Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post

**Crossing off Asheville as a place to visit**
Oh no, you can't; we need the tourist $$$, it is our only industry.

Three largest employers in Asheville area
Mission Hospital System
The Grove Park Inn
The Biltmore Estate

You gotta come down so all the people that depend on $8/hr jobs serving and cleaning up after all you nice visitors, can still not afford to live here.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM

23 posts, read 260,536 times
Yeah $8/hour is right. I didn't even touch on the job situation here in town. that's a whole other story.

And Nacht....I'm going to leave...don't worry. You can be rude to everyone else then who doesn't share your opinion.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM

134 posts, read 549,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Mission Hospital System
The Grove Park Inn
The Biltmore Estate

You gotta come down so all the people that depend on $8/hr jobs serving and cleaning up after all you nice visitors, can still not afford to live here.
LOL Sorry! Guess there are nice people out there!

Been to Biltmore already.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post
Yeah $8/hour is right. I didn't even touch on the job situation here in town. that's a whole other story.

And Nacht....I'm going to leave...don't worry. You can be rude to everyone else then who doesn't share your opinion.
With all due respect, aren't you also being rude to everyone who does not share YOUR opinion as well by putting down their home and neighbors?

So you could have had a thread that said "I did not see Asheville as being all that diverse, was a bit disappointed, and may move back to FL." Period. Then maybe the conversation would have been more civil. You DID set the tone.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:31 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Mission Hospital System
The Grove Park Inn
The Biltmore Estate
Here's some more:

Top Manufacturers
CUTLER HAMMER INC.
SONOPRESS INC
BORGWARNER TURBO SYSTEMS
OWEN MANUFACTURING

Top Non-Manufacturing Employers
MEMORIAL MISSION HOSPITAL INC
BUNCOMBE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
INGLES MARKETS INC
COUNTY OF BUNCOMBE
VETERANS ADMINISTRATION HOSPITAL
CITY OF ASHEVILLE
WAL-MART ASSOCIATES INC

Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM

134 posts, read 549,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
With all due respect, aren't you also being rude to everyone who does not share YOUR opinion as well by putting down their home and neighbors?

So you could have had a thread that said "I did not see Asheville as being all that diverse, was a bit disappointed, and may move back to FL." Period. Then maybe the conversation would have been more civil. You DID set the tone.
IMHO opinion having a person list off what is wrong with an area as opposed to have some one just say "dont let you the door hit you on the way out" is apples and oranges.

But that is just MHO.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM

191 posts, read 235,934 times
Quote:
IMHO opinion having a person list off what is wrong with an area as opposed to have some one just say "dont let you the door hit you on the way out" is apples and oranges.

But that is just MHO.
There you go sharing your opinion again.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 PM

191 posts, read 235,934 times
Quote:

Amen, sister.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:

But that is just MHO.
I hear you. I just mean that if you go read the OP, especially the last paragraph, it was pretty hostile and cut a lot of the people on this board down in a way (so Asheville people are not stylish or sophisticated and are boring. Good thing no one told the Vanderbilts that a hundred years ago) and I guess it set a tone for people to get defensive so those types of responses don't surprise me. My response was admittedly pretty snarkey too!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM

45 posts, read 219,524 times
Quote:
Bye. Enjoy speaking spanish and paying for overpriced everything.

Haha, anyone expecting Asheville to be comparable to a large city has lost their minds. Don't go to Boulder, CO then either (another artsy, "hippie" place). Geez.
I don't think this was aimed at me but I'm responding anyway. When I wrote my reply I actually had Boulder in mind to compare Asheville with. I'm not a fan of Boulder either. I guess my comfort zone is a different type of people. Someone else aluded to something like sheep following. I couldn't agree more. No original thought in either city. Just people trying to emulate and look and sound cool. I equate it to still searching for themselves and probably having insecurities that they would never admit to but not quite capable of sprinting out in front and being individual, instead of thinking they are an individual, only to find themselves surrounded by carbon copies of themselves.

Ah, I forgot about the Orange Peel. I would have to add that to the positives. They bring in some great music and not necessarily block busters...a lot of indies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina