U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM

23 posts, read 217,991 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and had to post after reading yet another review of Asheville from someone who recently moved here.

I have been in Asheville for almost 5 months. I did a lot of research before my move, visited a couple of times and finally made the plunge. Now, I am thinking to myself..."What a HUGE mistake. HUGE!" As an artist, I came to Asheville, checked out the River Arts district and thought this would be a great place to be inspired. Yes, there's art here and it is sort of inspirational, however Asheville itself isn't really the "artist" town a lot of people like to proclaim this place to be. In fact, Asheville is, especially on this forum, GROSSLY over-rated as some sort of life re-inventing utopia, artist colony or culturally diverse mecca. The people here are odd. Very odd, but I wouldn't say they were culturally diverse. There are hardly any african americans here, hardly any asian. Is the hippie population and the "goth" kids roaming the streets at night part of this cultural diversity? I can honestly say that in the time I've been here, I have barely met anyone I would want to sit down with for more than a casual dinner. That's sad.

I have found this forum frustrating when so many tell people, "c'mon down". You'll love Asheville....everyone loves Asheville. Well I'm here to say that no, everyone doesn't love Asheville. Pretty, yes. But then what? There is not much to do here short of listening to bluegrass music and a travelling show here once in a while. I haven't even seen anything good.

I think the marketing company for the Chamber of Commerce ought to get an award for duping me and a bunch of other people I've met since I've been here. It seems lately I'm meeting a lot more people who are looking to get OUT of Asheville. I'm one of them. I'm sure I'll get plenty of people telling me to take my yankee butt back up north, but that's ok. This is an opinion board and I'm just putting it out there like all the ones who rave about this place. Asheville is boring....and over-rated. I'm taking my butt back to Miami where the weather is warm, the people are stylish and sophisticated....and the girls are HOT!!!!

For all those coming thinking of coming here from Miami.....you will be bored to death here!!!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM

648 posts, read 2,044,688 times
True, the weather is not warm year-round, people are generally not stylish or sophisticated. Asheville is not exciting, and the girls are not as hot as in South Florida. And it's certainly more exciting in SFla.

For those looking for those things, you WILL be disappointed in Asheville. I'm sorry you made the mistake, and I hope it didn't cost you too much to try it here.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM

772 posts, read 1,515,887 times
I'd tend to agree...I've lived here for 5 years now. It's eclectic, and different, but kind of a strange place. A weird combination of hippies and ultra conservatives. Very little racial diversity at all, and it's becoming unaffordable. I'll be moving away next year after my son graduates from high school due to the high cost of housing and lack of good job possibilities. I have a good job now, but if I were to lose it for some reason in the next year, we'd have to move sooner than expected or just scrape by until after he graduates.

I've actually seen some pretty high profile acts since I moved here. Jerry Seinfeld twice, Bill Cosby and Pearl Jam. Every once in a while someone good comes to town.

We're pretty much decided on moving to Austin, TX, after he graduates. A larger, warmer version of Asheville with a good job market and inexpensive housing, comparatively. I think Asheville's a wonderful place to visit, just not a great place to live if you have to settle down and find a good job.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM

191 posts, read 21,765 times
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 217,991 times

Typical......

Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM

152 posts, read 607,518 times
Gosh, if you want Miami, or something like it, you would certainly be disappointed in Asheville. I have visited both and they are pretty much opposites IMO. Asheville seems to be a nice town, but definitely not cosmopolitan. Asheville, I would think, would seem like a very small town compared to Miami. Small town living is definitely not for everybody, and sometimes you have to experience it to know that. Of course, Asheville is large compared to a really small town. I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you and wish you the best in your move back to Florida.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM

45 posts, read 159,673 times
Welcome to Asheville. I tend to agree with you. I have been very disappointed in Asheville. There are some great people there but I somehow think that a lot of people tend to think hippie and goth are considered culturally diverse and especially the hippie and goth themselves believe it. Asheville seems to be a magnet for both of those type people. I have found the city to be dirty. It always looks like it needs to be power washed. There are many homeless people huddled on the streets of downtown. It makes me nervous to walk down a street and see 2 or 3 homeless people tucked in a doorway with bottles of alchohol in their hands every few feet. That is not an unusual scene. The type artist found in Asheville can be found all over the state so there is nothing unique about them.

The only good thing for me about Asheville is the Biltmore, The Grove Park Inn and the Hayward Park Hotel. I approach the mountains from a different area and like the smaller areas close to but not in Asheville.

I'm sorry you feel duped. Maybe try a smaller area (there are many) where a lot of artists gather and live. These tend to be more upper scale areas where the population is better controlled simply by the expense of living in the community. Quite frankly I tend to take my business elsewhere because of the over abundance of hippies and goths.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 PM

229 posts, read 704,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
True, the weather is not warm year-round, people are generally not stylish or sophisticated. Asheville is not exciting, and the girls are not as hot as in South Florida. And it's certainly more exciting in SFla.

For those looking for those things, you WILL be disappointed in Asheville. I'm sorry you made the mistake, and I hope it didn't cost you too much to try it here.

Good point. Not sure how anyone who has done any amount of research would come to Asheville expecting South Beach.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 PM

31 posts, read 247,959 times
I lived in Asheville for a long time and eventually left. I now live in Denver and I LOVE it. Sure there's more people, traffic, crime, etc, but if it gets to be too much I escape to the mountains.

I was always bothered by the lack of ethnic diversity. I was also bothered by the pretentiousness ("I only read Kafka", "Kill your TV", blah blah). Practically everyone you meet is an artist or a writer. So many are looking to buy a gallery, get their big break, etc. There's sooooo much competition in Asheville if you're an artist. You have to have something extra special to make it as an artist in Asheville and many don't. Sorry.

Towards the end I thought Asheville WAS NOT diverse. How can it be diverse when practically everyone downtown is a punk, goth, or hippie? 'Tis not diversity in my opinion. Just more sheep following the herd. Too many drugs too. Heroin is making a huge comeback and it's freakin' pathetic. I saw so many strung out people downtown. It got old.

My dad still lives in Asheville and I get highly annoyed everytime I go back for a visit. More mountains are gone, traffic is getting heavy, and the lack of diversity sucks. I'm going back in June after being away for a year and I'm dreading it a little. I moved there in '92 and it was so different back then. It breaks my heart to see what's happening to Asheville.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM

134 posts, read 398,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
That is just not nice. People are entitled to their opinions, but I guess not in Asheville. Do you really think that this is the type of response people would want?

**Crossing off Asheville as a place to visit**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina