U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM

23 posts, read 246,761 times

Advertisements

I knew I would take some heat from my comments and that's ok. I didn't ask anyone to share my opinion, I was simply making one.

Asheville isn't for everyone that's all. And telling people to just leave if they don't like it is definitely the answer to the problem.....but this is a discussion board, not a "post your comment only" board.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 23,386,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKatie View Post

Ah, I forgot about the Orange Peel. I would have to add that to the positives. They bring in some great music and not necessarily block busters...a lot of indies.
I like the acts such as North Carolina's own Unknown Hinson at the Grey Eagle Tavern & Music Hall on Clingman Avenue.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,391,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Here's some more:

Top Manufacturers
CUTLER HAMMER INC.
SONOPRESS INC
BORGWARNER TURBO SYSTEMS
OWEN MANUFACTURING

Top Non-Manufacturing Employers
MEMORIAL MISSION HOSPITAL INC
BUNCOMBE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
INGLES MARKETS INC
COUNTY OF BUNCOMBE
VETERANS ADMINISTRATION HOSPITAL
CITY OF ASHEVILLE
WAL-MART ASSOCIATES INC
Careful with the info - last time I posted info, I got flamed and told I was rude and inappropriate.....

Old 04-30-2007, 05:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,391,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I like the acts such as North Carolina's own Unknown Hinson at the Grey Eagle Tavern & Music Hall on Clingman Avenue.
Agreed and occasionally Malaprops has an enjoyable local writer / poet.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,152,412 times
Actually, I think Why Did I performed a service whether you approve of his views or not. (I'm assuming male with the HOT reference...) This is not a forum where only complementary expressions of a locale can be posted. Everyone is free to express his or her feelings and the information can be just what someone is looking for and may keep someone from making a decision based solely on nothing but chamber of commerce promotions. Perhaps if he had seen something along these lines before his move, he might not have made it. There is no requirement here for fair and balanced so don't climb on his back if he expresses his disappointment.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM

905 posts, read 2,891,539 times
I guess Asheville is not everything to everybody that is to be expected anywhere. It sounds like "Why Did I", did their research, visited and moved. Once here they found things were not what they seemed. An expensive and time consuming mistake. I guess I would be a little peeved too.

I think its good to have a dissenting voice on here, it helps to put everything into perspective. Sometimes I read posts on here and they are a bit sugar coated.

I for one love Asheville, I'm 35 minutes away, far enough to escape the daily grind but close enough to enjoy all that Asheville has to offer.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 PM

105 posts, read 346,789 times
I have visited Asheville on business a few times, and it's unique - gorgeous city, but just not my type. Nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would suggest some extensive research and visit to the area before moving, it's not for everyone. Downtown was a little uncomfortable in spots.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM

134 posts, read 491,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I guess Asheville is not everything to everybody that is to be expected anywhere. It sounds like "Why Did I", did their research, visited and moved. Once here they found things were not what they seemed. An expensive and time consuming mistake. I guess I would be a little peeved too.

I think its good to have a dissenting voice on here, it helps to put everything into perspective. Sometimes I read posts on here and they are a bit sugar coated.

I for one love Asheville, I'm 35 minutes away, far enough to escape the daily grind but close enough to enjoy all that Asheville has to offer.
I think that is all the orginal poster was trying to get across and it seemed like everyone jumpoed down his throat.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 5,848,223 times
Yes, we know we have to check everything possible in person, but until then I ask the Asheville enlightened on this forum...

Will we fit in or around Asheville? We are :

Over 50 female/over 60 male; love horse-riding, competition rifle-shooting; actually like Goth and Punk rock!; and Shakespeare!; freelance photographer and elementary school teacher; not religious but appreciate decency of those who are; all over the map politically but tend to disagree with those who want to micromanage away everyone's freedoms; love showing purebred dogs; love the beauty of the outdoors; love old houses and despise new tract housing developments; love conversation with anybody, which we can't do where we now live. We live in Los Angeles, where hardly anyone speaks English. We have little disposable income due to insane high costs here, so we're not used to restaurants, urban highlife etc. as lifestyle.

Will we see the door swinging at us?

And by the way, we despise Los Angeles as well. When we move, while awaiting new state license plates, we'll sport a bumper sticker proclaiming "We hate California too, that's why we fled!" (Anyone who's read my L.A. posts will determine I don't sugar-coat L.A. in the slightest. I try to combat people's misconceptions and illusions with facts and five decades of personal observations.)

Last edited by fastfilm; 04-30-2007 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,211,899 times
well, i can certainly jump right into this conversation, as i have lived in fla and asheville. i moved back to fla. i will try to be unbiased and fair.

what i like about asheville: ppl are friendlier than in fla---in general. not too hot in the summer. mtn views are pretty to look at.

i move back to fla (orlando), i got lots of traffic, 5 months of summer, expensive housing, and spanish speakers everywhere here in orlando. i swear orlando is a mini-miami now.

but, i do like fla better, and that's why i'm here. i can put up with some of the "big city crap" that orlando has. the crime, the hispanics, traffic, summertime heat, over-priced housing, etc... in asheville i just felt like the pretty views and (generally) friendlier ppl wasnt enough for me to want to live there. ppl (esp. in downtown area) were really weird. i mean weird. asheville acts like a mini-san francisco, and really it's just a little bumpkin town with some hippies and girls who dont shave under their arms. very unnattractive ppl can be found in asheville. very split too --- either ultra-conservative or so left, it makes me want to be a republican!!! bumperstickers reading all kinds of rediculous crap everywhere. not a very diverse city (as it claims). everyone is either black, white or mexican. many illegals (here in fla too for sure).

but i'm not hear to bash asheville. it must be popular for a reason. i just wouldnt want to live there. fla has it's problems for sure --- orlando especially. but i just like fla better. i not totally thrilled with orlando myself, so moving to northern fla in the next few yrs is a big possibility. i bring this up b/c it just goes to show, if you think you will be happier elsewhere (whether in the same state, or a different one) we have the freedom to make that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina