Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM

23 posts, read 260,536 times

Advertisements

If I thought I hated Asheville last week things have gotten worse. My car was broken into Monday near Pack Sq. I can relate to the homeless panhandlers too. Panhandlers are in Miami too, but you don't often see them when you're trying to get to your car after dinner. I always see panhandlers poking their mugs through the windows at restaurants here trying to make the patrons uncomfortable. I'm sorry to the woman who is stuck here because she's being treated by a dr. and cannot get back to N.O. NOLA is a great town, great people, a lot of fun and yes many homeless and panhandlers....But there is NO COMPARISON of New Orleans to Asheville. N.O. is a diamond. Asheville is coal. 3 more weeks and I'm officially gone and believe me it won't come too soon!!!!!!!

I agree.....Asheville is a disease. Thank God I'm going to be cured of it.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Funny, the last time I was panhandled downtown (over a year ago, and I work downtown), it was by a guy who claimed he lost almost everything during Katrina!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post
If NOLA is a great town, great people, a lot of fun and yes many homeless and panhandlers....But there is NO COMPARISON of New Orleans to Asheville.
Bwahahahahaha! That was a GREAT laugh, thanks. Anyone comparing two totally different places is wasting time.

Hey everyone, let's talk about how San Diego compares to Boulder, Co. I mean, that makes sense, right?

So you hate Asheville and are moving. Great.

But the horse has been dead a week or more, had rigor mortis, and you are still beating it. Let it go.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Bwahahahahaha! That was a GREAT laugh, thanks. Anyone comparing two totally different places is wasting time.

Hey everyone, let's talk about how San Diego compares to Boulder, Co. I mean, that makes sense, right?

But the horse has been dead a week or more, had rigor mortis, and you are still beating it. Let it go.

Was even funnier when he compared Asheville to Miami/South Beach.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:09 PM

23 posts, read 260,536 times
I started this post, but you're right....the horse is dead and beat. But let me ask you, why are you still reading and answering this post if it's beat? Aren't the charlotte boards enough for you to handle?

Trust me, there's no comparison of N.O. or south beach to Asheville. Not it's location, sophistication, activity level or it's class of people. I'm glad you enjoy living here. I'm sure your life is filled with excitement.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
aoa

2 posts, read 12,780 times
Default Heres what I have found about asheville after 5 years

Survival Guide to Moving to Asheville

For all of you out there thinking about moving to Asheville, there are some things to consider before coming:

1) Although there are a ton of open minded (and educated) folks here, much of the city is still representative of the Southern stereotype, especially right out side of town.

2) This area is beautiful with a wide variety of outdoor adventures to keep an outdoor enthusiast busy for years, but good paying jobs can be tough to come by in Asheville. Some folks say the best jobs go to folks in real estate, the medical industry, or any niche area where your skill is in high demand. Service industry and youth worker jobs are what many folks jump into upon moving here, only to find they are still doing the same job at the same pay five years later.

3) Buying or renting a small house can be expensive so prepare for higher rates than the rest of the state/region.

4) Although it is relatively easy to get involved in community and make friends easily in Asheville, this is an area of high transition: folks move in for a few months and then away again. It seems like many folks move here to find themselves and then move away once the soul search is over.

5) Asheville can be a great place for entrepreneurs if you have a niche product or service to offer, but there are many folks hanging signs out, only to go out of business less than a year after opening. The last Asheville guidebook mentioned quite a few businesses to visit, many of which are no longer operating only five years after this particular book was published.

This is only the opinion of Jonathan Poston, not derived from hard research. If you have anything to add, email me at info@aoanewsletter.com or visit www.aoanewsletter.com (broken link)

Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Did I View Post
I started this post, but you're right....the horse is dead and beat. But let me ask you, why are you still reading and answering this post if it's beat?
Um, out of sheer curiosity as to why on earth this thread is still alive and to point out to you that you are harping on a subject and droning on and on and on. We got your opinion, thanks for it.

The beauty of this forum is that it is constructive. This thread is no longer helpful. Move on.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM

134 posts, read 549,400 times
Quote:
Um, out of sheer curiosity as to why on earth this thread is still alive and to point out to you that you are harping on a subject and droning on and on and on. We got your opinion, thanks for it.

The beauty of this forum is that it is constructive. This thread is no longer helpful. Move on.
Then why do you continue to read it and comment?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Then why do you continue to read it and comment?
Thanks for your question! Your post proves that it's time to lock this thread! As I said, no longer helpful!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:

AMEN TO THAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina