22,938,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
What? If you don't like Asheville then don't live there. It's as simple as that. Don't complain about it. Just leave.
That is the path of cowards and people that choose not to get involved and "fix" things that are a problem. I guess that might describe the huge number of people that don't even bother to vote.

Get involved or nothing will ever be fixed.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 AM

758 posts, read 1,987,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsych View Post
I will be moving to AVL in a couple of months and am a little nervous after reading some of these posts. After hearing all the wonderful things people have said about the city, I felt so excited about my upcoming move after landing a job at the hospital there.

Coming from Miami/FT. Lauderdale, I do admit that I am looking to get away from the craziness you find in South Florida. Yes, the beach is beautiful, nightlife is always on, and the house market is as bad as Asheville's (so I gather), but I am looking for a little "small town" feel with a "city attitude".

I have made wonderful friends in Florida and would stay...but most of them are leaving too.
I hope my personal experience is greater than what I've read so far.
Hi, everyone! Welcome to the forum and the town, dipsych! I agree with gypsychic--you're going to love it here!!

I want you to understand, dipsych, why this post is so long: I think you need to know something about our background in order to appreciate what I'm about to say about Asheville. AND, some of you have wondered where we've been (on the forum) and what finally became of our real estate nightmare. This is our update.

I was raised in the mountains of southwestern PA, am a mountain gal in my bones, and have to have four seasons. Yet Bill and I are from one of the country's biggest and craziest cities--San Diego. "Crazy" as in traffic, endless concrete, asphalt, and steel, sprinkler systems where there should be rain, frenetic pace of mind, obsession with "me and mine," liberal values, fruits, nuts, and flakes!

Education, marriage, and jobs kept us there, unfortunately, until we retired last October and moved here before we were even able to sell our house. OH YES... the housing market there is crazy, too, to say the least!

Speaking of which: TERRIFIC NEWS, everyone! Our San Diego house should close escrow by April 4. YES!--We finally sold our house, at a fire sale price after 14 months of agony. We have also suffered through the escrow from hell--it opened Feb. 1 and was to close Mar. 17. Now it "should" close April 4 after three extensions and everyone believes it WILL CLOSE this time.

Meanwhile we have been renting in Hendersonville for six months while searching for the "perfect" house to buy in Asheville. Even for us active retirees, Asheville is the only right choice; everywhere else is too far away from "the action."

We found that "perfect" house in Asheville and BOUGHT it!!! Escrow will close at the end of April. We are of course thrilled. It's a darling 1991 Victorian (perfect for old folks, right?--ha ha) that's full of personality and charm, sized right for us, in pristine condition, perched on a 3/4 acre lot in a beautiful community of 90 homes called Eastmoor. HOA and road maintenance are only $530 a YEAR to keep the community park and cottage, and roads, in wonderful condition for the enjoyment of all. Rules and regs are minimal and for the protection of all.

(Special thanks to the one on this forum (was it "cooper"?) who recommended we look into Eastmoor, located halfway between Asheville and Black Mountain off of Highway 70. There should be a special place in Heaven for you!!)

Eastmoor is just outside the Asheville city limits and directly east of town. It takes us 15 minutes to drive to the Asheville Mall on the eastern edge of town (I can shop 'til I drop every day--woohoo!!). So we will be "close in" to Asheville and THRILLED to become permanent Ashevillians!

We hope to give to Asheville at least as much as it has already given to us! We have been living here only six months and already I teach hammered dulcimer in Black Mountain and have sponsored two music groups at the University of North Carolina--Asheville (UNCA). We have enjoyed wonderful new friendships with people from Hendersonville to Black Mountain to Marshall and Brevard! Bill and I intend to relate to Ashevillians as our "core family."

Now in ANY family there are "the good, the bad, and the ugly." We don't want to be the ugly or the bad. We want to be the good ones, the happy ones, the grateful ones, the active ones. We want to be an ASSET to our new community. We are certain that what we give will come back to us in kind--but no matter. It will always be sunny in our lane, because we live in Asheville!

Asheville is a town that makes other small towns we've known seem by comparison shabby, boring, or downright dead. This little town is like a precocious teen with pimples and problems but loaded with natural assets and talents, with the whole world in front of it! It will be incredibly exciting to watch Asheville mature!!!

Now let me try to give you insight into the people themselves--not all the people, of course, but all those I've met in the 17 years we've visited here and the many months we've explored communities here.

There is a large development in Hendersonville called Carriage Park. It has much to recommend it, and for many months it was (forgive me) our "Brigadoon." Even before we knew much of anything about it, we wanted to live there because we heard about how neighbors look after neighbors, watching one another's houses and feeding one another's pets. And how one neighborhood hosts a potluck for another neighborhood. And how its travel club went to Greece last year. And on and on. We loved the concept, but Hendersonville is too far out of Asheville for us (30-40 minutes depending on where in Asheville you're going). Besides, we don't want to pay for shared facilities we don't need. But we were disappointed, since we thought this community must be some kind of miracle, especially after San Diego!

Fast forward. We're buying now in Eastmoor (not a separate town but an Asheville community just to the east of Asheville city limits). Guess what. The neighbors look after one another, keeping an eye on one another's houses, feeding one another's pets, collecting one another's mail. Last weekend we bumped into our soon-to-be next door neighbors (an acre away) and this was the first thing they said after welcoming us: "We hope we can look after each other the way we did with the other owners!" I assured her we would be thrilled to do that, and we will be thrilled to look after her two cats as well and hope that she will look after our two dogs--when we get two dogs. We had one of the warmest two-minute talks I've ever had in my life with any human being.

But I'm a "homework" kind of gal. I research important decisions thoroughly. So I called the Eastmoor residents that our realtor provided as references. There were four, but I stopped calling after two. The first told me he's been living in Eastmoor for 15 years and LOVES it there. He was extremely helpful, putting me in touch with the HOA, for example. He made a point of welcoming us into the community and said he looked forward to meeting us.

The other fellow I reached told me he'd been there for three years. When he lost his partner 18 months ago, there was someone from the community in his living room, he said, EVERY EVENING FOR THREE WEEKS making sure he was okay. Yes. He's gay. Living in a loving community.

He also told me that this is a "doggie" community (which pleases me to no end). People walk their dogs on the roads that connect the homes as well as in the community park. They meet and greet and chat and share community news--about the guy that got a great new job, the couple with the new grandchild, the woman with the new dog she's trying to train.

He continued: The community park is furnished with benches, barbecues, and picnic tables, next to a little cottage which may be rented for $10 a day for a private gathering. The park is well used but never crowded. On the first weekend after Labor Day, the HOA hosts a free barbecue for all the residents. Every Halloween, the community has a Doggie Costume Contest. LOL!

Friends--dipsych--we can speak only for ourselves. As we see it, OF COURSE there's no perfect town (or perfect anything else)--ALL human beings are flawed and therefore any town that human beings create and inhabit is flawed!! All that we as human beings--and as a TOWN--can ever hope to do is to learn and grow by making intelligent, caring, prayerful choices, asking that our lives be infused by a loving and caring God.

For us, Asheville is that town. It is an architecturally beautiful little town with a willing heart and friendly spirit, nestled in God's second home--the Blue Ridge Mountains. But it is still a teenager and at times unruly. How we "parent" it--how we steward its resources and influence its direction (political, governmental, and otherwise), will determine its future. In our experience, people here take that journey in faith, which is a beautiful thing about much of small-town America!

You want a "small-town feel with a city attitude," dipsych??

Welcome home!

Jan

Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM

45,264 posts, read 81,961,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Hi, everyone! Welcome to the forum and the town, dipsych! I agree with gypsychic--you're going to love it here!!

I want you to understand, dipsych, why this post is so long: I think you need to know something about our background in order to appreciate what I'm about to say about Asheville. AND, some of you have wondered where we've been (on the forum) and what finally became of our real estate nightmare. This is our update.

I was raised in the mountains of southwestern PA, am a mountain gal in my bones, and have to have four seasons. Yet Bill and I are from one of the country's biggest and craziest cities--San Diego. "Crazy" as in traffic, endless concrete, asphalt, and steel, sprinkler systems where there should be rain, frenetic pace of mind, obsession with "me and mine," liberal values, fruits, nuts, and flakes!

Education, marriage, and jobs kept us there, unfortunately, until we retired last October and moved here before we were even able to sell our house. OH YES... the housing market there is crazy, too, to say the least!

Speaking of which: TERRIFIC NEWS, everyone! Our San Diego house should close escrow by April 4. YES!--We finally sold our house, at a fire sale price after 14 months of agony. We have also suffered through the escrow from hell--it opened Feb. 1 and was to close Mar. 17. Now it "should" close April 4 after three extensions and everyone believes it WILL CLOSE this time.

Meanwhile we have been renting in Hendersonville for six months while searching for the "perfect" house to buy in Asheville. Even for us active retirees, Asheville is the only right choice; everywhere else is too far away from "the action."

We found that "perfect" house in Asheville and BOUGHT it!!! Escrow will close at the end of April. We are of course thrilled. It's a darling 1991 Victorian (perfect for old folks, right?--ha ha) that's full of personality and charm, sized right for us, in pristine condition, perched on a 3/4 acre lot in a beautiful community of 90 homes called Eastmoor. HOA and road maintenance are only $530 a YEAR to keep the community park and cottage, and roads, in wonderful condition for the enjoyment of all. Rules and regs are minimal and for the protection of all.

(Special thanks to the one on this forum (was it "cooper"?) who recommended we look into Eastmoor, located halfway between Asheville and Black Mountain off of Highway 70. There should be a special place in Heaven for you!!)

Eastmoor is just outside the Asheville city limits and directly east of town. It takes us 15 minutes to drive to the Asheville Mall on the eastern edge of town (I can shop 'til I drop every day--woohoo!!). So we will be "close in" to Asheville and THRILLED to become permanent Ashevillians!

We hope to give to Asheville at least as much as it has already given to us! We have been living here only six months and already I teach hammered dulcimer in Black Mountain and have sponsored two music groups at the University of North Carolina--Asheville (UNCA). We have enjoyed wonderful new friendships with people from Hendersonville to Black Mountain to Marshall and Brevard! Bill and I intend to relate to Ashevillians as our "core family."

Now in ANY family there are "the good, the bad, and the ugly." We don't want to be the ugly or the bad. We want to be the good ones, the happy ones, the grateful ones, the active ones. We want to be an ASSET to our new community. We are certain that what we give will come back to us in kind--but no matter. It will always be sunny in our lane, because we live in Asheville!

Asheville is a town that makes other small towns we've known seem by comparison shabby, boring, or downright dead. This little town is like a precocious teen with pimples and problems but loaded with natural assets and talents, with the whole world in front of it! It will be incredibly exciting to watch Asheville mature!!!

Now let me try to give you insight into the people themselves--not all the people, of course, but all those I've met in the 17 years we've visited here and the many months we've explored communities here.

There is a large development in Hendersonville called Carriage Park. It has much to recommend it, and for many months it was (forgive me) our "Brigadoon." Even before we knew much of anything about it, we wanted to live there because we heard about how neighbors look after neighbors, watching one another's houses and feeding one another's pets. And how one neighborhood hosts a potluck for another neighborhood. And how its travel club went to Greece last year. And on and on. We loved the concept, but Hendersonville is too far out of Asheville for us (30-40 minutes depending on where in Asheville you're going). Besides, we don't want to pay for shared facilities we don't need. But we were disappointed, since we thought this community must be some kind of miracle, especially after San Diego!

Fast forward. We're buying now in Eastmoor (not a separate town but an Asheville community just to the east of Asheville city limits). Guess what. The neighbors look after one another, keeping an eye on one another's houses, feeding one another's pets, collecting one another's mail. Last weekend we bumped into our soon-to-be next door neighbors (an acre away) and this was the first thing they said after welcoming us: "We hope we can look after each other the way we did with the other owners!" I assured her we would be thrilled to do that, and we will be thrilled to look after her two cats as well and hope that she will look after our two dogs--when we get two dogs. We had one of the warmest two-minute talks I've ever had in my life with any human being.

But I'm a "homework" kind of gal. I research important decisions thoroughly. So I called the Eastmoor residents that our realtor provided as references. There were four, but I stopped calling after two. The first told me he's been living in Eastmoor for 15 years and LOVES it there. He was extremely helpful, putting me in touch with the HOA, for example. He made a point of welcoming us into the community and said he looked forward to meeting us.

The other fellow I reached told me he'd been there for three years. When he lost his partner 18 months ago, there was someone from the community in his living room, he said, EVERY EVENING FOR THREE WEEKS making sure he was okay. Yes. He's gay. Living in a loving community.

He also told me that this is a "doggie" community (which pleases me to no end). People walk their dogs on the roads that connect the homes as well as in the community park. They meet and greet and chat and share community news--about the guy that got a great new job, the couple with the new grandchild, the woman with the new dog she's trying to train.

He continued: The community park is furnished with benches, barbecues, and picnic tables, next to a little cottage which may be rented for $10 a day for a private gathering. The park is well used but never crowded. On the first weekend after Labor Day, the HOA hosts a free barbecue for all the residents. Every Halloween, the community has a Doggie Costume Contest. LOL!

Friends--dipsych--we can speak only for ourselves. As we see it, OF COURSE there's no perfect town (or perfect anything else)--ALL human beings are flawed and therefore any town that human beings create and inhabit is flawed!! All that we as human beings--and as a TOWN--can ever hope to do is to learn and grow by making intelligent, caring, prayerful choices, asking that our lives be infused by a loving and caring God.

For us, Asheville is that town. It is an architecturally beautiful little town with a willing heart and friendly spirit, nestled in God's second home--the Blue Ridge Mountains. But it is still a teenager and at times unruly. How we "parent" it--how we steward its resources and influence its direction (political, governmental, and otherwise), will determine its future. In our experience, people here take that journey in faith, which is a beautiful thing about much of small-town America!

You want a "small-town feel with a city attitude," dipsych??

Welcome home!

Jan
Jan, what a wonderful post!

So glad you've finally found "home"! I am sure I am not the only one who has been waiting patiently for you to post again and fill us in on your search. It sure looks like all you've been thru has not been in vain Best wishes on your new life!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 AM

648 posts, read 2,606,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
WOW! That's great that Eastmoor was to your liking. I have friends that live there and they love it, and their home is beautiful! It was the first neighborhood that I thought of that was in your geographic range and budget. I believe it's one of the best kept secrets in town, just tucked away above the river.

I've been working on my special place in heaven Enjoy your new home!!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:19 PM

70 posts, read 191,667 times
Wow, I am just checking in after moving here in December and I AM an artist and have wonderful friends here and neighbors. I can't believe this thread. Every Day we look at where we live and kiss the ground. Thrilled to be here....from Miami.....you sound like you either moved to the wrong area or met the wrong people.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM

70 posts, read 191,667 times
Wow, what a thread. I already posted once, but have to add....we think Asheville is HEAVEN on earth and as to the downtown hippies and drunks...welcome to a CITY! Meanwhile, we forgot to lock out door and the wind blew it open while we were gone four hours and guess what? NO ONE had entered and everything was there. In MIAMI, that would be an insurance miracle.Whenever the weather looks great we are stop working and go to do something.
The cool thing is it will be YEARS b4 we see it all and eat everywhere and enjoy all the views.

Go back to wherever you came from if you don't like it. Be HAPPY for yourself. We kiss the front windows everyday for our views.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM

16,301 posts, read 22,938,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Florida View Post

Go back to wherever you came from if you don't like it.
While I agree totally with this sentiment, that is not possible, because the wonderful place called Asheville has been destroyed. The peacefulness, friendliness, culture, quality of life, heritage and beauty has been destroyed, or is in progress.

You compare life here to Miami, which is like comparing apples and school buses, not even close, while I compare Asheville today, with the Asheville that was a great place to live. I realize that this is partly because of sociality changes, but the greed, and arrogance of wanting to bulldoze a mountain side so "I" will have a view, and the hell with what it looks like from the valley below, or how much mud washes into our once clear streams and rivers, or your yard or basement.

You embrace the freaks downtown? Have you stepped in or smelled where they choose to use the bathroom, typically the stair wells of the parking garages, or out of the way doorways. The freaks (leaches on our city) are so out of control the city has hired a Warden to police a tiny little park downtown, and it still smells like a urinal.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM

187 posts, read 887,157 times
Bitter... party of one?

Do something about it if you really take issue with what Asheville has become (in your opinion). Complaining about it on a message board and berating people who don't agree with you really doesn't solve anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina