U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 AM

4,299 posts, read 12,931,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
What an interesting thread.i appreciate a different opinion about Asheville and wondered with the mass move down there if everyone was living happily ever after. I understand how one can get the "sugar coated sway" by this forum.It happened to us with CHarlotte,,we were BEYOND disappointed when we actually spent time there and saw what was being touted as some grand new utopia. Different strokes

Maybe for some folks it is a utopia and for some not. You need to spent time in a place before you move. This forums are based on personal opinion, read carefully and proceed with caution.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:36 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,262,282 times
I'd like to add to the OP that 5 months is too soon to judge. I moved to Fl 23 years ago and I missed NY, my friends, my family, I did adjust and ultimately spend 22 very happy years in So. Fl. 5 months is not enough time to decide if Asheville the right place for you.JMO. I recently bought an old farmhouse 1 hour from Asheville and I LOVE the area. Good luck. Give it a little more time to adjust!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM

23 posts, read 246,491 times

I know 5 months isn't a long time, but trust me....Asheville is NOT for me....never will be. Fortunately, I know that in 5 months. People have told me "oh you haven't given it enough time" and I always say, "well in another 6 months I'll really know and I'll be p.o.'d at myself for waiting that much longer. Besides I'm a firm believer in once you don't like something, I'll never like it no matter what. Can't ever get the things I don't like about something out of my head.

If I were closer to retirement age, I could say that I would stick it out longer and give it more time. But really, I'm mid 40's. Asheville just isn't happenin' enough for me and I'm probably just a little too young for it. IMO anyway.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:26 PM

187 posts, read 885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post

If I were closer to retirement age, I could say that I would stick it out longer and give it more time. But really, I'm mid 40's. Asheville just isn't happenin' enough for me and I'm probably just a little too young for it. IMO anyway.
This really has nothing to do with age - I'm in my mid-30's and enjoy Asheville greatly. It's not like Asheville is only for retired people...

To be honest, as an avid hiker / camper, it works to my benefit that there are a lot of retired people here. The best hiking takes some effort to get to, and the majority of people around here don't want to get out of site of their cars, let alone make an effort to hike where they have never been before. I have had transcendent hikes in the mountains where I didn't see a soul, other than my dog.

The idea that someone can be bored here implies to me that they need to be entertained, rather than seeking out the things that truly make this area special.

South Florida probably is a better location for you.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:33 PM

165 posts, read 758,408 times
Come live in Hudson, Pasco County Florida for 5 months and you'd be begging to get back to Ashville.

Having lived in NC & Fl I can tell you that is my experience, I am soon leaving FL, (not soon enough) for Madison County, NC.
IMHO

Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,197,157 times
dont take this the wrong way. i'm a nice guy. but...madison co nc? leaving fla for madison co?

Old 05-02-2007, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 246,491 times
HUH? If Ashevillle isn't for me why would I move to Hudson, Pasco County??? I've never even heard of Pasco County, or Hudson. I can imagine there is less there than there is here.

I've been to Madison County, NC too. I firmly believe that place is for "locals only" Good luck!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,197,157 times
if you dont like asheville, you most certainly would not like madison co. definitely for LOCALS ONLY. there's nothing there.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,000 times
I came to Asheville before hurricane Katrina, and there are only two things keeping me here:
1) My extended family isn't in New Orleans anymore, thanks to Hurricane Katrina.
2) My doctor has been dealing with a specific health issue of mine for several years here.

If it weren't for that, I'd be back in New Orleans! Ugh, Asheville is awful. You can't go anywhere downtown without being panhandled. At least in New Orleans, the beggars will tell you a joke or try something original like a card trick to get some money. In Asheville, they just follow you around for blocks.

"Asheville is a disease."

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 AM

4,712 posts, read 13,109,835 times
We were hassled one nite by "panhandlers",it was ugly.Our car,parked by the old "WoolworthS" was swarmed .One severly drunk man even cornered our 10 yr old.But that can happen any where I guess. We were just walking to our car after dinner,and it was early,about 7:30.Police were not too concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina