U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,684,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The truth is often poorly received by those that don't want to see it.

And no I am not Kooter, and I strongly disagree with him on

This sounds like the comments from an outsider or someone that is clueless about the rural culture and ways of life.

Unemployed? Not having a 8 - 5 job to report to does not equal unemployed. The area is rural and many people are self-employed making a living off the land.

The fact you see them in the middle of the day in dirty cloths (that would be from already working 6+ hours) is not in indication of unemployment or slovenliness but hard work, and they will likely work many hours later in the day. If they are a dairy farmer, it goes on 7 days a week 365.

Poorly dressed, by whose standards? What would you wear to plow a field, tend crops, milk cows, fix a tractor, clean out a barn?

I dare say that any of these people you choose to belittle have done more before lunch than you accomplish all day.

Kooter has Asheville nailed, but is completely wrong about the natives of the area, some of the finest and hardest working people you could ever get to know, but apparently has chosen to judge incorrectly based of superficial observations.
Yes, I do have Asheville nailed. And I also have [many of] the people that live in rural areas around Asheville nailed too...as well as (I might add) many of the people that live in very close proximity of Asheville (e.g. Leicester, Woodfin, Weaverville, Marshall, Mars Hill, Flat Creek, Alexander, Barnardsville, etc., etc.).

When I speak of the MANY people that are unclean and lack proper hygiene I'm most definitely not talking about the good people that farm or work their land in some fashion. Those people work hard many, many hours each and every day and of course get dirty and they wear clothing that is appropriate when working. I have no problem with that and totally and completely understand it. Also, let me add that they are most always clean people. And they are good people... Let's get that straight!

I am talking about the far too large number of totally worthless people living in the western NC mountain areas that absolutely refuse to work and earn a living even though they are healthy enough to work. There are way too many people that live on government assistance (handouts like welfare, food stamps, food banks, etc.) when they do not deserve it. These people take advantage of the system and in my opinion are worthless. Oftentimes they are involved in illegal drugs and some are known for being theives. It is many of these people that you can usually tell right away by where they live, what they wear, how they look, how they smell, etc., etc. These are the people that have bathtubs and rusted-out cars and trucks in their yards, wear torn and soiled t-shirts out in public with their families, drive beatup old cars and trucks that shouldn't be on the roads, etc., etc. They just aren't the kind of people that one likes having near you.

How do I know this? I know it first-hand. I have many dozens of relatives that live all over Buncombe, Madison and Yancey Counties, and also in Eastern TN. Some of them are the very ones I am talking about! I've visited with them and I've seen how they live, and what they do. I've also visited with some of their neighbors. It's a way of life for them. There is no excuse for their laziness - they are worthless. And don't think for a second that you have to go deep into the mountains to find those types of people...because you don't. There are far too many...and they are everywhere!

I'm glad that you acknowledged that I nailed it about Asheville. But I think (I know) you are mistaken about the part you are in disagreement with me on. You may be a native, but something tells me you close your eyes to this part around you...

Last edited by Kootr; 07-18-2008 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,498,578 times
I suggest that your posts are for the sole purpose of being augmentative.

And I find it extremely shallow to judge people on what they drive, what they wear.

And since apparently no one here meets your standards in any way, one wonders why you are still here.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I suggest that your posts are for the sole purpose of being augmentative.

And I find it extremely shallow to judge people on what they drive, what they wear.

And since apparently no one here meets your standards in any way, one wonders why you are still here.
Nope - I'm not argumentative at all. You agreed with me on everything else that I said about Asheville. I have first-hand knowledge of the issue that we disagree about. Do you have first-hand knowledge?

It sounds like I hit a sore spot... Being an Asheville native it appears you don't like what Asheville has turned into with all the outsiders coming in and messing up the place, but you are unwilling to admit that what I say about [many of] the natives is true. Right?

Let's not put words in my mouth (or claim that I said something I did not) - I never said "no one" here meets my standards! There are many good people here, but there are way too many people that are not... Personally, I think you know exactly what I'm talking about. You freely talk about your disgust of what Asheville has become, but you seem to fall a little short on telling the truth about [many of] the natives.

Last edited by Kootr; 07-18-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,498,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
It sounds like I hit a sore spot... Being an Asheville native it appears you don't like what Asheville has turned into with all the outsiders coming in and messing up the place, but you are unwilling to admit that what I say about [many of] the natives is true. Right?
On the first point you are correct.

On the second point my view may be completely different than yours because I don't know your relatives you so belittled.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 21,549 times
I think I should have added that I am a Texas native. Well read, decently educated, and not narrow minded. My husband (who isn't a Texan, LOL) and I are pretty much the "live and let live" kind, and are looking for a mid-size town to relocate to that is in an area with less winter than northwest Illinois, has good employment opportunities in the computer field, and isn't in a frequent hurricane zone. Going back to Texas isn't an option for several reasons, and since it seems as if people are begging others NOT to move to this area, I'll keep looking. Thank you all for your opinions and perspective.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM

433 posts, read 594,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post
I knew I would take some heat from my comments and that's ok. I didn't ask anyone to share my opinion, I was simply making one.

Asheville isn't for everyone that's all. And telling people to just leave if they don't like it is definitely the answer to the problem.....but this is a discussion board, not a "post your comment only" board.
WELL PUT Why Did I.
I've lived in many locations in several states, including Asheville for a year, and while there are friendly and not-so-friendly people everywhere, I didn't find Asheville to be particularly friendly. Although it's very beautiful there.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,160 times
Default ...

I recently came back to the Asheville area last month after living in several different cities over the last 10+ years and it really does not matter if you live in Olympia, WA., the Bay Area, Denver, NYC or way down in Miami (or whatever city for that matter) the people are the same and the cities (especially here in the U.S.) are really not that different at all...I really hate to tell this to people (and I guess I am speaking directly to the people that hate it here in Asheville and are dying to get out of here and especially the person that started this post way back last year, Why Did I...I hope he's living it up in South Florida ) but, I've discovered that most want to believe that they've finally found that AWESOME city to spend the rest of their lives in...but that's not going to happen...you can waste your time moving around trying to find it but it's not going to happen.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 PM

9 posts, read 15,531 times
Default Artist?

What kind of an art do you practice? Were you trying to make money in Asheville or looking for inspiration and creativity? I love Asheville, I love western NC. I find it to be a very inspirational space once you can calm your soul a bit but it seems you would prefer to find yourself in one of those Bacardi "Mojito" commercials or in a club on South Beach. Which are very nice also but yes, different from Asheville.

Keep Asheville Wierd.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,368 times
Thanks for Posting, 'Why Did I'! I've met a surprising number of folks who've come to Asheville to 'live the dream', get disillusioned and leave. It's a great place, but not for everyone- the people I've met that have tried and left have come from all over. Places like Colorado, New Orleans, Austin TX, etc. and have diverse skills and age ranges.
There seems to be a lot of people in your same boat. I guess we just never hear from them.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 169,279 times
Default Lexington, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I think I should have added that I am a Texas native. Well read, decently educated, and not narrow minded. My husband (who isn't a Texan, LOL) and I are pretty much the "live and let live" kind, and are looking for a mid-size town to relocate to that is in an area with less winter than northwest Illinois, has good employment opportunities in the computer field, and isn't in a frequent hurricane zone. Going back to Texas isn't an option for several reasons, and since it seems as if people are begging others NOT to move to this area, I'll keep looking. Thank you all for your opinions and perspective.
That's Lexington, SC, about 8 miles west of Columbia, South Carolina. Lexington county is the fastest growing area in the S.C. and probably in the U.S. right now.

I spent 4-5 years in Asheville-Hendersonville and it has nice mountains, beautiful natural views, but I got depressed living in the mountains and Asheville just not as good for young educated people, plus I got turned down services by local businesses and I left. Columbia area has very friendly people.

I'd also recommend Charleston, Savannah or any city in Central North Carolina. Try also Athens and Macon, Georgia. The best climate in the South-East I think is in the NC-SC-GA Sandhills. Not as humid, as the coast or the mountains, a sea breeze most of the time, nice "mountain" views.

Last edited by neonrider; 10-17-2008 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.